Oil temps

tbsimmons

Reaction score
OK vs TX
:popcorn:
Max I go is 70. 55 in CA but 65 feels right. I can imagine towing my trailer 85, hell I don't do that with just the truck.

Notneb

Reaction score
85mph on an OTR would be about 3-4mpgs... You have some stupid truckers in your neck of the woods if that's true.

79jasper

Reaction score
OK vs TX
:popcorn:
Max I go is 70. 55 in CA but 65 feels right. I can imagine towing my trailer 85, hell I don't do that with just the truck.
Currently in far West Texas.
What's funnier is they drive faster back home. Lol Down here I'm passing them all the time. Unless I'm kicking back doing 60 catching their draft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
LOL Any of you ever run across NM flat footing it on the speed limiter being run off the road by big trucks blowing by you like you're sitting still? Granted this was long before clatter fluid was $3, much less $4-$5.

That said, I have run with trucks in the 80-90 range in the not too distant past. Speeding meter agreed with the GPS...we weren't dilly dallying around.

Notneb

Reaction score
LOL Any of you ever run across NM flat footing it on the speed limiter being run off the road by big trucks blowing by you like you're sitting still? Granted this was long before clatter fluid was $3, much less $4-$5.

That said, I have run with trucks in the 80-90 range in the not too distant past. Speeding meter agreed with the GPS...we weren't dilly dallying around.

They must have been local boys, I'll tell you right now the LH boys will run 65 all day every day because MPG's is king in profits. When you're getting paid by the mile and you've got 3k per stretch, you're going to try and wring every .01mpg out of your rig as possible. I don't care what the price of diesel is, if I'm doing a long haul I'm doing 65. I have no reason to make a better time when it's already plotted out and team driven, I'll get there on schedule, no matter what comes up. Construction and high speed are LH OTR enemies, just due to the cost in fuel.

Just saying the amount of air you're pushing at 85 in a big rig is insanely hard on fuel, there's no damn reason to do it especially since 90% of the USA is limited for rigs anyways. I got a buddy who will only run 65 now due to a 10k ticket he got from DOT for doing 10 over.

The other difference people don't realize is CDL points are 2x what they are for POV license. That means any 10+ over MPH infraction and you're getting twice the penalty than you would with a regular license. To guys who's life depends on their CDL that's a huge thing. So the dipsh!ts you see roaring along at 75+mph won't be on the road long. They're called throw away drivers and the rest of us hate them, and I don't even LH that much. Still pisses me off to get blown off the road by some 3 week old driver running empty trying to get home to his meth head wife for a quickie.

JRLott

Reaction score
10k!!! Ho Li Phuck!!! :shocked: Did not know points were double on CDLs either. No wonder they don't haul a$$ like they used to. Most of this was long before all the pretty air control goodies on trucks now, and those I've run with more recently weren't running far.

Just got tickled at some of the comments about broken speeding meters and being incredulous about it even happening. Smart? No. Is it done? Occasionally, though not near like 15-25+ years ago.

79jasper

Reaction score

Only when they're going downhill.

JRLott

Reaction score
Only when they're going downhill.

So, you are suggesting that I40 between Albuquerque and Tucumcari is downhill both directions. Interesting, and unless it actually is downhill both directions, your assertion that this can only happen going downhill is false.

79jasper

Reaction score
So, you are suggesting that I40 between Albuquerque and Tucumcari is downhill both directions. Interesting, and unless it actually is downhill both directions, your assertion that this can only happen going downhill is false.
Didn't go that way.
Also don't see where I said it's downhill both ways? Must need my eyes checked then.

JRLott

Reaction score
Didn't go that way.
Also don't see where I said it's downhill both ways? Must need my eyes checked then.

You said only downhill. I've run both directions on I40 getting blown off the road by trucks running faster than my speed limiter would allow me to go. Ergo, must not be able accomplish this running downhill only. Tis all. Was just funnin' with ya a bit. Don't take the interwebz quite so seriously.

79jasper

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Hard to tell who's ribbin, and who's being cereal. Lol
Over here most stay under the speed limit. You'll see a few doing about 70 or so though. Just driving like idiots swerving in and out of traffic. I would venture a guess to say most are illegals.

JRLott

Reaction score
As I said in response to Neb, this was many moons ago and hasn't often occurred in recent history. Between double points, hellaciously high fines, and atrocious fuel economy, I understand why they don't haul a$$ any more.

Powerstroked6.7

Reaction score
Except the guy who said 220, factory radiator junk has the 195 thermosatat and that's where mine used to run now 10deg cooler

Notneb

Reaction score
As I said in response to Neb, this was many moons ago and hasn't often occurred in recent history. Between double points, hellaciously high fines, and atrocious fuel economy, I understand why they don't haul a$$ any more.

Yeah they've really started hammering truckers, as if their life isn't hard enough...

JRLott

Reaction score
No doubt. I knew fuel economy wasn't great, but had no idea about the other two. When clatter fluid started climbing to more than unleaded, and eventually super unleaded, is when I started noticing them slowing down. As I recall, that's also about the time all the aero kits started showing up. They were probably available before, but the cost of fuel didn't force the companies to figure out how to run the most efficiently, rather than how fast the delivery could be made.

Notneb

Reaction score
No doubt. I knew fuel economy wasn't great, but had no idea about the other two. When clatter fluid started climbing to more than unleaded, and eventually super unleaded, is when I started noticing them slowing down. As I recall, that's also about the time all the aero kits started showing up. They were probably available before, but the cost of fuel didn't force the companies to figure out how to run the most efficiently, rather than how fast the delivery could be made.

Yeah it's such a pain, it's 2.5 points for 5mph over now, and each state has different laws. I won't even drive through Cali just because of how much of a hassle it is. Add to that the price of fuel and faster speeds means more wear and tear on running gear/brakes, it's just not worth it to me. But local boys who drive for small time owners don't give a damn and run them like they're qualifying for a land speed record, and wonder why they get fired after a year. I've had one guy go through 2 clutches and a diff in 2 months because he drove/shifted like he was drag racing... Then had the nerve to complain to the owner over it... He already had the repair/replacement bills in front of him so it was a humorous conversation to say the least. I'm still trying to figure out how he took out one clutch vice TWO...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.