oil pan leaking "seal"

99-Resurrection

Reaction score
Fresh engine build... Sealed the oil pan with Motorcraft grey gasket caulk... Cleaned Thoroughly several times, put the grey seal on thick, especially in rear ( problem area) we finally got engine back in started putting fluids in and its leaking oil from pan above starter.... So back out with the engine..... dropping pan for new seal... ? Is is there anyone that makes a GOOD gasket kit for oil pan... or is there a common gasket that works well rather than relying on grey goop? SORRY SO LONG. & THANK YOU

99-Resurrection

Reaction score
Yes its pan backside of block is dry and valley ...problem occurred as I was filling engine with oil for first time since build..... Mad diesel has a valid point... My dumb ass may have overdone it and caused myself a ton of 100 degree garage work

Stroked

Reaction score
the back of the block could potentially be clean if theres a leak up above, theres a passage that it travels through, so it wont be on the back of the block it will be in that passage. thats why all your leaks make the puddle in the driveway the same spot.

caladash

Reaction score
the back of the block could potentially be clean if theres a leak up above, theres a passage that it travels through, so it wont be on the back of the block it will be in that passage. thats why all your leaks make the puddle in the driveway the same spot.

True.....but, it's a fresh build. He was putting fluids in for the first time.

907DAVE

Reaction score
New or re-used oil pan?

With the effort it takes to remove a pan my guess is it got warped during removal, add that to the serious lack of bolts holding the pan on and you get a leak.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
New or re-used oil pan?

With the effort it takes to remove a pan my guess is it got warped during removal, add that to the serious lack of bolts holding the pan on and you get a leak.

I have saw this on someone else truck I finished for them. Right where they pryed the oil pan off they bent the flange and reinstalled the pan without noticing and had quite the leak.

My question is if it was leaking just by putting fluids in then would it really be leaking from the oil pan flange? Oil level doesn't get that high. I'm not 100% positive how the heads exactly drain into the block (if it justs runs down the inner wall of the block.) But it could be hitting an excess amount of sealant and collecting on a "shelf" perhaps and weeping out. :confused: I'm just throwing out ideas...

99-Resurrection

Reaction score
Brand new pan Everything other than Rods and crank are new parts including block n pan Lol..... Looks like pulling engine and starting over.... maybe my dumb ass will put fluids in before putting back in this time

ToMang07

Reaction score
Brand new pan Everything other than Rods and crank are new parts including block n pan Lol..... Looks like pulling engine and starting over.... maybe my dumb ass will put fluids in before putting back in this time

Might be worth investing in a fumoto valve, so you can drain it after the seal is tested. Keeps the engine lighter.

Latest posts

Members online