OBS Pros and Cons?

smokedout250

Reaction score
6500 thats cheap! we have ccsb with 240k that they want 11k for! shoot you want an sd your looking at 12k starting! i get a kick out of you guys looking for rusted out spots we have 70s farm trucks that stay outside year round no rust! oregon is nice to trucks but you have to pay for them! i have 215k on my obs had a chance to sell it for 8500 with a bad turbo... but i coulldnt handle switching to a 6.0 yet lol by far the best you could ever have imo.... but there is a greater aftermarket for the sd's they are a nice truck i just preffer the obs

superduty4x4

Reaction score
6500 thats cheap! we have ccsb with 240k that they want 11k for! shoot you want an sd your looking at 12k starting! i get a kick out of you guys looking for rusted out spots we have 70s farm trucks that stay outside year round no rust! oregon is nice to trucks but you have to pay for them! i have 215k on my obs had a chance to sell it for 8500 with a bad turbo... but i coulldnt handle switching to a 6.0 yet lol by far the best you could ever have imo.... but there is a greater aftermarket for the sd's they are a nice truck i just preffer the obs
The guys asking 11k for a truck with a quarter million miles on it are high.
My 96 F350 that I bought in April 2010 I paid $6200 for. 148k miles, bone stock, one owner truck. That was an insane price though, not many deals like that.
My 97 I bought in... March this year I think and paid $9500. 5 speed, 154k miles, stock except a down pipe and boost/pyro gauges. $9500 was a bit steep but there were 4 other guys right behind me cash in hand if I didn't put the benjamins down. Being a 97, 5 speed, with low miles and a clean body I could make the $ back if I ever wanted to sell it.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
The guys asking 11k for a truck with a quarter million miles on it are high.
My 96 F350 that I bought in April 2010 I paid $6200 for. 148k miles, bone stock, one owner truck. That was an insane price though, not many deals like that.
My 97 I bought in... March this year I think and paid $9500. 5 speed, 154k miles, stock except a down pipe and boost/pyro gauges. $9500 was a bit steep but there were 4 other guys right behind me cash in hand if I didn't put the benjamins down. Being a 97, 5 speed, with low miles and a clean body I could make the $ back if I ever wanted to sell it.

Sounds exacly like me. Bought my 97 in october of 09 for $9500. He originally wanted 13,600 for it but obvoiusly that wouldnt fly. 133k was on it. Bone stock except for good tint and brand new mud terrain 285's. I also probobly over paid a little. But hey its done now and I love my truck.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I paid 10k for mine with 169k on it but its an scsb which are rare around here yeah its was over priced but it had cab guard tool box nicer seats exhuast intake and guages and a luk clutche but he was spen askin 15k for it

chromehound

Reaction score
That's the bad thing about "is it worth it" threads. Just like smokedout250 area, in my area obs diesels are high priced - I paid $7000 for my ccsb but that's about normal since they range $6-8k for decent trucks and SD trucks tend to go for $10k+. Are they over priced? Sure but if you want one you gotta be ready to pay.

OP any chance you could get a good mechanic to look it over for you?

LawnRanger

Reaction score
All I can say is...... You can thank that dumb ass in the white house and his brilliant "Cash For Clunkers" for the high price of anything used. :biggun: :cursing:

Last edited:

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
All I can say is...... You can thank that dumb ass in the white house and his brilliant "Cash For Clunkers" for the high price of anything used. :biggun: :cursing:

True dat. I got a buddy here that said back when that was going on he seen at a dealership them "blowing up" an OBS 7.3...bout brought tears to me eyes. lol

superduty4x4

Reaction score
True dat. I got a buddy here that said back when that was going on he seen at a dealership them "blowing up" an OBS 7.3...bout brought tears to me eyes. lol
I saw a very nice CCSB 5 speed OBS at the junkyard during cash for clunkers. Straight as an arrow, not a ding or scratch in it. Kid working at the yard said he thought it had less than 200k miles when they nuked the drivetrain. I almost cried.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I saw a very nice CCSB 5 speed OBS at the junkyard during cash for clunkers. Straight as an arrow, not a ding or scratch in it. Kid working at the yard said he thought it had less than 200k miles when they nuked the drivetrain. I almost cried.

Yeah that was a pretty crappy deal

LawnRanger

Reaction score
Not that's been the only dumb ass thing he's done, but that alone is a good enough reason if I ever met him I'd strangle his dumb ass.