New one on me!

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
If you do a lot of sitting in traffic it's not a good idea to delete the lines to the radiator cooler because you don't have any air moving over the tranny cooler to cool it. On an empty truck you should be ok, but if you're pulling a heavy load it may give you more issues in a stop/go situation.that being said, i have mine deleted on my truck and never run above the 170 mark, but i don't sit in city/ highway traffic either.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Sounds like it almost HAS to be the cooler. IF I am understanding everything correctly. He had a old tranny the one you just referenced he felt it was going as it was getting very hot and slight slipping 200+ degrees. Then you popped in a BTS and it was also hitting over 200 degrees. You installed his old tranny in a truck of yours and ran the dog piss out of it and never broke past 150 degrees. The only variables seem to be the cooler and possibly the tunes if any. My guess is cooler.
Correct Tarm! That pretty much means its the cooler, the tuning is great.
Buy the biggest tranny cooler you can find and put it on. I wouldn't run it through the cooler in the radiator either only because engine temps get around 200 degrees.
We already bought the cooler last night...will install it ASAP

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i got two of NAPA coolers and DD it is stays at 150 and hooked to a trailer it never got over 185 goin through town i kinda want to find a set of electric fans to put on them incase i ever get into a deep city

Arisley

Reaction score
I wish I had an OTW cooler on my radiator. It sucks when you are driving in stop and go traffic. The temp will climb pretty good on you.

To the OP, are you sure the TC is locking. If you are driving around with it not locking, it will make your temps rise really fast.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I wish I had an OTW cooler on my radiator. It sucks when you are driving in stop and go traffic. The temp will climb pretty good on you.

To the OP, are you sure the TC is locking. If you are driving around with it not locking, it will make your temps rise really fast.

Yes sir, its definitely locking. When that BTS locks up you definitely know about it!

Southmike

Reaction score
When you change the cooler check the old one to be sure you found it blocked or that was the issue.

TARM

Reaction score
It may still flow but if say the bottom half is blocked up.......

psduser1

Reaction score
I don't know your trucks general condition, but any load behind the output of the trans will raise your temps. As in, dragging brakes, bad bearing, etc. I've seen that sort of thing destroy a transmission, no matter who built it. Of course a bigger cooler can mask this.

Vengeance

Reaction score
If you put his old tranny in one of your other trucks and there was no issue, then swap the tranny coolers on the 2 trucks and see what happens.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
If you put his old tranny in one of your other trucks and there was no issue, then swap the tranny coolers on the 2 trucks and see what happens.

We actually got a brand new cooler for his truck Tony, it was time to upgrade anyway whether thats the problem or not. So once we install that we will know for sure.

dave186

Reaction score
The cooler in the bottom of the radiator is a must when driving around town with the converter unlocked. Ive tried it without it and temps go up quick. that lower tank stays a lot cooler than you think.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Well here is the deal. He DOES still have his OTW cooler in the bottom of the radiator, and he also has the stock ATW cooler than comes on these trucks.

Last night we completely deleted both of the coolers and just ran the lines together to see if maybe it would at least heat up slower (thinking one of the coolers was plugged causing it to heat up fast). Well that was a failed attempt and it heated up just as quickly. Now we are out of tests and will just wait for the new cooler to arrive

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Well here is the deal. He DOES still have his OTW cooler in the bottom of the radiator, and he also has the stock ATW cooler than comes on these trucks.

Last night we completely deleted both of the coolers and just ran the lines together to see if maybe it would at least heat up slower (thinking one of the coolers was plugged causing it to heat up fast). Well that was a failed attempt and it heated up just as quickly. Now we are out of tests and will just wait for the new cooler to arrive

So now you KNOW the existing coolers are not doing any good. The only way that could happen is if there is no fluid flowing in them.
I readily admit I know nothing about the fluid path in the transmission and any possible bypass. But I do know that barring any bypass being unintentionally activated, the only way to got have fluid flowing in the coolers is to take them out of the circuit (like you did when you plumbed the lines together), or if they (or the lines) are plugged.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
So now you KNOW the existing coolers are not doing any good. The only way that could happen is if there is no fluid flowing in them.
I readily admit I know nothing about the fluid path in the transmission and any possible bypass. But I do know that barring any bypass being unintentionally activated, the only way to got have fluid flowing in the coolers is to take them out of the circuit (like you did when you plumbed the lines together), or if they (or the lines) are plugged.

Yeah i have plugged my lines together and deleted the cooler before on my truck and honestly on the interstate didnt change the temps a whole lot for the 30 minutes i drove, but his heated up to 200* in 15 minutes of driving

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Yeah i have plugged my lines together and deleted the cooler before on my truck and honestly on the interstate didnt change the temps a whole lot for the 30 minutes i drove, but his heated up to 200* in 15 minutes of driving

Time to try new lines. For testing I'd put in a long clear tubing straight up from the transmission, through the window, into the cab so you can see it, and back to the transmission. That way you can see if it's even moving fluid.
If it runs cooler with the test line, then you know the steel lines are plugged.

As a last test, swap PCM and chip (if it's chipped). If it runs cooler then, well, there are tuning issues.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Time to try new lines. For testing I'd put in a long clear tubing straight up from the transmission, through the window, into the cab so you can see it, and back to the transmission. That way you can see if it's even moving fluid.
If it runs cooler with the test line, then you know the steel lines are plugged.

As a last test, swap PCM and chip (if it's chipped). If it runs cooler then, well, there are tuning issues.

What kind of tuning issues could be happening? We have switched from his old banks chip to custom tunes during this whole deal also, so i dont think its tuning.

But we will pull the hard lines and flush them out to double check them before we install the new cooler

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
there is a bypass on the side of the trans, that if open, will bypass all fluid to the cooler lines. that bypass is there so if the cooler ever got blocked for some reason, it would insta-burn-down the trans from no fluid. in essence, it goes from the outlet port, right back into the trans. if the bypass is the issue, you need to figure out why the bypass happened. i believe i read mark state that bypass failures were rare. if the bypass opened, it opened for a reason.

but it will do just what your having happen. heat up the trans fast, as the fluid never leaves it.

and what tony was saying, you moved the old trans to a new truck and the problems didnt follow. great. move the old cooler to the new truck also, see if the problem follows yet. if it does not, you have other issues. if it does, there, fix that. currently your putting a new cooler on it, without knowing for sure if you need one. you could be putting the new cooler on it, just to go, damn, thats not the issue after all.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
TT,

You beat me to it. What he said.

I was thinking it could be the bypass but that would not make sense as that was likely never removed from the old trans. TO me the only possibilities are a clog or crimped cooler line to from from the trans. Or The trans cooler itself. If either of these is an issue then fluid will go thru the bypass. Given that once the trans is up to temp cut off the engine. Pull on end of the bypass tube and start the engine back up if fluid comes pouring out you have your answer.

Also putting comp air ( 5-10 psi) to the cooler will answer that. Visual inspection of the hose and hard lines and checking for flow from each should find the answer.

Latest posts

Members online