Oil Oil Oil

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i found an article a while back that said what was in revx from someone sending it in to blackstone i believe.... it came back with a chit ton of potassium and a little bit of the other stuff... schaeffers additive is full of molybdenum and some other stuff... moly sticks to metal.. potassium? i have no clue what that does.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
Rev X lasts for the current oil change interval then once you change it then it's gone. It doesn't treat the engine it just makes the oil mixture itself better. I know there is one treatment out there tht ppl swear by, can't remember the name but you put it in certain stages which coats the engine with a nice film.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Since I switched to valvoline blue synthetic a few years ago my 7.3 has been almost silent compared to the racket it made with the rotella. Love the stuff. You couldnt pay me to go back to rotella.

MossBack

Reaction score
My 97 loves high quality oil. I had a glow plug relay fail mid way through winter. And she started up and still does as I have been waiting to do relay and gp's here in the next week or so.

Delo 400 is good for less then 100 hours and shears below a 9 tbn and starts above 11 pretty much breaks down within 1000miles and the best ( snake oil) additives on the earth wont help any.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bean

Reaction score
The oil in this truck was standard 15/40 Rotella not the syn stuff.

Rev-x seems to work good in HEUI's but is completely different then Schaeffers additives.

Sorry about there not being individual gallons available on our site. Have to get that fixed.

stackedstroker

Reaction score
I just ordered 3 bottles of shaeffers oil treatment from yall, since i just bout 4 gallons of rotella. Maybe this will help my incosistant idle.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Hmm...

Never ran anything but Rotela 15-40... Never had any idle issues, but I never go over 3000 miles on an oil change. I also usually put Rev-X in the SD when I changed the oil.

Put Rotela syn 5-40 in my wifes 6.0, and that made a huge difference, in multiple aspects. It also has Rev-X, but I was on the road and had my wife add that so... I've yet to see the before/after effect.

Now... Thinking about it a little bit, I can hear a difference in both 7.3's at new oil, 1000 mile oil, 2000 mile oil, and right before I change it.

Guess maybe that says it all, and never tryin a different oil had me blind to the difference.

Bean

Reaction score
Stackedstroker, Get the engine nice and hot where it starts to idle worse then add the additive while its running and listen for the difference.

skew12

Reaction score
I have been swearing off Craptella for a VERY long time. Early on I recall it being one of the only syn oils you could use with atvs as they ran wet clutches. It was one of the only main stream (as oppose to atv specific) syn oils that did not have friction modifiers in it. You know the additive that are there to help prevent friction wear so it would not be an issue with the clutches and was cheap. What might be good for wet clutches and something a ATV owner might be all happy over its just the opposite for engines. Add in oil going thru our injectors and pumps all the more. It always seems to shear faster than most quality syn and dino oils in UAO testing when use is kept consistent.

One thing for sure with HPOP injectors your oil can have a direct effect on immediate engine performance unlike most other engine types. For those tuned into there engines and the way they run I am sure you know the sound and fell when you have extended a oil change interval too long. You can feel it not running right.

I use to be a UOA nut. I used and tested just about every possible oil the sun. Most all those lost on our last move grrrh!! Spent countless hours checking others doing VOA for before and afters etc.. Looking back I spent way to much $$ on it.

After all of that the oil I found to give the best performance and still have a decent price was Schaeffer. They are also the only oil company I spoke to that will actually list and tell you what base oils and additive packages they use. In other words you actually know what you are getting. I am one of those guys that has to have the best if its reasonably possible. I have slowly over the years switch most all my lubricants over to Schaeffers. Call up Mobile One, Valvoline, even Amsoil and ask them to tell you what or can they state if they use Group IVs and only that or if their "syn" oil has group III etc in their BASE oil blends or just anything at all about the base oils they use. Bet all you get is the "its secret squirrel only info" line along with the "we only use what gets the very best performance from extensive testing" line as well. LOL That's just the base oils forget even asking about the additive packages.

I have also found that adding the Moly EP is a great way to combat shearings if you run extended OCI (oil change intervals) for those running bypass setups. It looks like its also a good way to get Rotella to last for just a standard OCI LOL

I run 9000 but use to run 7000 with no issues but I prefer the full syn. 5w40 base oils as I use it year round and seem to get better throttle response with it.

