My 6.0 trans cooler findings

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
So last summer having all my gauges installed I was seeing trans temps around 80-100 above outside temps. So the trans was running pretty warm when it was 80-85 out I would see around 180 unloaded. 200 ish loaded This is bone stock 7.3 trans and cooler. The temps are a little higher then most but the truck also is running 4.88 gears so around 65 mph im seeing almost 2500 rpms

When switching over motors I had Marty install a 6.0 cooler while everything was apart. (Also purchased the cooler from him as well).

Finally got my gauges all in working order again and had similar temps today around 80*. Had my trailer hooked up today and was seeing temps around 130-140* unloaded. This is with a 20ft car trailer.

While loaded with a crew cab dually oñthe trailer I never saw temps above 155* and I saw 160 one time going up a bridge.

The only difference between last summer and this summer towing is the addition of a 6.0 cooler and bts valve body.

Needless to say it was a very worth while "upgrade" as the addition of those 2 items dropped temps approx. 50* avg

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Very nice, I out a 6.0 cooler in when the new trans went in.

For a week I thought the gauge was broken as it never went above 110 on the highway LOL..

TyCorr

Reaction score
If its an autometer gauge, it probably is^

Oh and 200°=big ***kin whoop. Thats lower than the threshold for whats considered high. I personally dont.want 120° atf. Imagine how long it takes to heat the shti in the winter? If you live in a southern, hot.climate Id run mega cooling but I made it 245k with a stock.7.3 cooler and lifted with big tires pulling.a trailer with a skiddy and trees on it. 12k goin out, 18k coming in. I changed.my.fluid every three months.and it.was.fine.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
LOL

I got 10 of em:gun:

Im on the tenth sensor and my second gauge for trans temp. It.still fails after a month or two. I.see.isspros in my future. The cts is a.lifesaver.

The tranny gauge is the one I.call the.folly on. My.buddy Kyle was going on about.how.cool his.trans was with the stocker and a trucool in series. I put the cts in his.truck and.watched his world.crumble. A loaded trailer and he literally had skyhigh bp. Lots of.fellas with autometers cruising around.thinking.they are.cooling.superpowers that have fluid.that is.50° hotter than they think.

If you have a scanguage or insight and everything jives, carry on. If the readings arent close you know.what Im saying.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
What happened to Autometer. They use to be at the top and now its like they are worse than Glowshift. That hurts to say but Glowshift has gotten a bit better and AM seems to have nosedived. Was there a change in ownership or merger or did they shift manf to a different china factory etc.... Something has to explain it. I am glad I went with IssPro Performax. I hate big bundles of wires to track thru and make neat let along tracing out if there is an issue.

TyCorr

Reaction score
What happened to Autometer. They use to be at the top and now its like they are worse than Glowshift. That hurts to say but Glowshift has gotten a bit better and AM seems to have nosedived. Was there a change in ownership or merger or did they shift manf to a different china factory etc.... Something has to explain it. I am glad I went with IssPro Performax. I hate big bundles of wires to track thru and make neat let along tracing out if there is an issue.

They.got an even cheaper supplier for their sensors and inputs. I went to.their.headquarters and factory and they couldnt show.me ONE gauge. They said they didnt have ANY here. Not even a sample board like parts stores have. I.finally went to no limit racing.and told.Mark what was going on. He.ordered me what he.believed to.be.their best gauges and they are pure shti. The gauges in my 95 eclipse have been in there since 97 and they still work. Sensors and gauges.made in the usa. Mark offered.to give.me.my money back cuz.autometer.told.me and him, their.vendor, to.shove it. The dikcweed I was corresponding with told.me "you installed the gauges/pods incorrectly" I sent him a.video of.me re-installing.said bs. No.reply. They take my name.when I.call and I.get put on hold indefinitely. Chickenshti business move 101:if you're so wrong you dont even wanna face your.problems a t like they dont.exist. Oh, I.should be completely honest here. They did offer to let me.ship my brand.new gauges to them and in 4-8 weeks they'd "let me know" if.there is something wrong with them. LOL, yea, ok jagoff.

Isspro makes better looking.gauges to boot. I still.cannot.grasp what good autometer thinks.they are doing by pushing metering.devices.that dont work.

