Not your Normal No start 6.0...Need some suggestions

Gary

Reaction score
Well there is one last thing I can think of. I have known this twice before where the tone wheel on the crank spun, so the injectors were out of time. Both trucks were in shops that friends of mine owned so I didn't actually have my hand on them, I just helped them over the phone. On the first 6.0 they pulled the engine and compared the crank to another good crank, spun the tone wheel to clock it, then welded it, and that fixed it. On the second truck, my buddy said he was able to remove the crank position sensor and stick a screwdriver in it and move the tone wheel. On that truck the customer declined to repair it and sent it to a auction.
So maybe you have something like this going on. It may be easier to pull the oil pan to check it, IDK?? This could possibly be your problem.

bretferd

Reaction score
I went through the same thing recently. Couldn't get a buddies truck to start. All oil pressure was good. It would try to start really fast and show 1300+ psi for icp. So I changed the glow plug module and nothing changed. It would only start when plugged in. I ended up just changing the fuel filters and now runs like a top. I know you said that you checked fuel pressure ( I did not when having this problem) but could be something cheap to try.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
We'll after going nuts.... Looks like we finally see an issue...never will I trust ids again for compression. #2 100psi....4&6 barley gets 200psi.... I didn't bother with the other cylinders. New short block for this one as well....

Ids came back with all cylinders good number 7 iirc was a touch under but still adequate

ghohouston

Reaction score
We'll after going nuts.... Looks like we finally see an issue...never will I trust ids again for compression. #2 100psi....4&6 barley gets 200psi.... I didn't bother with the other cylinders. New short block for this one as well....

Ids came back with all cylinders good number 7 iirc was a touch under but still adequate

I've never been a fan of "relative compression tests" for this exact reason

webb06

Reaction score

Yikes. So IDS showed straight across the board on relative compression? I generally do 3 relative compression tests to make sure it isn't biased on one test.

Wildman

Reaction score

Relative compression is generally extremely accurate as long as nothing is affecting the readings during the test (hydro lock, bearing failure, etc). You can't go by the color (green/yellow/red) of the bar graph, you have to go by the % of each cylinder. Any cylinder that reads 2% or greater can have a low compression condition. If you get a reading of 2% or greater on a cylinder, then you can do a manual compression test to verify.

Reaction score

I'm going to guess they're all low, throws the IDS off because the evenly low compression doesn't cause an rpm change.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Get some new batteries in it and put a amp clamp on the injector wires to make sure the ficm is actually firing them. I had one one time where every single thing checked out but the FICM just wasn't firing the injectors for some odd reason put a new ficm in and it started right up. Diesels only take two things to run, fuel and compression. Sounds like you have fuel, time to check compression!
Called it!

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
ok, well after getting non stop customers for the past 2 weeks, I was finally able to set the cab down on the frame last night, spun the starter befor I lowered it, made low pressure oil, tonight il button everything up, and hopefully have this truck finally started!

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
got this truck started up for the first time in a long time last night. I have a little wrapping up to do in order to get this truck drivable, but hearing the engine start was a great sign.

Members online

No members online now.