Peixinho's 700hp streetable, towable, DD build thread

peixinho

Reaction score
So... i have done a bunch of builds on different trucks but have never really made a thread about it. I have so many questions and thoughts about which way to go I thought I should start a thread instead of making 30 different threads

My goal is to have a streetable, towable, daily driven, 700hp truck. This will be my daily driver and not a dyno/track/tow queen. Most of my builds so far have been all about getting the most bang for your buck. This build will still try to stay economical but more about finding a great combo to get the most out of the truck without buying stupid stuff that makes no difference and/or getting a 700hp truck that can't tow and cant be daily driven. I hope to have a good 500hp tow tune for light loads :rolleyes::rockon::eek: Part of this is to also find out what works and what doesn't. I plan on getting lots of dyno numbers along the way to show how much of a difference all these parts make. I also don't want to blow the truck up by running too much pulse width. I would like to have a conservative pulse width and still make good power. Hopefully that will keep cylinder pressures and temps down. I also don't want to rely on nitrous or water/meth to realize these goals.

My base truck is my daily driven work truck. 586hp 2004 ccsb lariat 4x4. 191,000 miles. It is nothing too pretty but it will do. Right now I am running a KC 68mm stage 3 turbo, 175/75 warren injectors, Custom Tunes, and 4" turbo back exhaust. A couple reliablity mods. Everything else is stock.

Here are my ideas so far:

Air mods:
Stock air filter unless I have to change it (my dyno results showed very little gains and i want the best filtration possible for where I live and how i drive)
Windrunner Performance Ported intake (ordered)
Intercooler (only if my stock one blows up)
Intercooler boots Rif Raff (ordered)
Rescue HD Y-Pipes (ordered)
TKO Ceramic Coated and Wrapped Up-pipes (ordered)
TKO Ceramic coated and wrapped exhaust manifolds (ordered)
Stock charge pipes

Turbo Options:
KC 68mm Stage 3 turbo (with .72ar cover) (built)
KC Stage 4 turbo (still under development)
Possibly Compounds or twins some day using vgt

Fuel/oil mods:
Regulated Return???
6.4 lift pump or 6.7 fuel pump???
Warren Dual HPOP or Super Secret Twin HPOP (only if using conventionals) ???
Warren 285/75 conventional Injectors???

Tuning:
IDP Ficm tuning (ordered)
I will try many different email tunes from Warren, TSD, IDP, and Gearhead
Dyno/live tune at TSD from Chris

Suspension Mods:
Andy Warren 700hp tranny (ordered)
Traction bars???
Rebuilt front end
Detroit locker??? or Better LSD???
Tires??? (stock right now is 285/75/16)

I will continue to update my first post as I get a better idea of the build and what I will be doing. Please feel free to throw out some ideas. I would love this to be a great educational build thread... so lets keep the crap to a minimal :thumbsup:

cmont58

Reaction score
Sounds like its gonna turn out great in the end. Will be interested in seeing what parts truly make a difference. Good luck

strokin6L

Reaction score
Charlie....I'd really like to see if the .72a/r makes a difference over the .58. Would you be dynoing the stage 3 with both covers to see if the .72 makes a noticable difference? Looking to have Adrian upgrade my stage 3 I wouldn't mind having him put a .72 on it if it'd be worth it.

Last edited:

peixinho

Reaction score
Charlie....I'd really like to see if the .72a/r makes a difference over the .58. Would you be dyno the stage 3 with both covers to see if the .72 makes a noticable difference.

I will... that is actually next on my list. My truck is down right now waiting for a Warren tranny. Andy said it should ship soon so maybe I can get it in early next week and go test it on the dyno.

I am going to do .72 vs .58 ar dynos and single vs dual plane dynos

strokin6L

Reaction score
Awesome man...keep me posted with the results. My MTW stage 3 has a dual plane wheel. Adrian said he wasn't happy with the results of the single plane wheel in the stage 3 and switched.

Mdub707

Reaction score
To have 700hp that is daily driven and still able to tow... I don't see this can be done without compounds.

For that power I would have always recommended a 225, but I think a 205 should suffice. I'd actually be pretty interested to see what a 190cc injector could do with full supporting mods including some custom FICM tuning to match the custom ECM tuning. With guys hitting 600+ on 175/75's, I'd think a 190/100 could come close with the perfect combination of parts....

You really need to talk to Eric about using the FICM tuning on a larger than stock nozzle. Most have noticed less power, more smoke and more heat running FICM tuning on anything but stock injectors. He can probably fix it between the FICM and ECM tuning, but he needs to know about it...