TARM

Reaction score
Sad truely sad. But thank goodness for capitalism as there is always gonna be someone to step in and fill a space where there is money to be made. Good gauges at a fair price compared to where the market is at. In this case its Isspro

skew12

Reaction score
Isspro's are great!

So has anyone compared numbers of the 6.0 coolers with isspro's?

imelmo

Reaction score
For the record, I saw good results with the V10 cooler on the Pumpkin. And it's a direct replacement unlike the 6.0 one. No add'l fittings needed or whatever it was you need for the 6.0 ones.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Isspro's are great!

So has anyone compared numbers of the 6.0 coolers with isspro's?

One of Joe's(csipsd) buddies, catdiezel comes to mind, said.looking at his scanguage and isspro gauges he can see the gauge keep time with the terminator gauge. Like I said, I thought life was good and my trans was cool as ice with these gauges but I overheated it when my fluid was 180°. I thought, "wtf, I was cruising, freshly off.an interstate with the cruise.set @75". Now.75 mph might put some guys at 2500 rpm but with 37s and 3.73s im not sure Im much above 2k R's. Im loafing along at 75. Tore the trans out. Burnt to.shti from overheating. Get a replacement, put it in, run it and its.smellin funny. Gauge says its fine. Change fluid, tear front end off for.cosmetic upgrades and decide to pitch my trans cooler. Got a hayden 60kbtu. Put the truck back.together. Won the cts and started wondering.what was what. Tested trans fluid temps independent of the cts and my autometer gauge.kit. Repeat test on a 00 ec/lb 7.3. Same results. Different autometer gauges but.they were off too. Did.the test a third time with identical.results. The short and.long.sweep.gauges both missed the.mark so.dont.buy into.that hype about the long.sweep being accurate as compared to the short. They use.the same POS sensor. The sensor.that doesnt.give.a.rats.ass what model.gauge its hooked to. I have been called a liar by some for revealing this but I burned up a trans.just putting.along where it survived.previously pulling 20k. Then when I damn near burned up the next one in the exact scenario, with new guts and.fluid, you have to see.whats what. Autometer giving.me rebuttal after rebuttal told.me they know that their setup is pure bs. My boost gauge kit stopped working.too. The line is hard and brittle already, the tee.rotted off, and im pretty sick of this crap. The.gauges will be a year old on Sept. They've been out.for.repairs, all three of them, since installed. Its pretty sad. Im either going to tap my manifold and use 1/4" bs for my boost reference line or.get isspro gauges. Im leaning towards the latter as I wanna get a.new gauge cluster face in silver or.white and run some different needles. This.red.crap is hard on my eyes. Green or aqua blue is in order. White with blue needles would match the isspro gauges in white/aqua/silver.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i have autometer cobalt, full sweep electric guages. two years installed, plow snow in the winter, never had a failure of a guage or sender. boost, egt, fuel pressure, and trans.

the problem, is where the wiring attaches to the sender in the trans guage, is not a weather proof plug.

a little dielectric fixed that.....

TyCorr

Reaction score
i have autometer cobalt, full sweep electric guages. two years installed, plow snow in the winter, never had a failure of a guage or sender. boost, egt, fuel pressure, and trans.

the problem, is where the wiring attaches to the sender in the trans guage, is not a weather proof plug.

a little dielectric fixed that.....

This is my third set. The other two are still alive. Mine hasnt even been in good ole IL salt since install. I painted my frame, trans, and chassis last fall and it hasnt even got.dirty yet. My connections are all shrink wrapped, twice. The sender was telling.me the atf was 100° upon cold.startup. It was NOT working. My previous set of gauges.are in a psd down the.road and.they still work but the trans temp is inaccurate compared to pcm.

Autometer changed something in the past 3 years.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ty you talking about the no limit diesel boys out in leland?

