Need help/opinions from some more experienced 6.0 guys

sprayjock

Reaction score
I strapped on the travel trailer last week to head to the mountains, its a 30' bumper pull, weighs Im gonna guess in the neighborhood of 6000, so its not a beast. I got an hour down the road and started having heating problems, the coolant temp would instantly jump 25 or more every time I would start up a hill and as soon as the fan would lock up it would cool it right back down, when it would do this it would push coolant out the cap. I babied it along and arrived at my destination. The next day I took a drive thru the hills with no trailer and it was running consistantly hotter than normal, on the drive I noticed I was loosing power goin up the hills.
Long story short, I opted to leave the trailer at the campground when I headed home yesterday. The entire 5hr drive home I fought it running hotter than normal and the power constantly fading, infact I nearly didnt make it over Raton pass, now jump ahead to getting home and the moment I pulled in my driveway it developed a dead miss.
I plugged it up to the computer and all I find is cylinder 1 contribution code.
I know that ive been running on borrowed time on my inj seeing im sitting at 120000 miles, but what Im wondering is the heating problem and the bad injector related or just a coincidence that they came about around the same time??

Sorry for the novel but thats about as short as I could make it....

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
did your oil cooler possibly rupture? low oil level? I would say that the 2 aren't related but its always a possibility

sprayjock

Reaction score
No oil level is fine, infact when it started running hot the ect and eot numbers went from averaging 13-15 degrees apart to 5-10 degrees apart. Also no evidence of any coolant in the oil, it still looks good, only has about 3500 miles on the oil.

sprayjock

Reaction score
You think its gaskets? It only pushed coolant when it got hot while pulling the trailer. It didnt lose a drop without the load,

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
did you do a thermostat when you did the headgaskets? is your radiator clean? do you have boost or exhaust leaks? do you have enough hpo?

sprayjock

Reaction score
Thermostat is original as far as i know, I never did gaskets, I studded one at a time 45 thousand miles ago. Radiator is not out of hand but could be to dirty. Boost holds steady and I dont find or hear exhaust leaks. Dont know about hpo.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
depends on the load..... do a wot run and check icp voltage..... should be around 4.7 volts i believe if your pump is good

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
see what it runs at idle... i would wait till you get the injector done before driving it much

sprayjock

Reaction score
at idle it hangs around 1 volt or just under, Im planning on doin a full set of injectors, as soon as I get all the parts ordered in and paid for. prolly goin up to 155/30%s with a reg return. Had that planned before I had this trouble.

Latest posts

Members online