My Redemption build

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I had my trac loc installed this week by the guys down at Dieselmore in the east valley. They were AWESOME to deal with. Install was quick and easy. They were very professional and even did a little extra work while it was down there.

I will post pics and a review of the trac loc soon

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I can't even tell it is back there. ZERO negative affects. No banging, grinding, clunks or anything. No chirps around corners at all. I love it. The only thing I notice is that I have better traction. I have not beat on it too hard yet but as of right now ZERO tire spin. I have been experimenting with tuning and working through a few issues. I hope to load up a full blown race tune soon and try to get some tire spin action with two thick tire patches on the asphalt.

Here are some pics of the install.

97B4B56F-02B4-4425-8793-60DD976A552E_zpsvnff1nvl.png

C955109A-F52D-42E8-901D-7846C0E59234_zpspkpqhfsp.png

2D919202-16C0-4DFF-AB7F-3C6F324A729B_zpsgciolixm.png

3035F990-A1C3-4EBA-A925-974EF0186AFC_zpsnpnety8z.png

KCTurbos

Reaction score
So have u changed up the set up at all yet?

All we changed was... all new rings, gaskets, seals, LPOP, and oil cooler... LOL.

It has been a rough couple of weeks. I was working with a shop who shall not be named. Let me just say that all the vaseline in the world cannot help how much pain I feel coming from my back side... if you know what i mean. I got royally screwed in more ways than one.

I won't go into the whole story but the worst of everything and last straw is that I had the previous shop replace my front cover and LPOP last month. They installed it using about 2 tubes of silicone, did not use one of the dowel pins, and installed the cover crooked which caused the LPOP to rub the cover.. This lead to sending metal shards and silicone through the whole motor and basically ruined my built motor

It is sad that I have to resort to using shops for my own truck... but we are not a full service shop. We just build turbos... and it has been so busy that I have not had time recently to even work on my own stuff.

After this whole nightmare I decided to give another shop my business. Diesels and More in Apache junction stepped up and offered to help. Let me say that it has be a GREAT experience. They worked extra hours to help squeeze me in. They pulled the motor, tore everything down, cleaned everything, rebuilt the whole motor, and got it all put back together. It was VERY impressive how quick and clean they worked. Even though they already had a full schedule, they managed to get the truck done in a very timely manner. They communicated with me the whole time and kept me updated on their progress.

I just picked up the truck last night and I am breaking in the motor. I am so glad to finally have it back.

BEWARE WHAT SHOPS YOU TRUST WITH YOUR TRUCK!

Thanks Cory and Chris from Diesels and More

valvetick

Reaction score
Glad you like the trac loc I loved mine in my old car and truck and never once had weird sounds or clunks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Glad you like the trac loc I loved mine in my old car and truck and never once had weird sounds or clunks!

Ya. It has been great. The only thing I notice is better traction. I completely forget it is back there until I go to beat on the truck... and the tires don't spin anymore.

I can't wait till the motor is broken in "again" so I can load up a full fuel tune and test it out better.

valvetick

Reaction score
Ya. It has been great. The only thing I notice is better traction. I completely forget it is back there until I go to beat on the truck... and the tires don't spin anymore.

I can't wait till the motor is broken in "again" so I can load up a full fuel tune and test it out better.

You pull out and make a right turn and give it too much throttle yet have have the rear end swing out rather then your 1 tire fire you've always had in your trucks? Prob will save on tires too you would spin every shift before

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Its funny u finally got a descent posi, i always laughed at your one tire fire vids lol

My old maroon truck had the stock LSD. It had a 2 tire fire, but did not always work right.

This truck was completely open, not even the stock LSD. It was ridiculous.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I am at 250 miles... only 250 miles more to go before I load up a race tune.

I am currently running a 68mm stage 3 on the truck with our new updated turbine wheel. EGTs are great. Only about 100 degrees higher cruising compared to the stage 2. I have been seeing about 600-700 on flat ground. In the early morning hours when temps our low I see about 550-650. Truck spools very well. Not instantly like the stage 2 but still very well. I will try and monitor more to get actual data.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Best way to break in an engine is to load it up. Like pull a trailer down a hilly highway, so it loads and unloads the engine.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Towing Update:

Well I towed heavy for the first time this weekend. I was a little nervous because last time I towed heavy was on one of our original KC68 stage 3 turbos from years ago and it did not tow well. We have changed a lot over the years to make it spool faster, tow better, and run cooler.

