Obs 38 gallon rear tank.

Krause

Reaction score
My fuel inlets are 3/8" ID feeding through the back of the heads with sweep bend fittings....And probably the same for StrokerAce.:hammer:

And pumps are rated in liters/gallons per hour, nowhere's close to 100 liters per minute. 26 gallons per minute would mean the pump empties out a tank in 44 seconds, ain't happening with any automotive based fuel pump unless you commute with a top fuel dragster (8000hp takes a lot of nitro at the rate of about 225 liters per minute or one gallon per second).

For reference, the stock pump is supposed to pump 19gph or 71 liters per hour.

Thats good info. But I have a suspicion electric pumps run a bit quicker than that, because I used my SD pump with the hose disconnected to drain most of the rear tank one time to remove it, and it was filling jerry cans pretty darn quick... thats 5/16th..

Here is a chart of what volume will move through a various hose size for various PSI, (for water). Diesel isnt the same viscosity but its close enough.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-discharge-hose-d_1524.html

5/8 at 60 psi is approx 14gpm. Not sure a 5/8's pump could keep up 60psi if the system was open on the other end (like in the event a hose got snagged off or something), but it would try... I over guessed a bit on my previous number, but 14 is a lot of fuel.

m j

Reaction score
Flow @ 65psi Fuel Pressure (25psi of Boost if Base is 40psi)

Green: Bosch 044: Highest Flow (430 lb/hr)
Yellow: Aeromotive 11142: Second Highest Flow (410 lb/hr)
Orange: Denso Supra Pump: Third Highest Flow (330 lb/hr)
Red: Walbro 255: Worst Flow (300 lb/hr)

Reaction score

Glad I have a walbro:lame:

old man dave

Reaction score
Thats good info. But I have a suspicion electric pumps run a bit quicker than that, because I used my SD pump with the hose disconnected to drain most of the rear tank one time to remove it, and it was filling jerry cans pretty darn quick... thats 5/16th.

Here is a chart of what volume will move through a various hose size for various PSI, (for water). Diesel isnt the same viscosity but its close enough.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-discharge-hose-d_1524.html

5/8 at 60 psi is approx 14gpm. Not sure a 5/8's pump could keep up 60psi if the system was open on the other end (like in the event a hose got snagged off or something), but it would try... I over guessed a bit on my previous number, but 14 is a lot of fuel.

The water flow charts assume a source that can supply water without dropping pressure or volume, like a big pressurized water tank. So the water flow results reflect pipe size changes only and pump efficiency is not involved.

Fuel pump efficiency drops off at higher pressures so fuel flow is not linear with pressure. Different pumps will pump different amounts of fuel at a given pressure and pipe size. You have to look at the flow/pressure charts for a given pump to determine which pump actually pumps the most and that they are testing using the same method. Some of the fuel pump flow charts are a little slippery, you have to read the fine print. Some pumps will have a good freeflow rate but at higher pressures, they fall on their butts.

For a fuel system, you have to check flow at the pressure you want, not freeflow volume.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score

On a carbed engine boost pressure would count, on an injected PSD, the only time when fuel sees anything influenced by boost is in the cylinder after the fuel pumping action of the injector. The fuel pump never has to pump directly against boost pressure, so in a PSD boost doesn't matter relative to fuel flow/pressure of a pump.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Well, I am going to start building my e-fuel system, I have a brand new 38 gal tank, I will put in a beans sump, which will go to a pre filter, then I will have two stock sd pumps, one will be back up/ add'l pressure, the other will be on all the time. ( the back up I will control from the cab). then to a post filter with regulated return. I haven't decided on line size but I don't plan on running larger than 250/200's so I'm not to worried about it. I will either delete the mid ship tank or set it up as a transfer flow back to the rear tank, haven't decided yet, but I am leaning toward a transfer flow system.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well, I am going to start building my e-fuel system, I have a brand new 38 gal tank, I will put in a beans sump, which will go to a pre filter, then I will have two stock sd pumps, one will be back up/ add'l pressure, the other will be on all the time. ( the back up I will control from the cab). then to a post filter with regulated return. I haven't decided on line size but I don't plan on running larger than 250/200's so I'm not to worried about it. I will either delete the mid ship tank or set it up as a transfer flow back to the rear tank, haven't decided yet, but I am leaning toward a transfer flow system.

Sounds good dennis! I recommend going with the bigest line you can that the beans sump will allow. That way when and if you need the second pump they wont starve each other out trying to pull from each other cuz the tank side line is to small... which with sd pumps isnt normally an issue cuz I believe both inlet and outlet are 5/16s. Also if you get the style of filter heads that have dual in and dual out ports they can both pull off their own port without needing a Y block..

