$partan Ngauge vs P!P v8!!!

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score

Notneb

Reaction score
Do you have any qualitative thoughts on drivability and shifting?

So far, the only real difference between the tunes is when the boost comes on. Shifting is pretty much spot on through all the levels so far, with the 600QR being my favorite. I found there to be only one area where I could make the truck shift HARD and that was when I was at WOT during the 2-3 shift and broke traction while the traction control was on. That's where I was ranting about the damn TC being on during the second part of the video.

One other thing, there was a slight "flare" when I put the truck in cruise around 45mph, the truck seemed to "hunt" between 5-6 for about 1 second. This happened on the 450, 500E and 550E. Haven't had it happen on the 600QR yet.

As far as power delivery, 450 was my favorite for around town cruising. By far the smoothest at the 20-45mph range. The 600QR always seemed to want to encourage bad habits... whereas the 450 just felt at home cruising.

As for the 500 and 550 i didn't really find a noticeable difference between these during normal driving, but when you're at WOT there's a huge difference up top. I found a 5psi *correct me if I'm wrong* difference between 2-3k rpm between the two. Just a real seat in the pants feel, don't quote me, my ass-ometer isn't calibrated.

Jomax

Reaction score

jwalk09

Reaction score
So what do you think about the traction control feature ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notneb

Reaction score
Thing was flying! Musta been pissed using the F-bomb so much. Lol

Lol, I was a little mad... And yeah I'd love to see what it'll do with traction bars and a boosted 4wd launch... It'll be fun to see what it puts down on the dyno this weekend!

Notneb

Reaction score
So what do you think about the traction control feature ??

Lol, I've had a bad history with TC... I put my ZL1 in the ditch because of that stupid invention wouldn't let me power out of some hellacious understeer... I honestly believe TC is worthless, and only exists for people who are alive only because natural selection doesn't exist...

O4ep3civ

Reaction score
I read through this whole thing. I've currently have sct with P!P's latest files. Ive been running them for the past couple months. I've been through almost all their updates. I have to say it has come a long way from the beginning. These last updates are insane. Night and day between the previous lvl4. I do have an injector rattle under a abrupt blip of the throttle or a quick downshift. (Waiting to hear back I just brought it to his attention tonight) so far the customer service was been spot on with P!P. I have ZERO complaints about his tuning. Just a couple little things that comes up, and he fixes it within a day. I don't have an experience with $partan so I can't comment on his tunes.

Notneb

Reaction score
I read through this whole thing. I've currently have sct with P!P's latest files. Ive been running them for the past couple months. I've been through almost all their updates. I have to say it has come a long way from the beginning. These last updates are insane. Night and day between the previous lvl4. I do have an injector rattle under a abrupt blip of the throttle or a quick downshift. (Waiting to hear back I just brought it to his attention tonight) so far the customer service was been spot on with P!P. I have ZERO complaints about his tuning. Just a couple little things that comes up, and he fixes it within a day. I don't have an experience with $partan so I can't comment on his tunes.

I'm comparing the new 8.04 P!P tunes starting tonight, which addressed the injector rattle that some like yourself, are experiencing. I will have a 0-60 time and initial impressions put up tonight.

Keep in mind I'm just now testing the P!P tunes for comparison, due to Mike *Owner of P!P* wanting the new versions to be compared, not the current v8 tunes.

Be patient, I should have the full comparison done by the end of next week!

Notneb

Reaction score
Ok so initial testing of lv4 v8.04 started tonight. Here's the 0-60 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAEe25iYkyo

So this tune is what I compare the 600QR against, so when I reference $partan or P!P for this, it's the 600QR vs P!P lv4 8.04.

First the shifting isn't as firm or quick as $partan. I received a 2-3 flare and multiple 5-6 flares. Now I only got the 2-3 flare after the 0-60 run, and then so far haven't been able to duplicate it.

As for the 5-6 flare, this happened same as the $partan tuning, when I was around 45-50mph with minimal throttle input or while engaging cruise control. So this may be just a symptom unique to my trans.

As for the shifting, it's just not as quick or firm, and that's just a fact. The upshifts are slower, yet smoother. I actually like the way P!P's new tunes shift, when I'm just running errands or cruising around town. They're much smoother when it comes to low throttle input. But when it comes to WOT and driving "spirited" the 600QR is just much much faster with upshifts.

Now the gripes I have, just 2, and they're very very minor.
1: P!P does not like to downshift when just coasting to a stop, seems more reluctant to select a lower gear until you really press past 1/3rd pedal travel. $partan has this nailed as coasting down from 40 to a stoplight, the truck shifts down accordingly. With the P!P, it's till in 5th at 30mph... feels like I'm in neutral with no engine braking...

2: P!P tuning likes to shift up in the middle of turns... I'm sorry but this may not be a big deal to most, but I was raised on manuals and shifting up in a turn is just... I know, I know, we're not on a race course, but this just annoys the hell out of me. Seems to happen around 20-30mph on the 2-3 shift.

Going to the dyno tomorrow, so I'll get some good seat time in on the way up and back *2 hour drive one way*, and hopefully some good vids!

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
Ok so initial testing of lv4 v8.04 started tonight. Here's the 0-60 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAEe25iYkyo

So this tune is what I compare the 600QR against, so when I reference $partan or P!P for this, it's the 600QR vs P!P lv4 8.04.

First the shifting isn't as firm or quick as $partan. I received a 2-3 flare and multiple 5-6 flares. Now I only got the 2-3 flare after the 0-60 run, and then so far haven't been able to duplicate it.

As for the 5-6 flare, this happened same as the $partan tuning, when I was around 45-50mph with minimal throttle input or while engaging cruise control. So this may be just a symptom unique to my trans.

As for the shifting, it's just not as quick or firm, and that's just a fact. The upshifts are slower, yet smoother. I actually like the way P!P's new tunes shift, when I'm just running errands or cruising around town. They're much smoother when it comes to low throttle input. But when it comes to WOT and driving "spirited" the 600QR is just much much faster with upshifts.

1: P!P does not like to downshift when just coasting to a stop, seems more reluctant to select a lower gear until you really press past 1/3rd pedal travel. $partan has this nailed as coasting down from 40 to a stoplight, the truck shifts down accordingly. With the P!P, it's till in 5th at 30mph... feels like I'm in neutral with no engine braking...

2: P!P tuning likes to shift up in the middle of turns... I'm sorry but this may not be a big deal to most, but I was raised on manuals and shifting up in a turn is just... I know, I know, we're not on a race course, but this just annoys the hell out of me. Seems to happen around 20-30mph on the 2-3 shift.

Going to the dyno tomorrow, so I'll get some good seat time in on the way up and back *2 hour drive one way*, and hopefully some good vids!

Seriously thank you for doing these comparisons

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

where you gonna dyno ?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i hate that dam coast shift that mine does.. especially when im about to apply the brakes and it lunges forward when you are slowing down... i always click the tow button. it holds gears and doesn't up shift like that at all.. plus the down shifts save on my brakes.. lol

with that said, i have the old sct sf3 tuner so i am sure there is no comparison to the new revisions on the sct that the op is using..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
Couldn't you just have them tune the transmission's downshift strategy to hold gear to help with deceleration? I mean I had it done with my last truck I can't believe that P!P couldn't do the same again

Notneb

Reaction score
Couldn't you just have them tune the transmission's downshift strategy to hold gear to help with deceleration? I mean I had it done with my last truck I can't believe that P!P couldn't do the same again

I'm talking with Mike at P!P about it, there's a nasty 5-6 flare we're trying to get rid of in the new "beta" lv4 tune.

Latest posts

Members online