New Shocks

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well Ford still uses the most POS shocks on the new trucks. I figured something has changed but nope. Nothing from the 04-08-16 trucks.
One down three to go. I usually use Bilsteins for everything and never had a problem.
Switched it up see. They have less rebound as the Bilsteins I have noticed already. We shall see the difference.
dd92b0769d0c96353ea56b9e08bc9676.jpg
fa23b003d0a771c08ae28cf2bfd393ab.jpg

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

bhudson

Reaction score
My '16 fx4 had Ranchos on it when I bought it. Not what I plan on keeping, but better than factory anyway

JRLott

Reaction score
Nice, tb. Do let us know what you think. I chose to put 4 Bilstiens on mine for the same money as 2 Fox...I'll upgrade next time. Everyone seems to love them.

Hudson, the "rancho" shocks consist of little more than a sticker for the fx4 package. Bilstiens on my '05 made a huge difference. I used a 2 1/2 inch spacer on it. They are much better on my '15 too, but I put 2 1/2" Carli springs up front as well. They are much better in the rear though. No regrets on the Bilstiens, but I want to give Fox a try next time.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I loved Bilsteins on the 08 450. I will drive it unloaded and then towing tomorrow so get to see instant.
I like stiff shocks. I am a believer of less spring rate and a little more dampening that what's required for the spring.
I had revalued Bilsteins in my 96 Impala that I auto-xed and road raced. They lasted great. Better than Hal adjustable a I had. Those suck ass.

c63 AMG

Reaction score
Put my Fox 2.0 on yesterday had about 14k on stock Rancho shocks. Fox feel good the ride is deff not as jarring. One thing I noticed is I now have 45-50 hop that I didn't have before. Putting on hellwig rear away, PMF dual stabilizer w/fox and PMF traction bars soon to see how that feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
My '16 fx4 had Ranchos on it when I bought it. Not what I plan on keeping, but better than factory anyway

Keep thinking those are better. It's a Rancho sticker and not much more. They'll be dead in 15K miles.

c63 AMG

Reaction score
Keep thinking those are better. It's a Rancho sticker and not much more. They'll be dead in 15K miles.

Agree. My 15 had the FX4 and the Ranchos sucked. Big difference going from them to Fox.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I loved Bilsteins on the 08 450. I will drive it unloaded and then towing tomorrow so get to see instant.
I like stiff shocks. I am a believer of less spring rate and a little more dampening that what's required for the spring.
I had revalued Bilsteins in my 96 Impala that I auto-xed and road raced. They lasted great. Better than Hal adjustable a I had. Those suck ass.

I completely agree after spending a small mint on custom springs thst lifted the truck, rode nice, and handled weight. Got real close but then realized soft springs, stiffer shocks, and bags to level since the rears are soft was an instant effect not a long process.

Those shocks look soooo nice dude.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Yea they do look better. It's comical how many people under dampen things thinking it's a spring problem. Hell for a while I had the stock springs in my Impala which were in the 450# range and had Hals which were 50/50 shocks and had the front on 6-7 out of 10 in the front. Then left them right there when I went to 800# springs.
Stiffer shocks help A LOT when towing.
I had pro comps on my 04 and would put them on full stiff towing. It worked great.

Yea two philosophies on suspension. Stiff spring soft bars and a lot of dampening or soft spring strong bar and less dampening. All gets the job done but it's all about feel.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Put my Fox 2.0 on yesterday had about 14k on stock Rancho shocks. Fox feel good the ride is deff not as jarring. One thing I noticed is I now have 45-50 hop that I didn't have before. Putting on hellwig rear away, PMF dual stabilizer w/fox and PMF traction bars soon to see how that feels.

You will like the Hellwig bars. I have them front and rear. The stock ones were about the size that belonged on a 2500# import. Much better feel and unexplainable towing the fiver.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea they do look better. It's comical how many people under dampen things thinking it's a spring problem. Hell for a while I had the stock springs in my Impala which were in the 450# range and had Hals which were 50/50 shocks and had the front on 6-7 out of 10 in the front. Then left them right there when I went to 800# springs.
Stiffer shocks help A LOT when towing.
I had pro comps on my 04 and would put them on full stiff towing. It worked great.

Yea two philosophies on suspension. Stiff spring soft bars and a lot of dampening or soft spring strong bar and less dampening. All gets the job done but it's all about feel.

Yessir. I often wondered about using that big ole damper you find in a coilover as a shock. Bolt it in and be done. I think everyone, even the designers of them, underestimated how heavy it all is and used a standard automotive designed shock that was longer.

For example, when the sd first came out we were throwing triple shocks on the front to get enough dampening for a 35-37" tire.

Id like to run a big fox or higher end bilstein on my old truck when i get it ironed out.

dboat

Reaction score
This thread has piqued my curiosity. I recently bought an 09 F250.. it has Rancho shocks on it.. when empty, on the fwy, ride isnt too bad.. but on the city streets, its pretty rough..
Is everyone saying go to Bilsteins or Fox with more dampening to get a softer ride?

JRLott

Reaction score
Bilstiens made a world of difference on my '05. Much better on my '15 too. Everyone that has run Fox says they're better. Some of them hated Bilstien.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Unloaded the truck is much better and feels more planted. Not to soft in my mind. The rebound is less I can tell now. Compression seems about the same as the Bilsteins as far as I can tell. The front of the truck recoils over the speed bumps up then down to the static height. No second motion up again.
I can't say that I like the shocks better than the Bilsteins or not. Towing will be the tell tale sign. Again I like dampening so a stiff shock does not bother me. Some like a cloud, I don't. I like feeling the road and what the vehicle is doing.

I actually just ran the normal yellow ones, called HD or 4600. Some are running the 5100 or better. Either way any of them will be better than stock.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
This thread has piqued my curiosity. I recently bought an 09 F250.. it has Rancho shocks on it.. when empty, on the fwy, ride isnt too bad.. but on the city streets, its pretty rough..
Is everyone saying go to Bilsteins or Fox with more dampening to get a softer ride?

From my experience in vehicles, to have a better ride you have to have less dampening, rebound in particular now this is taking into account the compression circuit is not almost closed off or you have a high spring rate. A lot of the ride comes from the back, so the front can be pretty stiff in comparison. Less rebound means softer ride but also less control to a point.
Most shocks are going to be 50/50 shocks unless they are fully adjustable, compression and rebound adjusters.
So if you get a shock that has a lot of rebound in it then the compression most of the time will be high to, hard to push the shock in because the rebound is pushing against you and the compression is not letting it compress.
To get the softest ride is to have just enough dampening to control the spring. The Fox 2.0 shocks seem right about there. Bilsteins I had on the 08 450 had more rebound from what I can tell so the ride was a little stiffer. If you daily drive the truck and not tow a lot with a lot of pin weight, get the Fox shocks. If you tow a lot I would actually think of the Bilsteins because of the more rebound but I will give my take when I tow the fiver tomorrow.

dboat

Reaction score
Thanks! As of now, we flat tow the Jeep or use it for road trips. So not a lot of tongue weight. Am looking to move to the occasional trailering of the Jeep rather than flat tow, when going several hours away. So the Fox 2.0 looks to be the choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online