BTW in Dino oils I found Mobil Delvac to be and test out very well also. That was a number of years ago but bet its still good as thats a flag ship for them with big diesels

I've got one batch of t6 already sitting in the garage. After that I'll give the 9000 a try. Thanks tarm!

Blowby

Reaction score
I've got one batch of t6 already sitting in the garage. After that I'll give the 9000 a try. Thanks tarm!
If you run dual HPOP's the 9000 will break down to a 30w or less in 1,500 miles. I noticed this with my first sample (BTS Dual HPOP's) with a 3,500 miles change. It was commented on the report "viscosity at 30w" so the next sample was at 1,500 miles with the same results back in 2006. They had no idea why.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My 97 loves high quality oil. I had a glow plug relay fail mid way through winter. And she started up and still does as I have been waiting to do relay and gp's here in the next week or so.

Delo 400 is good for less then 100 hours and shears below a 9 tbn and starts above 11 pretty much breaks down within 1000miles and the best ( snake oil) additives on the earth wont help any.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

any more info on the delo? cant seam to find any oil analysis on it.

WIESEL

Reaction score
If you run dual HPOP's the 9000 will break down to a 30w or less in 1,500 miles. I noticed this with my first sample (BTS Dual HPOP's) with a 3,500 miles change. It was commented on the report "viscosity at 30w" so the next sample was at 1,500 miles with the same results back in 2006. They had no idea why.

What oil do you run, recommend?

skew12

Reaction score

Well for right now, there's a stock hpop in it, but that's changin in a few months once I find a decent forged block. I'm not sure what hpop I'll get yet though. I planned on calling a few tuners and talking it over.

that oil breaking down doesn't sound good. But hell I don't know which way to go.

Blowby

Reaction score
What oil do you run, recommend?
Delo 400 breaking in.
Valvoline Syn after a few miles.
I am sending a sample in of Delo 400 today with 535 miles on it.

History of oil changes on this motor:
  • First change 189 mi. Total mileage on build 189 mi.
  • Second change 693 mi. Total mileage on build 882 mi.
  • Dyno'd @ Wildman Charity - Engle's on fuel​
  • Third change 274 mi. Total mileage on build 1,156 mi.
  • Forth change 998 mi. Total mileage on build 2,054 mi.
  • 1/4 11.68@117_ A/T Tires - Ennis, Fuel​
  • Fifth change 1,250 mi. Total mileage on build 3,304 mi.
  • Dyno'd @ II / Boost 105 psi​
  • Sixth change 535 mi. Total mileage on build 3,859 mi.

Since the boost was up on the Industrial Injection Dyno event I feel it might have pushed some fuel past the rings so the report will show this.
I'm back on Valvoline 5-40 Extreme since the motor is well on it's way to breaking in with dino oil.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Delo 400 breaking in.
Valvoline Syn after a few miles.
I am sending a sample in of Delo 400 today with 535 miles on it.

History of oil changes on this motor:
  • First change 189 mi. Total mileage on build 189 mi.
  • Second change 693 mi. Total mileage on build 882 mi.
  • Dyno'd @ Wildman Charity - Engle's on fuel​
  • Third change 274 mi. Total mileage on build 1,156 mi.
  • Forth change 998 mi. Total mileage on build 2,054 mi.
  • 1/4 11.68@117_ A/T Tires - Ennis, Fuel​
  • Fifth change 1,250 mi. Total mileage on build 3,304 mi.
  • Dyno'd @ II / Boost 105 psi​
  • Sixth change 535 mi. Total mileage on build 3,859 mi.

Since the boost was up on the Industrial Injection Dyno event I feel it might have pushed some fuel past the rings so the report will show this.
I'm back on Valvoline 5-40 Extreme since the motor is well on it's way to breaking in with dino oil.

Yeah, I'd call that breaking it in lol.
hell yeah:whs: good break in process.
i was always told that if a motor was going to have problems it would be as soon as its fired up after a rebuild.... rebuild, start, warm up, skinny to the floor, drive a hundred miles and change the oil. repeat but change oil at 500 miles the next time, repeat but change oil at 1500 miles, then on to normal oci.