Oddest thing I've seen yet! Get a cup otf coffee, this will take a while!

loudmouth

Reaction score
Truck is an 03 International (Fed Ex truck). 345k Miles, valve covers had never been off til last fall. Injectors were exhibiting classic signs of failure, rough running, hard to start and so on. Truck ran fine, no check engine lights, just rough till warm.

Put in a set of used low mile injectors, (ad's ae) fixed all the rough running issues and truck ran great,,,,,,,, except (something always has to bite us in the butt doesn't it)

3 weeks ago, it got worse, CEL would illuminate as soon as the truck warmed up and not only did it idle like crap, it was completely GUTLESS. Oil had about 6k on it.

We've had it to the dealer, and two independent shops both with the factory International software. We've replaced, ICP, IPR, HPOP with no resolution.

We decided the last piece of the puzzle was the injectors so we sent them to Rosewood (lighting fast service great guy btw) He said they were in good shape and required very little work to bring them back into spec.

We put the injectors in today, changed the oil, fuel filter (looked like crap btw, finding a new fuel station Monday).

Truck ran awesome, just like the first time we did the injectors, and after about 30 minutes of driving, the dang CEL came back, rough idle, same code, cleared it with my small handheld tool, while driving and idle smoothed right out as soon as I hit the button!

To pre answer any questions, the cups looked great, All the injectors are seated and checked with an aluminum bar to make sure. Gaskets and harnesses are new from IH.

What am I missing here, I'm at my wit's end with this one. Problem came after first installation and got worse after a few months. Now the truck is back in service, but we still have a light once a day that goes away after one key cycle.

Any suggestions? Passes Buzz and Contribution tests with flying colors starts and runs great and sounds as smooth as any 7.3 I've ever heard.

Thanks in advance to all that take the time to read my rant and put in their thoughts!

Bill

loudmouth

Reaction score
Thought I had posted it sorry, It's po164 (mind you this is a med duty truck) with a fmi (failure mode identifier of 10. Which according to my Motor Manual is ICP Higher or Lower than expected

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Sounds like 2 problems. The ECU defaults and because its getting a bad signal. Check everything that doesn't seem important. Map line, IPR wires, anything the could throw a rouge code then fail when defaulted. Mine did this when the MAP boost reference line was leaking.

loudmouth

Reaction score
Map sensor is directly in the intake spider (think med duty). Just to add we have replaced the PCM also. Also put new pigtails on the icp and ipr

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Map sensor is directly in the intake spider (think med duty). Just to add we have replaced the PCM also. Also put new pigtails on the icp and ipr

Ah yes... 03. Now I see it.
ICP pigtail IPR pigtail.... ect. The principal is still a fault in a signal causing the cel and subsequently the problem.

ford_trck

Reaction score
Look at the pigtails and wires for the ICP. I had the same issues when I hooked up my ISSPRO HPOP gauges. The second I hooked them up I would get an ICP less or greater than expected or something like that. Light would only be on when I started the truck and then it would go off after a minute or so. Check the wires and make sure it is not getting grounded anywhere also.

loudmouth

Reaction score
ICP is new, chased the wires from sensor back to PCM everything checked put using the dvom

Viking

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense, I don't see a sensor that will act like this. Seems more like possible clogged ebp tube but now that I think about it it sounds electrical. Like possibly a harness is loose. Possible UVCH....

Latest posts

Members online