PCS controller

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Tired of dealing with gremlins. I had an automatic swapped in and the 6 speed taken out. Since then I always had codes P0705 and P0720, range selector and OSS. I've since installed a brand new NADP race trans with all new sensors. I still have both codes and odd quirks (shifts into OD at 50mph and lugs, and randomly goes into neutral).

What I am wondering is will a PCS fix my issues ? And which one. I was looking on their site and they have more than one controller available. Obviously one does more. I would just like some general info and feedback from guys running them. And how hard is it to use/install/setup.

Thanks
Dan

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Yes. Pcm is for an 02 and bought the auto harness. I need to know if the pcs gets rid of the factory harness. Ie you could essentially run a manual trans pcm and it would work. I clearly have an issue because it throws codes and shifts funny with either swamps tunes or matts.

However one thing I noticed today when I switched chips. It says vdh2 on the pcm however I bought it of jody and he has it stickered dp80e vdh5. And I think my chips are vdh5. Could this cause an issue ?

I need to have this figure before I kill this trans. I don't wanna order a 900$ pcs if its not needed or won't fix it.

samoht517

Reaction score
You could run a manual pcm with a standalone PCS. All we use on the cummins swaps at the shop is PCS. They are pretty simple to set up and you can tune out each shift.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I have an auto pcm, I was just wondering if it was that much of a controller where it completly eliminates the factory PCM.

My problem is the range selector code. It basically doesnt know what gear it is in. I have no idea if the problem lies in the lever in cab or on the trans or is the communciation issue between the trans and pcm.

The guy that did the swap could have missed a simple connection, however he no longer works at PDR so I have no idea how to get ahold of him or the wiring diagrams he had

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Yes. Pcm is for an 02 and bought the auto harness. I need to know if the pcs gets rid of the factory harness. Ie you could essentially run a manual trans pcm and it would work. I clearly have an issue because it throws codes and shifts funny with either swamps tunes or matts.

However one thing I noticed today when I switched chips. It says vdh2 on the pcm however I bought it of jody and he has it stickered dp80e vdh5. And I think my chips are vdh5. Could this cause an issue ?

I need to have this figure before I kill this trans. I don't wanna order a 900$ pcs if its not needed or won't fix it.

Are you sure that the pcm you got from jody wasn't flashed with his 80E tune since it's tagged dp80E? I'm not 100% sure that it would matter though, I think if a chip is put on the pcm it would override that but it's something to check.

As far as I know the pcs eliminates the need for an auto pcm or shift strategies in your tuning. The pcs takes complete control over the tranny based on what you tell it to do. I know Charles, and UNCOOL both swapped from a zf6 to a 4r100 and they're running a pcs to control the trans.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I bought the pcm from jody and it came with a flashed 80e. The odd thing is that it says vdh2 on the ford sticker and vdh5 on the dp sticker.

How do you put tthe trans in gear ? Off your range selector ? Or does it bypass that with its own too ?

Last edited:

uncool

Reaction score
First of all, do you still have acces to the manual PCM and harness that came from your truck?

I did not remove any of that in my swap.

The gear selector can be anyway you choose it to be. If you have all ready swapped to the auto column, just leave it.

The PCS is ordered for your trans and you order the correct wiring harness.

The full PCS controller runs stand alone. To get the truck moving you only need to have three connections to PCS, TPS, RPM and power. You can get really fancy and use other inputs to taylor the shifting to more friendly driving.

More later.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I have what would be a stock 02 auto truck now. It just doesnt work like it should, the trans has no clue what gear its in or when to shift. My old trans I didnt care cause it was pretty much toast from the get go and almost tripleing the HP output didnt help. With the trans its different.
I think I will be ordering this to solve my issues as I am tired of dealing with the constant codes and ****ty shifting.

I do not want to use any part of the factory anything I will do it all through pcs. The factory PCM can suck my left nut for the problems I have had.

Uncool, where is the best place to order from that can help me with more insight and ensure I get EXACTLY what I need. And how fast can they get it to me. End of the week is a long wait at this time.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
Call wide open performance... they can answer everything for you...I do all the tuning for the race vehicles, and can help you out if needed...but yes complete standalone. And manual trans pcm...leave the factory shifter and their harness makes it almost plug and play.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Are you sure that the pcm you got from jody wasn't flashed with his 80E tune since it's tagged dp80E?

I don't think the PCM being flashed 80E will matter anymore than if it was stock, since the tuning also overrides the PCM for trans shifting. There is something else going on here. It may be the PCM itself is the problem. I would try swapping in another PCM of the same family.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Call wide open performance... they can answer everything for you...I do all the tuning for the race vehicles, and can help you out if needed...but yes complete standalone. And manual trans pcm...leave the factory shifter and their harness makes it almost plug and play.

You will be getting a call tomorrow.
Thank you.

I don't think the PCM being flashed 80E will matter anymore than if it was stock, since the tuning also overrides the PCM for trans shifting. There is something else going on here. It may be the PCM itself is the problem. I would try swapping in another PCM of the same family.

Its not the 80e, the problem is that tag that says 80e/vdh5 is visable without pulling the pcm, so thats what my chips are writtin for where after pulling the pcm its a vdh2. Im wondering if this could be some of the problem.

And I do agree with you. Im starting to wonder if its the PCM, it almost seems as if neither are communicating with each other. Unfortunately I dont have access to another PCM. And I look at it as what it could potentially cost compared to a stand alone system. I mean it could be something so simple, but knowing my luck and how my truck has a personal vendetta agaisnt me. A most likely no.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Its not the 80e, the problem is that tag that says 80e/vdh5 is visable without pulling the pcm, so thats what my chips are writtin for where after pulling the pcm its a vdh2. Im wondering if this could be some of the problem.

And I do agree with you. Im starting to wonder if its the PCM, it almost seems as if neither are communicating with each other. Unfortunately I dont have access to another PCM. And I look at it as what it could potentially cost compared to a stand alone system. I mean it could be something so simple, but knowing my luck and how my truck has a personal vendetta agaisnt me. A most likely no.

The VDH2 and 4 should be the same PCM family so that part shouldn't matter.

Deputydog

Reaction score
You sure you don't have your ISS and OSS connections reversed on the trans? My guess is that you do, they have the exact same connector and its easy to do if you aren't paying attention..

Blowby

Reaction score
You can flash the VDH2 to be a VDH5. It's labeled from DP for that reason I would guess.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
You can flash the VDH2 to be a VDH5. It's labeled from DP for that reason I would guess.

Fair enough

Ordered my PCS through WOP. Talked to Jacob, excellent service !

What happens to the PCM now that you neuter half of its job ?

Charles

Reaction score
Fair enough

Ordered my PCS through WOP. Talked to Jacob, excellent service !

What happens to the PCM now that you neuter half of its job ?

Exactly what it used to do when you had a ZF6. Not give two sh*ts about the trans...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.