Yessir. Bought gauges from him. He was close. I needed a dealer because autometer isnt.capable of showing any samples or retail sales. Im.working.on a custom overlay now that'll match the white/aqua isspros.

psduser1

Reaction score
180* is just about perfect for a transmission, imo. "Cool' fluid, as in less than 140*, for long periods of time is hard on a trans also, although not like 250* oil. Wish I could find the test online where I saw that, sorry. I have had a few of mine apart and saw plenty of hot ones!!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
180* is just about perfect for a transmission, imo. "Cool' fluid, as in less than 140*, for long periods of time is hard on a trans also, although not like 250* oil. Wish I could find the test online where I saw that, sorry. I have had a few of mine apart and saw plenty of hot ones!!!

I agree! Something that is designed and intended to be a certain temp should in fact operate there. People think if.they could keep their fluid at 60° the trans would.last longer. Im fine.with 180. I know I already mentioned it but my acquaintance has two.coolers in series and he likes to text.me when its 95 and say "im cruisin down the 80 at 70 with the air.cranked and my trans is only 140°." Then I remind him the day I had him pull my trailer with it and the cts was reading 200°. He was about to convulse. He still hasnt figured out his trans gauge was at 160 when I was getting 200° readings. Ignorance is.bliss.

skew12

Reaction score
One of Joe's(csipsd) buddies, catdiezel comes to mind, said.looking at his scanguage and isspro gauges he can see the gauge keep time with the terminator gauge. Like I said, I thought life was good and my trans was cool as ice with these gauges but I overheated it when my fluid was 180°. I thought, "wtf, I was cruising, freshly off.an interstate with the cruise.set @75". Now.75 mph might put some guys at 2500 rpm but with 37s and 3.73s im not sure Im much above 2k R's. Im loafing along at 75. Tore the trans out. Burnt to.shti from overheating. Get a replacement, put it in, run it and its.smellin funny. Gauge says its fine. Change fluid, tear front end off for.cosmetic upgrades and decide to pitch my trans cooler. Got a hayden 60kbtu. Put the truck back.together. Won the cts and started wondering.what was what. Tested trans fluid temps independent of the cts and my autometer gauge.kit. Repeat test on a 00 ec/lb 7.3. Same results. Different autometer gauges but.they were off too. Did.the test a third time with identical.results. The short and.long.sweep.gauges both missed the.mark so.dont.buy into.that hype about the long.sweep being accurate as compared to the short. They use.the same POS sensor. The sensor.that doesnt.give.a.rats.ass what model.gauge its hooked to. I have been called a liar by some for revealing this but I burned up a trans.just putting.along where it survived.previously pulling 20k. Then when I damn near burned up the next one in the exact scenario, with new guts and.fluid, you have to see.whats what. Autometer giving.me rebuttal after rebuttal told.me they know that their setup is pure bs. My boost gauge kit stopped working.too. The line is hard and brittle already, the tee.rotted off, and im pretty sick of this crap. The.gauges will be a year old on Sept. They've been out.for.repairs, all three of them, since installed. Its pretty sad. Im either going to tap my manifold and use 1/4" bs for my boost reference line or.get isspro gauges. Im leaning towards the latter as I wanna get a.new gauge cluster face in silver or.white and run some different needles. This.red.crap is hard on my eyes. Green or aqua blue is in order. White with blue needles would match the isspro gauges in white/aqua/silver.
Sweet jeebus I see why you were pissed. I would have been too. That's not fun, nor is it cheap. I dont know if I'll ever throw a 6.0 cooler on there unless I can damn near steal one.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sweet jeebus I see why you were pissed. I would have been too. That's not fun, nor is it cheap. I dont know if I'll ever throw a 6.0 cooler on there unless I can damn near steal one.
If you.dont tow, im not sure its worthwhile anyway unless you live somewhere hot. If you have the radiator cooling its probably real unnecesary. I do not so it would be.good for.me. Ive seen a 100° drop in egts since I ditched.the 37s and went to 35s. The truck feels.different too. In a good way. This truck.is.going.to be for pleasure, light duty/around.the.house work, and 5th wheel camper mule. So, a built.trans is in order for.reliability anyway. I kinda wanna try out an ultimate trans out of Garden City, Idaho. They machine the 4r100 to.accept a 13" convertor vs the 12". They hold big #s.behind the cr 5.9 and 6.7. Id like to.try something new. Bts is.a.slam dunk. Sounds like twisted is too. Sorry, im rambling. Nobody to.talk trucks.with around here.

Latest posts

Members online