Need help with run issue

Diesel X

Reaction score
2004 6.0. Was find one minute and then felt like it lost fuel. Gave throttle and just died. Will barely run for 10 to 20 seconds and if you give it throttle it will die. Has fass fuel system that you can hear running. No water or clogged filters. Topside filter has fuel. FICM reads 48.5 volts with key on and when barely running. Some one told to unplug IPR valve nad no difference. SCT Livewire reads code P0341 cam position sensor. Would this be the problem? Talked to a mechanic that said it could throw that code from cranking it. At a lost now on what to do. Sorry for the long post but wanted to gave all the facts

Diesel X

Reaction score
No I haven't. Just pulled the cap under the hood and turned the key to verify fuel was pumping. I'l have to get a gauge and check it. Just watched a video and it looks like I need 45psi?

Diesel X

Reaction score
Just checked to see if my livewire had a fuel pressure reading and it didn't have it. I did try to crank it and now no start at all. Checked the codes again and found two more. 2623 and 2290 both are icp sensor related so I guess I'll get a new one of those also

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Just checked to see if my livewire had a fuel pressure reading and it didn't have it. I did try to crank it and now no start at all. Checked the codes again and found two more. 2623 and 2290 both are icp sensor related so I guess I'll get a new one of those also

Is this an early or late 6.0? Icp on the passenger valve cover, or back on the hpop cover?

2290 is a low pressure code, can’t remember what 2623 is, but I think it’s a circuit code. Could be set by low pressure or a bad sensor. Check voltage koeo thru your live wire. Should be .23v koeo or thereabouts.

The early sensors are a known failure, happen all the time. They leak internally and contaminate the pigtail with oil. Change the pigtail as well if you change the sensor. Also, only buy ford/motorcraft for the sensor if you decide to change it.

The 03-04 pumps are also known to grenade fairly often, and could cause all the problems you’ve described

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score

Could be the ICP sensor as stated, as well as a bad HPOP it could even be a IPR valve causing the no start. Or O-rings have blown out. If it's the feed tube for the HPOP it will not start even when cold.

Diesel X

Reaction score
Replaced the icp sensor and no luck. Cleared the codes and the icp sensor codes did not come back while trying to crank. Still working on getting a fuel pressure gauge. Going to rain all day so no chance to do anything today

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
You also need to check to see what you HPOP pressure (icp) is while cranking. Unless you have done it already? That to me would be more important than the fuel pressure at the moment.

Diesel X

Reaction score
Ok I'll see if the livewire has that. If not I'll look up how to manually test it

Diesel X

Reaction score
Is this the value in lower left? That was while cranking. I know battery voltage is low now. It's raining and no chance to top off batteries

Attachments

• 20221002_101155.jpg
    20221002_101155.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 63

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is this the value in lower left? That was while cranking. I know battery voltage is low now. It's raining and no chance to top off batteries

That’s a little low, but enough to start. Would need to know what it does while running as well. Does this thing have a working egr valve and cooler on it?

co04cobra

Reaction score
If your icp sensor is under the turbo and that’s your psi cranking it’s probably your pump.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
That's enough pressure to start, yes. But barely. It should go a lot higher than that while cranking. Atleast in my limited experience.

That's about 535 psi. So enough to start but should Still go higher when cranking.

co04cobra

Reaction score
If icp is in the valve cover then that side is seeing enough psi to start. When icp is under the turbo they’ll see 500psi there but it’s not getting that psi to the rail. That’s why I asked location of the icp sensor

Diesel X

Reaction score
Update. Got the fuel gauge hooked up. Used a cap on the factory fuel bowl up top. The gauge read 43 pounds with key on and 41 while cranking. When I took the factory cap off the bowl was dry. Left it off turned the key on and fuel went all over a rag I had over it. The pump under the frame seems to run and then maybe times out?

Attachments

• 20220924_141339.jpg
    20220924_141339.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 57

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Update. Got the fuel gauge hooked up. Used a cap on the factory fuel bowl up top. The gauge read 43 pounds with key on and 41 while cranking. When I took the factory cap off the bowl was dry. Left it off turned the key on and fuel went all over a rag I had over it. The pump under the frame seems to run and then maybe times out?

Are you still running a filter in the upper housing? If not, did you gut the housing? (Pull the standpipe out) I was told when I did my first air dog kit to pull the stand pipe out, as it can be a flow restriction.

Diesel X

Reaction score
Still using a filter in the upper housing. Have been running that way for a couple of years since going to the fass pump with seemingly no problems

Diesel X

Reaction score
Hooked a hose to the fuel gauge adapter and put it in a container. Turned the key on and fuel came out strong. Poured some in the dry filter bowl with the lid off and it drained fairly quick. Is this a issue that the return regulator spring could cause? Seems likely its bleeding off all the fuel as fast as it comes in. Would the fix be as simple as a blue spring kit if that was the case?

Latest posts

Members online