Overheating issue

Jomax

Reaction score
im on number 6 for an advance auto lifetimer... and it is dying now. im gonna find a large case e series alt or go with a large case 6blow alt and either mod the mount or make spacers for it to fit.

live life full throttle

Welcome to the club, we got jackets LOL.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
my truck has 365,000 miles. I have put over 170,000 of those on there. I have changed the water pump twice, once at 200,000 and once at 315,000, O'Reillys lifetime warranty rebuilt. Starter twice, about the same miles. O'Reilly's starter.
Alternator Same thing. I may be the rare one, but I have always had good luck with O'Reilly's remans.

Reaction score

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

blk99

Reaction score
So still getting hot?

Sent from my Nuclear iPhone
I havent had time to get the new fan clutch in yet but hopefully i do in the next couple days....
It did great this last trip but it was also evening and only 60 degrees or so outside....

CSIPSD

Reaction score
If you get a free replacement who cares? I'll go thru a hundred Napa's with a lifetime warranty before I will spend $300 for a DC...

Takes less then 10 minutes to change so who cares.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, the last one, driving down the road, volt gauge suddenly drops to 10 VDC. Look up the road, I see an O'Reilly's sign. Pull in, pop the hood, jerked the alternator off, got a replacement threw it on. It took him longer to look up the purchase on the computer than it did for me to change it.

Jomax

Reaction score
If you get a free replacement who cares? I'll go thru a hundred Napa's with a lifetime warranty before I will spend $300 for a DC...

Had it go out at 8 pm at the CA and AZ border. Running a scan gauge and saw the voltage drop.. only place open was an autozone. Had to buy their alternator... so I'm pretty much over 300 bucks lol

That was alt number 3. This one is now giving up in less than a year..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

yep, changed a few in the parking lot. told the guys to find me one and I would have it in there before they could find it. they laughed but I ended up waiting on them to get it off the shelf. ***in morons.. the only bad thing is this last time I took it in the little pip squeek behind the counter said that I cant get anymore cuz their computer say the limited lifetime only allows 1 exchange. I said bull fuggin ****. when I bought it I specifically asked if there was a limit and they told me nope and I can exchange it all I wanted. the only way to void the warranty is by selling the truck...

just so happens that my dually has been through 6, my 01 has had 2, my btothers 02 has 1 and I exchanged one for my cousins 7.3.... been at various different stores across the country so its not like tbey all have to know how many times or who's 7.3 they go on. lol
Yeah, the last one, driving down the road, volt gauge suddenly drops to 10 VDC. Look up the road, I see an O'Reilly's sign. Pull in, pop the hood, jerked the alternator off, got a replacement threw it on. It took him longer to look up the purchase on the computer than it did for me to change it.

live life full throttle

psduser1

Reaction score
I'm glad Napa is everywhere.....
When I get some free time I'm bringing a spare to a local guy for a custom alternator, as my current one is only showing 13.8v when hot. This one lasted a whole 7 months.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm glad Napa is everywhere.....
When I get some free time I'm bringing a spare to a local guy for a custom alternator, as my current one is only showing 13.8v when hot. This one lasted a whole 7 months.
yep. mine drops below 13.6 when I flip on my second walbro pump.

live life full throttle

psduser1

Reaction score
Guy in gr, just off of 131, says he can build me an alternator 170-190 amps for about two bills, does them for the plow guys.
We didn't go into much detail on the internals at the time, I wish had taken the time to get more details.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I picked up a core off one of my motors, so I exchanged that one, so now I always have a spare in the back of the truck... also a starter... and about everything else you can think of that might go out on the road...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
yep. mine drops below 13.6 when I flip on my second walbro pump.

live life full throttle

Isspro fuel pressure gauge + Isspro programmable trigger and you will not have to "flip" your second pump on, it will just come on when your fuel pressure drops below X amount.

Let me know if you have questions!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Isspro fuel pressure gauge + Isspro programmable trigger and you will not have to "flip" your second pump on, it will just come on when your fuel pressure drops below X amount.

Let me know if you have questions!
it doesnt drop. just reassurance.. I had a carter pump installed as a feed pump to the walbro but I thought that was part of my voltage drop cuz it made some funny noises so I just plumbed in a second walbro in its place.

live life full throttle

Last edited:
Reaction score

If you like putting junk alternators on your truck then go ahead. I have a Bennett auto Alternator on my truck that can't keep up when its hot... and its under a year old. I'm Just going to return it for a new one and keep it as a spare.

With all the electrical components on are tucks (PCM, IDM, Fuel Pump(s), Ect) I see no issue with spending a little extra coin for a quality alternator (hopefully) that will last several years with no voltage drop.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match. To each his own. :ford:

Jomax

Reaction score
I picked up a core off one of my motors, so I exchanged that one, so now I always have a spare in the back of the truck... also a starter... and about everything else you can think of that might go out on the road...

What spare parts do you keep on the truck?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Starter, alt, tensioner, belt, PS pump, fuel filters, fuel pump, hpop, hpo lines, oil filter, oil, coolant, injector o rings, oil cooler gaskets and o rings, several IPR's, ICP sensors, CPS sensors... Minor other things...

Latest posts

Members online