My 6.0 trans cooler findings

4cstr

Reaction score
I had an Autometer 0-60psi electric boost sending unit go out on me...took me forever to realize it. It was cheaper to replace the entire gauge with a mechanical one that to buy a new electric sending unit.

I've got the big 6L tranny cooler sitting in the shed waiting to go on the truck. Just need to find the time to remove my tru cool max and get the 6L one installed.

And I agree on temps. I've gotten stuck in a high rpm...low speed hill climb with the camper on back. Crested the hill at 225* on my gauge. (Autometer Cobalts - electric) Called the builder about it and he said don't sweat it. I haven't and the trans still operates great. The new fluids can take heat much much better than the old fluids.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had an Autometer 0-60psi electric boost sending unit go out on me...took me forever to realize it. It was cheaper to replace the entire gauge with a mechanical one that to buy a new electric sending unit.

I've got the big 6L tranny cooler sitting in the shed waiting to go on the truck. Just need to find the time to remove my tru cool max and get the 6L one installed.

And I agree on temps. I've gotten stuck in a high rpm...low speed hill climb with the camper on back. Crested the hill at 225* on my gauge. (Autometer Cobalts - electric) Called the builder about it and he said don't sweat it. I haven't and the trans still operates great. The new fluids can take heat much much better than the old fluids.

Seen 280+ on a mud road stuck with a gn trailer and a backhoe. It was hairy but I.just ignored the gauge and acted like nothing.was wrong. The fluid wasnt.bright red.but.wasnt.black like people thought it would be. I changed it.that night though! Flushed the cooler and lines too. Trans made it three years after that. Tough trannys for.sure.

TARM

Reaction score
That is why we have gauges after all to tell us when we are doing damage so that we can then ignore them and pretend nothing is wrong. LOL I mean seriously come on LOL

I could not resist sorry.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That is why we have gauges after all to tell us when we are doing damage so that we can then ignore them and pretend nothing is wrong. LOL I mean seriously come on LOL

I could not resist sorry.

Sometime a trans is the least of your worries. When 38" tires that are 15.5".wide.wont hook what are the other options? Couldnt even back down. Stuck! 280 isnt a giant.deal.for.a.minute.or.two. We wound up unloading the backhoe, driving.the.truck out under.full throttle, getting.the backhoe.stuck(4wd) and using its appendages to push it up to the road.

Having.said.that I.did appreciate.what happened.enough to.go.home.and.crawl under it to change the overheated fluid. I changec fluid every 3mos or when something like this happened. Good thing its retired now LOL

I dont.mind.the.jab Tarm. I just would.like to know that the fluid got hotttt! My new.gauges would have been showing that everything was "fine". Ha ha

skew12

Reaction score
If you.dont tow, im not sure its worthwhile anyway unless you live somewhere hot. If you have the radiator cooling its probably real unnecesary. I do not so it would be.good for.me. Ive seen a 100° drop in egts since I ditched.the 37s and went to 35s. The truck feels.different too. In a good way. This truck.is.going.to be for pleasure, light duty/around.the.house work, and 5th wheel camper mule. So, a built.trans is in order for.reliability anyway. I kinda wanna try out an ultimate trans out of Garden City, Idaho. They machine the 4r100 to.accept a 13" convertor vs the 12". They hold big #s.behind the cr 5.9 and 6.7. Id like to.try something new. Bts is.a.slam dunk. Sounds like twisted is too. Sorry, im rambling. Nobody to.talk trucks.with around here.

I don't tow for the most part. Especially now that the truck is on 6" and 37's and I don't feel like dropping $200 on a drop hitch I'll barely use. But I did see about 150* increase from stock. But it's no biggie because I watch those gauges like a hawk.

That ultimate trans sounds damn good. But it's hard to go with something other than BTS. Brian is just far too proven. Though I'll actually be going with Twisted for mine. They're right in my back yard and they've been quite good to me. Great prices, my truck is ALWAYS ready when they say it will be if not early, and their sales manager Buddy listens to all random/outlandish ideas and gives me an honest opinion. Unlike a lot of shops around here that just push you into their products/profits. I'm sure he's realized I research the **** out of what I'm putting on that truck.

Sad part is the next mod was finding a good forged block and starting that, but after the lift/tires went on it became evident that I'll need a new trans. I just don't have the money for it yet!

Sorry for rambling myself, I don't really have any truck friends either lol.

TARM

Reaction score
Ty,

Just having some fun as you know. Could not leave such a opening alone especially after all the talk how upset you were with bad low reading from the autometer sensors LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
Wow I just bought auto meter factory match, I hope they don't take a dump.

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wow I just bought auto meter factory match, I hope they don't take a dump.

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

They wont!The gauge.will tell you the fluid is about 150°F whether it is or its 200°. It seems as though their sensor has to be "heated" for it to get the correct temp to.the.gauge.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I will have to agree on AMs quality, my last 2 gauges took a crap in a month. And the fuel pressure sensors I got to replace it were different by 5 psi....

Personally its hard for me to trust the PCM. the factory gauges tell you on, off or fooked.

My AM water temp is 5-10* different then my scan gauge. Personally I trust the AM over the PCMs interpretation of a voltage signal... When I start the truck cold my ECT starts at 200* and slowly climbs to 240* as the truck warms up and then magically jumps to 180* and operates normally up till 203*...

Latest posts

Members online