Need better brakes...

njjeep

Reaction score
I have napa's "best" calipers rotors and pads on all four corners. The fronts already seem to be warped with only 15-20k miles. How does there warranty work? Do I just bring them all in with a receipt and get new?

rascal

Reaction score
Went to EBC yellow stuff pads w/ EBC GDP rotors when I did my Dynatrac fixed spindle upgrade about 5K ago. Could not be happier with the whole set up.

ncdzl

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have napa's "best" calipers rotors and pads on all four corners. The fronts already seem to be warped with only 15-20k miles. How does there warranty work? Do I just bring them all in with a receipt and get new?

I bought 4 new napa rotors a while back and had to take right at .006 off to true the new ones fwiw.

Mdub707

Reaction score
So... finally updating this. I really just don't drive the truck much anymore so I put off doing anything with the brakes for a while. The front finally started squealing a bit and I was noticing rust build up on the wheel.... so it went metal to metal. I did ALL new stuff. Rotors, calipers, pads.

For calipers, I went with new (remans) from Advance Auto. They had them in stock and when ordering online you can use the code TRT41 to get $40 off any order over $100. The calipers were ~ $145 total without core($73ish each I believe, +$35 core each). So after core return and the discount I basically got the calipers for $105. They came with new brackets and all new hardware as well. I also opted to paint my calipers and brackets this time. I hate how new calipers turn to rusty looking in like a week....

Pads I went back and forth on a few options but based on what I had read here and some insight from others I opted for the EBC green stuff. I went with the 7000 series (the 6000 series supposedly has more dust etc). These ran about $100 or so shipped online. I have since found a local 4x4 shop that said they can beat the prices of everything I ordered and I feel like a fool for not doing that the first time. I hate buying stuff from big box stores. Anyway....

For rotors, I scoured the online stores again (mostly just to see what is available). I really wanted to get coated rotors, because they just seem to hold up so much better in our NY winters. The cooling vanes will rust like crazy otherwise. I found Rock Auto sold Raybestos units that were coated and slotted. I later found out that Napa sells these same rotors under their house name "Reactive-one." So I went to Napa and ordered them. They came in next day. They ran about $155 each. A little pricey, but they were everything I wanted.

I finally got it all on the truck yesterday and have been driving around. Pedal feel is already way better. EBC instructions say the red top layer on the brake pads will make them feel really strong but it's just a break in material and they will get to normal after that wears through. I'm trying to take it easy on these and bed them in nice and even. I really want these to last a while. A few trips around the block and they looked like they were hitting pretty evenly. I have ~$500 into the whole setup on the front now and this is all new components. I'll keep everyone updated:

Newbrakes_zps3bd9e1cb.jpg

PSDEng

Reaction score

How have your napa calipers held up?

MR PERSONALITY

Reaction score
may I ask detail, ebc say they make one for the excursion 2WD so I take it, it should fit the Truck. but they cannot supply me a pic. can anyone help here

Mdub707

Reaction score
$155 a rotor??
You'll love the green stuff pads! They are relatively low dust and stop great!

I checked again, I think that's what they told me in the store, but when I checked my receipts they were closer to $125 per rotor, with a AAA discount. They were a smidgeon cheaper on rock auto, but shipping basically evened that out. Even the standard rotors that were coated from Napa were close to this price. I was getting coated one way or the other, after running coated rotors on my Jetta, they just hold up so much better in our winters.

How have your napa calipers held up?

I know you weren't asking me, but I've had calipers from Motorcraft, Napa, Advanced Auto etc.... they're all basically the same. My OEM ones that came on this truck lasted the shortest amount of time honestly. All the ones you buy are remans of Ford calipers anyhow. The problem I usually have is the pistons crack and become oval shaped and then wont recede into the caliper.

I've got a little time on these now and so far I'm quite impressed! I think I need to do a brake fluid flush though, the fluid doesn't look great and it can't be helping anything.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Well, here we are a while later and my brakes are still holding up great. I ended up re-doing the rears after I had a rear pad get so thin it slipped between the rotor while towing a car trailer home... that was a good time.

Anyway, did Napa premium rotors and pads and new (reman) calipers from Advanced Auto for the rear. I painted the calipers again which seems to be helping keep everything much nicer. I've been very happy with my EBC pad and slotted rotor setup on the front, brakes very hard when I need it to, no squealing at all (which others told me I would probably have) and honestly brake dust isn't that bad either. I expected more dust than I get.

I've towed my camper a few times now and twice without the use of electric brakes. The truck did great and one time I hadn't even realized I forgot to plug the camper in completely. I was half way home before it dawned on me!

I've been very happy with the brakes this time around and would highly recommend this pad/rotor combination.

Snake

Reaction score
Well, here we are a while later and my brakes are still holding up great. I ended up re-doing the rears after I had a rear pad get so thin it slipped between the rotor while towing a car trailer home... that was a good time.

Anyway, did Napa premium rotors and pads and new (reman) calipers from Advanced Auto for the rear. I painted the calipers again which seems to be helping keep everything much nicer. I've been very happy with my EBC pad and slotted rotor setup on the front, brakes very hard when I need it to, no squealing at all (which others told me I would probably have) and honestly brake dust isn't that bad either. I expected more dust than I get.

I've towed my camper a few times now and twice without the use of electric brakes. The truck did great and one time I hadn't even realized I forgot to plug the camper in completely. I was half way home before it dawned on me!

I've been very happy with the brakes this time around and would highly recommend this pad/rotor combination.

Mike -- happy to hear everything is working out! :toast:

I have around 15k miles on my setup and would definitely recommend it as a much more expensive alternative. Very happy.

Latest posts

Members online