pcm question

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
couldnt really find the answer i was looking for durning the search so this is why i posted. anyways as some might know we have been trying to determine why my brothers tranny has acted up since day one of the rebuild. as i havent gotten pressures yet (been busy) i wanted to try and eliminate the pcm and wiring harness just to be sure before we go spend more money on a new tranny. since the tcm is located in the pcm can we swap a pcm out of any 6.0 and put in it there just to see if it fixes it. let me say that he also has a 06 motor in this 04 truck with 06 wiring harness for the motor. making everything stock from both pcm's would it work?

his tranny acts up in stock mode as well which is why i want to swap the pcms just to be sure. this truck sat in a field for 3 years before we got to it and never touched the pcm or tranny wiring harness which is why i want to rule them out first since i have access to those parts without spending money. and tranny only acts up durning relearn process and then all shifts are weak after that which is another reason why i want to check those.

Final reason i want to check mainly the wiring harness is sometimes the TOW/HAUL will work going down the road. sometimes you have to stop, put it in park, hit the tow/haul, then go back to driving just for tow/haul which is really odd that it will do it sometimes and not others which makes me think its not in the tranny buy in the other 2. so with all that said will the truck run and operate with a pcm say out of an 05 that is completely stock or will we need a pcm for an 04 truck

RescueF250

Reaction score
Slap a gauge on in and see what kind of pressures your getting. As for the computer, instead of swapping why not just reflash it ?

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
i need to get a gauge on it just havent had time or if i do have time im so worn out i really dont want to do it lol. and if the tcm is messed up or only sending weak signals a reflash wont help anything. everytime we switch tunes it gets reflashed and it goes back to doing the same stuff so i dont think it would do anything

MorganY

Reaction score
Get a gauge on it before you do anything else. It sounds mechanical, I remember your other threads. Find out pressures first, I posted the proper pressures in your previous thread.

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
yea i still have them. just gotta find time to get to it. might get some time closer to christmas but this is something simple as well. even just for s*** and grins would it work to swap pcms? not just tranny related but say if you fried a pcm or something

CCRICE

Reaction score
I'd see if ford can reprogram it, my buddies truck had its tcm and PCM deleted by an edge attitude, wouldn't start. I pulled him over to ford with a tow strap and $90 and 30 mins later his truck ran good. After edge was pulled btw lol

That is if it's not mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
well prob mechanical for sure now. little bro called today and said it was popping in and outta gear and the torque converter kept locking and unlocking and would even try and lock just driving in a parking lot. think this thing is about gone. its been 3 weeks since he switched tunes and its already done its crap through the relearn and was fine and just started this stuff so i think its gone

Latest posts

Members online