New one on me!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Do you have access to AutoEnginuity or something that read live data? There is a transmission temperature reading the PCM picks up (at least there is on my 95). It only reads in volts and not degrees, but somewhere there is a conversion tool that shows what voltage=temperature. I've checked mine a couple times and the gauge is typically within 10-15 degrees of what the PCM is reading.

I do have an AE, that is a good idea. I never knew you could translate volts into degrees....

Thanks for the insight!

BBottoms

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the conversion tool anywhere at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've got it saved on my home computer somewhere. If you can't find it let me know and I'll look for it. I know it exists because I've used it! :D

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the conversion tool anywhere at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've got it saved on my home computer somewhere. If you can't find it let me know and I'll look for it. I know it exists because I've used it! :D

I will do some searching here and see what i can come up with and let you know!

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
I have by-passed my cooler before and drove 35 miles to get home and didnt notice much of a raise in trans temps, at least it never hit 200 thats for sure.

There are 2 transmission coolers on the OBS, and I suspect also on the SD trucks. There is an oil to water (OTW) cooler at the bottom of the radiator, and then there is the oil to air (OTA) cooler in front of the radiator/condenser (for those with A/C). Bypassing the OTA cooler probably wouldn't make much difference, especially when running unloaded. It's only a single U-loop of tubing with fins, maybe 20-23 inches of tubing at best.
Now, bypassing the OTW cooler on the other hand, that would definitely make the temps rise.

Before you go adding more OTA coolers, make sure the OTW cooler is being used. If it's not, find out why.
OTW coolers are much more effective & efficient than OTA coolers.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
There are 2 transmission coolers on the OBS, and I suspect also on the SD trucks. There is an oil to water (OTW) cooler at the bottom of the radiator, and then there is the oil to air (OTA) cooler in front of the radiator/condenser (for those with A/C). Bypassing the OTA cooler probably wouldn't make much difference, especially when running unloaded. It's only a single U-loop of tubing with fins, maybe 20-23 inches of tubing at best.
Now, bypassing the OTW cooler on the other hand, that would definitely make the temps rise.

Before you go adding more OTA coolers, make sure the OTW cooler is being used. If it's not, find out why.
OTW coolers are much more effective & efficient than OTA coolers.
Thanks for the info, on my personal truck the transmission is routed directly to the OTA cooler, the OTW cooler was by-passed long ago.
I will check how its routed on my buddies truck, maybe his is bypassed also.

A large enough OTA cooler should be enough to cool the transmission without ever using the OTW cooler right?

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
A large enough OTA cooler should be enough to cool the transmission without ever using the OTW cooler right?

You don't want to get a cooler that large. Remember, the OTW cooler basically uses the whole radiator and lower radiator hoses as a cooler.
Could it be done? Yeah. But I'd expect to see a lot more variation in transmission temps in correlation with load and ambient temps than with the OTW cooler in the loop.

You can clean them out if they're plugged. This may not work if you had catastrophic failure, but if it was just worn out and plugged the cooler, I don't see why you couldn't clean it. I helped a bit as Cale did this when I got my transmission rebuilt at BTS.
Brake cleaner and low pressure compressed air repeatedly alternating through both lines until it comes out clean both directions. It helps to route the outlet line into a catch can so you don't make a mess spraying it everywhere. A 20oz mountain dew bottle with a paper towel seal works pretty well.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I have not had a oil to water cooler for 4-5 years. I have NO trans temp issues EVER...

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Yeah I dont know many people still running the OTW around here honestly, never knew it to make much difference.

So you route it into one side of the radiator, out the other side, then into the cooler then from the outlet on the cooler back to the transmission?

BBottoms

Reaction score
I found the conversion tool for voltage to temp readings. It's an .exe so I can't post it up, but PM me your email address and I can send it to you.

bluedge8

Reaction score
read the post 4r100 hot!!!, mark K has posted some valuable info, first the otw cooler ALWAYS cools trans fluid which can help in low speed driving without much air flow, second is that plate and fin coolers are far superior to tube and fin coolers. I was also having trans temp issues and ordered the tru-cool 4739, it's 12" x23" and I had no temps over 170* pulling my camper in 90* ambient.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
We tested him gauge tonight, it was nearly dead on with the transmission volts. So the gauge works.

Next step is his cooler being plugged/no good. We ordered new coolers tonight for both our trucks, ones that CaryT suggested. We will mock those up this coming weekend and hopefully that will fix the issue been having.

I put his old transmission in another truck ive got and ran the piss out of it and never got above 150*

TARM

Reaction score
Sounds like it almost HAS to be the cooler. IF I am understanding everything correctly. He had a old tranny the one you just referenced he felt it was going as it was getting very hot and slight slipping 200+ degrees. Then you popped in a BTS and it was also hitting over 200 degrees. You installed his old tranny in a truck of yours and ran the dog piss out of it and never broke past 150 degrees. The only variables seem to be the cooler and possibly the tunes if any. My guess is cooler.

97powerstroke

Reaction score
Buy the biggest tranny cooler you can find and put it on. I wouldn't run it through the cooler in the radiator either only because engine temps get around 200 degrees.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Buy the biggest tranny cooler you can find and put it on. I wouldn't run it through the cooler in the radiator either only because engine temps get around 200 degrees.

:whs:I have always suggested deleting/bypassing the cooler in the radiator. The trans will warm up on its own just fine, but trying to cool ATF when it is being circulated through 190°-205° coolant is hard to keep temps down.

-Michael

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
The trans cooler is on the bottom of the radiator, the outlet, where the coolant has been cooled. The engine, thermostat, & upper hose are the hottest places for the coolant before it gets to the radiator. It's all cooler from there.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
My trans was getting hot 2 years ago... I sprayed some brake clean in one line and then put the air nozzle to it and nothing came out the other hose. Did it again but longer and it built up enough pressure and blew a bunch of crap out.

Latest posts

Members online