This time it did GREAT IMO. Here is the info.

Truck was fully loaded down with passengers and a full truck bed full of fire wood. I was towing a 28' toy hauler fully loaded down, with gear, atv, fresh water, gas, and the grey/black tanks had not been dumped yet. I did not weigh it but I am guessing around 12,000 lbs.

I went up to the mogollon rim with is about 7500-8000 ft in elevation. That is about 2 hours from my house here in mesa/Phoenix which is at 1000ft so it is a pretty good climb the whole way.

Still running 205/30 with our newest KC68 stage 3 turbo. I did not have a "tow tune" so I ran my SPD tune with PHP Econo Ficm Tuner. It is still about a 550-600hp tune. I had them lock out OD when the tow/haul button is pressed so I can control my OD better.

Flat ground I saw about 800-1000egts

I could easily maintain 65-70mph going up even the steepest grades. Egts were about 1000-1250. Truck never even got close to being maxed out. I was usually only at about 40% load and throttle position... Truck always had Tons of power left in her... but egts would go up above 1250 if I used it. I had to keep rpms above 2400 when pulling any sort of grade or my egts would start creeping up, I never saw higher than 1250 because I would just press my tow/haul button and the truck would downshift and cool off.

This is what I usually saw going up the steepest grades.

egts 1100-1250
boost - 20-25psi
ebp - 20-25psi
engine load - 40-45%
throttle position - 40-45%
coolant temp - 220
oil temp - 206

I could easily hit 40psi of boost with more throttle position, but it was just more than I needed to maintain the speed at 65-70mph

Not bad for a 68mm turbo and 205cc injectors IMO... while running a 550-600hp tune.

On the way back I was a lot lighter after dumping all the firewood/water. I raced a buddy with a stock 6.0 running a "tow tune" and he was pretty embarrassed when I pulled on him. He said it was because he spun his tires.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not recommend towing on a race tune... I just wanted to try it and see what happened.

7A54E881-A585-4F90-A96E-5E487C01950F_zpsbexpgb1h.png

Here is a video of me making the steepest climb at the highest elevation... for anyone who knows the area this is the BIG climb right after Christopher Creek as you climb to the top of the RIM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qlxXCYQ4-M&feature=em-upload_owner

This is what my truck looked like at WOT with the 12k trailer behind it. I rolled into it at about 15mph and let out at around 65mph because I hit traffic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nffxV3wh4

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I plan on hitting the rollers next week and do some dyno testing. I am gonna start with this "SPD tow tune" to see how much power it has.

I ran in 6.0 techs truck and I would say my 550-600hp guess is pretty spot on.

colo_dually

Reaction score
Great numbers there, partner.

Makes me want to go back to the drawing board on my injector plans.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I could look back and see, but with this build, you have an upgraded cam, pistons, and intake right? How much success do you contribute to that? Would you expect anywhere close to similar results with a stock truck?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I could look back and see, but with this build, you have an upgraded cam, pistons, and intake right? How much success do you contribute to that? Would you expect anywhere close to similar results with a stock truck?

That is a really tough question to answer. I did so much at once that it is hard to know exactly what is doing what. Every mod creates a different "improvement" IMO so answering your question is very hard. I also don't know what you mean by a stock truck?

I have had guys with have just a stage 3 and 190/30 lay down more power than me on a dyno. I also have guys with 205/100 and KC stage 3 that tow much heavier than me and love it. So obviously results will vary.

I also believe there is a point of diminished returns... like when someone claims that an intercooler lowers egts 150 degree, and someone else claims a ported intake lower egts 150 degrees, then add in 100 degrees for an air filter, 100 degrees for a turbo, 100 degrees for a custom tune, etc... etc... with all those mods we should be running negative egts at idle? Right? lol

Just like adding a 100hp ficm tune + 140hp SCT tune does not add 240hp.

Latest posts

Members online