A fuel system obviously and a built trans would be necessary for this.

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
thats a lot of fuel. i would think 205-225 would get you to 700 no problem with correct charger set up.

peixinho

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback gusy... here are my thoughts on the injectors.

I have been working off this theory that we should just focus on picking our nozzle size and not worry so much about the injector body. Theoretically you should be able to get any injector to run pretty similar through tuning... for example... why choose between 175/30 or 190/30??? just get the 190/30 and turn down the fuel a little to run like 175/30. In fact why not just go with a 205/30... the you get the 205/30, 190/30, 175/30, and 155/30 all in one injector. You can just use tuning to adjust the amount of fuel dumped. Now there are limits. You cant turn down the pulse width too far... so if you stick on 190/150s then you cant get them to run like 155/30 because you are limited by the amount of fuel you can pull. So pick the most amount of fuel that a certain nozzle size can dump and then pull fuel as needed.

For this specific example I used a couple of calculation to determine my injector size. First off I am going off of an average of 3.33cc/hp formula. I have seen this is a very good reference for determining injector size (assuming you can use up all the fuel)

For example...
500/3.33 = 151... so I would recommend 155s
600/3.33 = 180... so 175s will do it with a ton of mods, 190s will do it with less
700/3.33 = 210... so 205s will do it with a ton of mods, 215s will do it with less

So with a basis of 215cc injectors I wanted to pick my nozzle size. I wanted the best atomization possible in hopes of being as efficient as possible. I also want to be able to pull enough fuel to be able to tow.

so 215cc-135cc = 80cc over stock

80cc/135cc = 61% bigger than stock... that leaves me with with 75% nozzles being able to dump all the fuel I need assuming max ICP and Pulse width

Now back to my theory of picking the injector body by the nozzle size and not your goal of cc's (that way I can utilize my injector size to the max).

135x75% (1.75)= 236cc of feul that 75% nozzles should dump. This correlate almost perfect with what Jesse Warren tested... he is running 350/75 and said it dumped about 240cc of fuel.

So ideally I would end up with a 240/75 for my needs... but I wanted to go just slightly larger in case I wanna swap out nozzles later to 100%. Also I like the idea of the injector never being able to max out so I jumped up to 280/75 even though I think it will only put out about 240cc of fuel.

So with one injector I should be able to adjust the pulse width to run like...
240/75
215/75
205/75
190/75
175/75
etc...

So if you can tow with a 175/75 then you should be able to tow with a 285/75

peixinho

Reaction score
To have 700hp that is daily driven and still able to tow... I don't see this can be done without compounds.

Well we will see. I am going to at least try with a good vgt turbo and jump to compounds if needed.

swinky

Reaction score
Flight fabs or OUO for traction bars.
Truetrac seems to be the the limited slip/locker of choice.

peixinho

Reaction score
Flight fabs or OUO for traction bars.
Truetrac seems to be the the limited slip/locker of choice.

I am waiting for a buddy to install his detroit locker so I can go for a ride and feel the driveability. I don't want to have issues with a locker in a DD... everyone says it will be fine but I know with my little jeeps short wheel base and being so lite

I will look into those traction bars. Thanks :thumbsup:

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Another vote for true track. I am making my own traction bars. Way cheaper than flight or any of the others. Will have a little under 375 into them. I like the injector theory though.

Triumph1188

Reaction score
I read on here that Jess Warren flow benched 350/75s and they flowed 240cc of fuel. So a 285/75 wouldn't be able to empty the barrel. Better atomization from a smaller nozzle seems to make a big difference though.

peixinho

Reaction score
I read on here that Jess Warren flow benched 350/75s and they flowed 240cc of fuel. So a 285/75 wouldn't be able to empty the barrel. Better atomization from a smaller nozzle seems to make a big difference though.

Exactly!!! I am only looking for around 700hp so I should only need around 205-225cc of fuel... I should be able to run 285/75 with a conservative pulse width and get 225cc of fuel... then if I decide I can throw on larger nozzles and get the 285cc of fuel without having to get my injectors redone again.

I am looking for the best atomization possible to make the power. I know I could make the power with 350/150s but it would be less efficient, smoky, and probably impossible to tow heavy with.

peixinho

Reaction score
get better charge pipes. :)

care to share a little bit of your knowledge? I have heard great things about people liking there no limit charge pipes... but most don't give exact details why.

Better Spool up?
More air flow?
Etc?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.