plugged spill ports

2wd-fire

Reaction score
does any one have a video of a truck idleing with spill ports pluged? just curious how choppy it is

TooMuch03

Reaction score
With the spill port open stroke is limited by the distance from the bottom of the spill port to the bottom of the barrel. The stock injector does not use this full stroke. You machine them to get full use out of this stroke. There are two ways to increase stroke past this point, one is to plug the spill port. The other is to machine a spacer the will fit on the bottom of the barrel to allow more stroke to the bottom. This will leave your spill ports open and increase stroke. With spill ports open and no shims, the injector limit is basically 190cc. It is math, area of a cylinder. I can get you the dimensions if you want.

Look guys! Real Information!!!

Next question, for anyone really. Of the two methods, shimming vs. plugging spill ports, will there be performance differences, other than at idle. Like will one empty or refill faster or require more HPOP flow, etc.? For identically sized injector obviously.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea that's true. I'm sure really the only way to plug em is either welding them shut or pressing something in. Not really any other way to stop up a hole.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Mine have always idle just like stock with plugged ports. Just lopped when you start it and after you let off the throttle. But if you put to much shimin it will run worse than with plugged ports. Or at least that is my experiance.

lubeowner

Reaction score
The distance from the bottom of the spill port to the bottom of the body is 5.65mm. The diameter of the plunger is 6.34mm. That makes the maximum volume 178.368.

golfer

Reaction score
The distance from the bottom of the spill port to the bottom of the body is 5.65mm. The diameter of the plunger is 6.34mm. That makes the maximum volume 178.368.

absolutely correct...

but you can get MUCH more volume than that WITHOUT plugging the spill port...or changing plunger diameter

lubeowner

Reaction score
absolutely correct...

but you can get MUCH more volume than that WITHOUT plugging the spill port...or changing plunger diameter

Yes, Yes you can.

You could easily add a 2mm spacer and get the injector up to 241.507 very easily. I would think that you may even be able to get close to a 3mm spacer and get the injector up to 273.077

Jwarren

Reaction score
Yes, Yes you can.

You could easily add a 2mm spacer and get the injector up to 241.507 very easily. I would think that you may even be able to get close to a 3mm spacer and get the injector up to 273.077

2mm oring is about max or top oring wont seal.

From our measurements all I could come up with was 5.5MM from spill port to bottom of barrel. And that is maximum stroke slamming the bottom DANGER ZONE!

6.3mm plunger 6.3/2=3.15 3.15 x 3.15= 9.922 x 3.14= 31.15 cc per mm of stroke.

31.15 x5.5= 171.36 cc of fuel max with spill port open.

Edit!! I should have used the full 6.34mm

Last edited:

lubeowner

Reaction score
Jess, not putting the spacer under the spool valve. Putting it between the bottom of the barrel and on top of the fuel plates. This will allow more downward travel. Issue is you have to deal with is bottoming out the return spring with the added downward stroke.

Edit: forgot about the body o-ring to nozzle nut, my bad.

Last edited:

Jwarren

Reaction score
Jess, not putting the spacer under the spool valve. Putting it between the bottom of the barrel and on top of the fuel plates. This will allow more downward travel. Issue is you have to deal with is bottoming out the return spring with the added downward stroke.

Edit: forgot about the body o-ring to nozzle nut, my bad.

Cool

Yes we use these to go larger than 430's on hybrids. We use a 70psi spring custom fitted to handle the added stroke.

From my smart car.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
There's a writeup in the new issue of diesel power mag that shows how to turn a stock injector into a 155/40 with Elite's DIY injector upgrade. It shows you how to take the injector apart and what needs to be done on making it a 155cc injector. The spill ports get plugged with some sort of plug that needs to get pressed into the body(spill port) until flush, then carefully hit the rough outer edge of the plug with a dye grinder to smooth it out. So plugging the spill port will turn a stock injector into a 155. Just thought i'd through this out there if guys wanted to check it out.

CCRICE

Reaction score
There's a writeup in the new issue of diesel power mag that shows how to turn a stock injector into a 155/40 with Elite's DIY injector upgrade. It shows you how to take the injector apart and what needs to be done on making it a 155cc injector. The spill ports get plugged with some sort of plug that needs to get pressed into the body(spill port) until flush, then carefully hit the rough outer edge of the plug with a dye grinder to smooth it out. So plugging the spill port will turn a stock injector into a 155. Just thought i'd through this out there if guys wanted to check it out.

Just read that issue tonight, gives some decent insight as to what the internals of these injectors look like. I'm site it's harder than it looks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the chad

Reaction score
my warrens do the same thing once up to operating temp, as soon as it goes in park it gets all choppy, idle fine and run fine, other than that. Erics tuning. Im assuming this is somewhat normal? it also seems to vary slightly with different tuning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.