New 2015 Ford Superduty 6.7 Updates

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
It's for an exhaust brake..the 2015 duramax's at my work have them too.
9ehateqe.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
The dmax has had it since 11. Dodge way before that. I'm not sure when Ford started. It works really great on my duramax. Exhaust brake and tow/haul it stops a load quick.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
In that case my 11 dually is a bit lacking in the engine braking department when loaded heavy. I don't think there is one on the earlier 6.7s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and ****.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That's good to know. The duraturds has always been manual to my knowledge. It works great too. Especially if you are in tow/haul and understand how to manipulate it all with the brakes. You can let out with 20k on board, tap the brakes, it'll grab a gear automatically, and then return to braking input upon which the exhaust brake is predicated. Slick as hell!

joe7e7

Reaction score
In that case my 11 dually is a bit lacking in the engine braking department when loaded heavy. I don't think there is one on the earlier 6.7s.

Lacking is an understatement. The new turbo makes a big difference exhaust brake-wise; even with just tow/haul mode engaged, the exhaust can activate on the '15 and it gets a bit more aggressive with the button turned on.

Spindrift

Reaction score
I don't like tow haul at all...on my 6.0s or now the 6.7. You can have a big load going down a steep hill and as you start to gain too much speed and brake, the tranny will drop another gear and the engine starts screamin'. I prefer to put it in Manual for hill descent. Much smoother IMHO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Yellow1000

Reaction score
Yea manual works great if only it was coupled with an exhaust brake

Spindrift

Reaction score
That would be friggin sweet. I'm wondering if that's what the '15s will have. I surely hope the "exhaust" braking isn't being done by the turbo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

joe7e7

Reaction score
If I understand it correctly, the exhaust brake relies on the turbo to pressurize the cylinder and keeps the exhaust valves closed in order to build back pressure, so technically the turbo works indirectly to create the braking effect. I could be wrong though, I'm no expert on this.

Idiesel

Reaction score
Yes the vanes close and put back pressure on the engine being why they work better at high rpm. The sad part is the c&c trucks don't get this benefit and they're the trucks usually hauling more often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBoy

Reaction score
If I understand it correctly, the exhaust brake relies on the turbo to pressurize the cylinder and keeps the exhaust valves closed in order to build back pressure, so technically the turbo works indirectly to create the braking effect. I could be wrong though, I'm no expert on this.

Nah, you have it a little off..

A jake brake opens an exhaust valve to keep compression from happening in the cylinder... Totally different than an exhaust brake that creates backpressure so that when the exhaust stroke of the piston is coming up to push the gasses out, the backpressure is pushing against the piston as it comes up..

I could not imagine any company putting a jake brake on any pickup.. Just think how many 17 year olds would be riding around with a 5" straight and the jake always on.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
compression brakes (jakes) are much more costly because they require many more parts under the valve cover, an exhaust brake is much simpler, almost as effective too.
compression brakes tend to be a little cleaner on the engine because instead of exhaust pressure holding it back its actually intake air that makes the engine one giant air compressor. Either way the switch is a mute point, i agree that the engine braking on a 6.7 isnt as good as it could be but its not bad, much better than a 6.0 or 7.3 with an automatic.

Turbo life should not suffer, you are under decel so the engine isnt turning crazy rpm and back pressure wont be that high, therefore shaft speed wont be that high either. Shouldnt effect life one bit.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Exhaust brakes and Jakes have a little different decibel range too wouldn't you agree Dustin? haha

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
A real jake brake opens the exhaust valve on the power stroke and keeps everything closed on the compression stroke.

So basically, you are cramming all that air and however much boost into the cylinder (which takes a considerable amount of power) on the compression stroke and then letting it all out before the combustion can push the piston down on the power stroke. The effect is that it takes considerable force from the driveline to keep the motor spinning (retarding horsepower or RHP)

A 3406 Cat can make over 700RHP in stock form. If a 6.7 PSD made even half of that, you'd need quite a lot of weight on the rear tires to keep them from dragging.

Latest posts

Members online