Obs 38 gallon rear tank.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Has anybody ran this fuel tank with 5" exhaust? From the research I have gathered, the tank hangs approximately 7" lower than factory. I am afraid this might have clearance issues with my 5" exhaust where it comes over the rear axle.
Depends on how the tailpipe is bent. I'll take a pic later today of my 4" with the F26 tank so you can get an idea.

I am planning on making a 5" tail pipe when I finish my other projects. Going to use 5" pre-bent exhaust fittings.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Strokersace

Reaction score
I run one with a 5" exhaust. But I custom fabbed the 2 piece tail section to work with the tank.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Has anybody ran this fuel tank with 5" exhaust? From the research I have gathered, the tank hangs approximately 7" lower than factory. I am afraid this might have clearance issues with my 5" exhaust where it comes over the rear axle.

Just to get an idea

PA160082.jpg

PA160080.jpg

I run one with a 5" exhaust. But I custom fabbed the 2 piece tail section to work with the tank.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You have any pics of the tailpipe?

Billy T.
[email protected]

JH Auto Parts

Reaction score
I have diamond eye 5". It looks pretty close. I tried hanging the exhaust high/ closer to the bed, because I did not like the gap. I guess if I want to run the bigger tank, I might just have to run the tail pipe lower.

kmanxj

Reaction score
My tail pipe is pretty low but I didn't install it and the PO tightened everything up so tight it bent the pipes so they don't move much.

I really want to go to a 4" dual set up after paint next spring.

But both of my tanks are bad right now so going to this one big tank would be ideal

old man dave

Reaction score
Anybody run one with a diamond eye 5" or diamond eye dual 4"???

The dual 4" Diamond Eye pipes do not have enough clearance under the F26e tank because the duals run under the stock tank with 3-1/2" clearance and the F26e sticks down about 5-1/2" lower than the stock tank. Just ask how I know...:cursing:

kmanxj

Reaction score
The dual 4" Diamond Eye pipes do not have enough clearance under the F26e tank because the duals run under the stock tank with 3-1/2" clearance and the F26e sticks down about 5-1/2" lower than the stock tank. Just ask how I know...:cursing:

How do you know? I'm assuming you ditched the duals then?

I'm not sure if I want to go with this tank then, as I do very few long trips in my truck.

alwaysdiesel

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going this route also. I just bought a new front tank for $150, I think it's getting returned, haha. How are you guys mounting these tanks since the old straps won't fit?
I'm planning a cummins swap so I want to run a 1/2" sump to an Fass/Fuel lab straight into the P pump. It will be so much simpler than dual tanks and transfer tank unit. Any advice on fuel line? soft, braided, stainless?

m j

Reaction score
does anyone know the diameter of the sending unit?
I want to try and fab one from scratch but dont have a spare to measure

old man dave

Reaction score
How do you know? I'm assuming you ditched the duals then?

I'm not sure if I want to go with this tank then, as I do very few long trips in my truck.

I bought the tank, measured it and compared it to the stock unit and the F26e in my buddy's single exhaust truck. So, have a new F26e in the box that I'll give to one of my other buddys.

I kept the stock tank and duals for smoking out tailgators who have figured out most diesels have only a single exhaust. You should see the expression on their faces when they swerve left.:wtf::hammer:

Did I say I hate tailgators?

Strokin572

Reaction score
Been wanting to do e-fuel for awhile with a stock SD pump until I get bigger sticks and everything but for the future I'm going to have to get rid of a tank to run a bigger pump and don't want to mess with a transfer pump and everything between two tanks but I don't want to lose capacity and could actually add some going this route so I searched for the 38 gallon and found this http://www.1aauto.com/1987-89-ford-...Nmmd1V7dPKrDRyhL6avzTbPwhfxIHX8otMaAqha8P8HAQ says it's the F26E so if it doesn't include new straps how is everyone mounting theirs? I'm wanting to sump it like shown earlier in this thread too so basically I just use the float and extend it so I can still retain the factory fuel level gauge? Haven't ever messed with fuel tanks before other than fuel cells in dirt late models so this is all new to me.

old man dave

Reaction score
Been wanting to do e-fuel for awhile with a stock SD pump until I get bigger sticks and everything but for the future I'm going to have to get rid of a tank to run a bigger pump and don't want to mess with a transfer pump and everything between two tanks but I don't want to lose capacity and could actually add some going this route so I searched for the 38 gallon and found this http://www.1aauto.com/1987-89-ford-...Nmmd1V7dPKrDRyhL6avzTbPwhfxIHX8otMaAqha8P8HAQ says it's the F26E so if it doesn't include new straps how is everyone mounting theirs? I'm wanting to sump it like shown earlier in this thread too so basically I just use the float and extend it so I can still retain the factory fuel level gauge? Haven't ever messed with fuel tanks before other than fuel cells in dirt late models so this is all new to me.

The two I bought had longer fasteners and spacers for the skid plate that holds up the tank.

I bought one from rockauto.com and the other one from Amazon. They were both Spectra Premium F26Es.

The actual listing at rockauto was for a 1988 F-250 with 351.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
The tanks are made by Spectre Premium. Go on their site and see if they offer tank straps. The skid plate doubles as the tank straps.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Actually, it does not say its a Spectra Premium F26E tank, just that it replaces a Spectra. Got to watch the wording on these internet ads, just like buying sensors that say replaces Ford/Motorcraft.

I think the F26E designation is the Ford part number for the fuel tanks since several aftermarket tank suppliers use the same designators for the tanks. The F26E is sold be several different manufacturers according to RockAuto's listings.

The Spectra Premium F26E does come with a mounting kit although the listings do not say it comes with one. The kit was included with the two Spectra F26E tanks I bought.

Latest posts

Members online