The transfer flow midship tank, is that going to have it's own pump to transfer fuel to the rear?

live life full throttle

bluedge8

Reaction score
Sounds good dennis! I recommend going with the bigest line you can that the beans sump will allow. That way when and if you need the second pump they wont starve each other out trying to pull from each other cuz the tank side line is to small... which with sd pumps isnt normally an issue cuz I believe both inlet and outlet are 5/16s. Also if you get the style of filter heads that have dual in and dual out ports they can both pull off their own port without needing a Y block..

The transfer flow midship tank, is that going to have it's own pump to transfer fuel to the rear?

live life full throttle
Yes it will have it's own pump, probably the "backup" pump to start out then add a third pump eventually. I just cant bring myself to abandon 18 gallons that are already on board. :hammer: Plus, it is after all a cclb so I should still have room to do all of my efuel on the frame rail. I just ordered the beans sump, I have the 38 gallon tank here, I have a local junk yard with a couple of pumps that I hope will have the brackets, but either way I'll make something work. I just like the sound of 56 gal compared to 38 :D. This will allow me to return all fuel to the rear tank(from the engine), only have to sump one tank, abandon the, stock fuel selector, use the stock fuel pick up to send fuel from the front tank to the rear. The only thing I haven't looked into yet is the possibility of auto transfer front to rear without overfilling, for now it will be manual and only myself transferring fuel front tank to the back tank. What do you think?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes it will have it's own pump, probably the "backup" pump to start out then add a third pump eventually. I just cant bring myself to abandon 18 gallons that are already on board. :hammer: Plus, it is after all a cclb so I should still have room to do all of my efuel on the frame rail. I just ordered the beans sump, I have the 38 gallon tank here, I have a local junk yard with a couple of pumps that I hope will have the brackets, but either way I'll make something work. I just like the sound of 56 gal compared to 38 :D. This will allow me to return all fuel to the rear tank(from the engine), only have to sump one tank, abandon the, stock fuel selector, use the stock fuel pick up to send fuel from the front tank to the rear. The only thing I haven't looked into yet is the possibility of auto transfer front to rear without overfilling, for now it will be manual and only myself transferring fuel front tank to the back tank. What do you think?

More fuel is always better.. sounds good man!! What do you mean by an auto transfer front to back? On a pump or more of an equalizer between the two?

live life full throttle

bluedge8

Reaction score
More fuel is always better.. sounds good man!! What do you mean by an auto transfer front to back? On a pump or more of an equalizer between the two?

live life full throttle

having been in the electrical industry too long,,,,, I envision a high limit switch and a low limit switch in the rear tank, and a low limit switch in the front tank, so that, when the rear tank gets low, the front tank automatically refills it, until it hits the low limit on the front tank to keep the pump from burning out- and that is why I will do it manually for a while,,,, :doh:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
having been in the electrical industry too long,,,,, I envision a high limit switch and a low limit switch in the rear tank, and a low limit switch in the front tank, so that, when the rear tank gets low, the front tank automatically refills it, until it hits the low limit on the front tank to keep the pump from burning out- and that is why I will do it manually for a while,,,, :doh:

NICE!! patent that sh!t man!!!!!!!!!!!

live life full throttle

old man dave

Reaction score
Also can build a opamp comparator circuit to sense fuel gauge current, need two for high and low and relay to control transfer pump. Can be built using Radio Shack parts.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Also can build a opamp comparator circuit to sense fuel gauge current, need two for high and low and relay to control transfer pump. Can be built using Radio Shack parts.

Nice , I might need to look into that :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
That wild be the first time I've ever heard of an op-amp circuit discussed In here. I like it. I was gonna use them to make warning light on my gauges but got a smoking deal on isspros with them built in so I never did

old man dave

Reaction score
The hard part is setting up the reference resistor, just have to experiment with a potentiometer then install a fixed reristor. I've never built it for fuel level but did make one to check conductivity. It worked pretty well using the schematics out of the little experimenter books Radio Shack sells (or used to sell).

rusty1161

Reaction score
I just picked up a tank off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231020763763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and I could only open the box last nite, it was late when I got home, but its even coated or painted. I was impressed on first glance, I'll get it out and take some pics this weekend, but I think I got a hell of a deal, and got it in 2 days shipped fedex

Zilla,

Have you installed your yet? I bought one and I and gonna try and get around installing it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Rusty

zilla68

Reaction score
Zilla,

Have you installed your yet? I bought one and I and gonna try and get around installing it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Rusty

still in the box in the garage, let me know how it goes.
I am just finishing up my rsk, and was waiting to buy my e fuel set up from strictly before I installed the tank.

JH Auto Parts

Reaction score
Has anybody ran this fuel tank with 5" exhaust? From the research I have gathered, the tank hangs approximately 7" lower than factory. I am afraid this might have clearance issues with my 5" exhaust where it comes over the rear axle.