pmr's make a mess

Big Bore

Reaction score
If you want to call 3-4 year old outdated information valuable than go ahead. The problem is it carries no value when evolution has occurred.

Some things have not evolved.

And since when does the brand of tires have anything to do with getting a flat? LOL.
Haven't owned many sets of tires have you? There is a brand of tire I refuse to buy because a low mile AT blew out on my wife in our 4runner. The ONLY blowout we've ever had and we put 30-40K a year on our vehicles, and buy a new vehicle at least every couple years. I buy at least three sets of tires a year between regular and snow tires for the 4 vehicles we have on the road at any given time.

I don't think you read all of what I wrote. Go back as look at the last part.

I did read it all, however your caveat didn't excuse the intent of your original commentary, which was, to criticize asking a valid question.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I didn't have timing pulled for the PMR's either. The timing was left where it made the most power, which was only a degree or two over stock anyway.

Sounds like good tuning. What HP was that PMR motor making?

Timing, there's so many facets to that one word when it comes to tuning. Particularly since it can arbitrarily change radically based on PCM sensor readings if certain tables are used.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I completely agree with this, all the rebuilt engines I've had experience with have had issues that are very rare in factory engines

That is something I've been very interested in lately. One of the things I'm doing is using all new bolts and all the rotating assembly will be balanced and blueprinted. I'm very interested in what possible causes of the rebuild issues are, and what preventative measures can be taken.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I'm just going to back out of this thread. I'm not in the mood for a tuner argument and I don't want to derail from the OP's reasoning for this thread.

Most people who are around these forums see the same 3 or 4 guys always bashing on the tuner in question and invalidate their posts anyway.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I'm just going to back out of this thread. I'm not in the mood for a tuner argument and I don't want to derail from the OP's reasoning for this thread.

Most people who are around these forums see the same 3 or 4 guys always bashing on the tuner in question and invalidate their posts anyway.

The only reason I know who the tuner was is you, BTW. If you hadn't posted I still wouldn't know.

And there's not a single bashing post in this thread.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Sounds like good tuning. What HP was that PMR motor making?

Timing, there's so many facets to that one word when it comes to tuning. Particularly since it can arbitrarily change radically based on PCM sensor readings if certain tables are used.

The dyno and trap didn't line up, but the truck trapped 93 at 8000#, crewcab.

And I agree, how timing is commanded seems to make the difference.

That is something I've been very interested in lately. One of the things I'm doing is using all new bolts and all the rotating assembly will be balanced and blueprinted. I'm very interested in what possible causes of the rebuild issues are, and what preventative measures can be taken.

I'd say that being on the small side of every tolerance is gonna be key to keeping things swinging around where they're supposed to be. Those tolerances all being approx the same value probably makes a big difference too. Keeping the loads and stresses even on each cap, rod, etc.

Seems like every autopsy of a blown rebuild finds the fault with sloppy tolerances, or something that didn't get or hold torque like what surrounded it.

Last edited:

Layson

Reaction score
Remember kainers!!! He tried to blow up his pmr motor. Had b-codes, termies, and a few other things. 490 on the dyno running tunes for his hybrids... Lol. His truck was 400 plus for most of its life.... Lol.

imelmo

Reaction score
Remember kainers!!! He tried to blow up his pmr motor. Had b-codes, termies, and a few other things. 490 on the dyno running tunes for his hybrids... Lol. His truck was 400 plus for most of its life.... Lol.

Yeah, I forgot about that. LOL

TrailerHauler

Reaction score

LOL I remember that, and then it finally let go. That was impressive!

dietoremain

Reaction score
LOL I remember that, and then it finally let go. That was impressive!

I wish I had seen it.. Gotta be videos somewhere of it runnin right?

And oh theres some old man that hauls RV's and racked up over a million miles last I heard and still goin on an 02 pmr motor.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
So...guess maybe this is one more nail in the myth of safe tunes, PMR's and big inj's being safe.
Nothing's safe...no one knows when a PMR motor will let go once you cross 400HP+-
As long as you accept the risk go for it..

Last edited:

juniort444e

Reaction score
Obswiz, i dont think it so much the injectors that is the problem, unless your talking about 400% nozzles. My problem from what i was told from tuners and eventually found out was the turbo, and possibly the turbo injector combo. If i was running a 38r or even a gt40 series, my motor probably would have lived longer.

For what it's worth, pmr's are sketchy to say the least. One lives forever with big injectors the next blows up with stock everything. I took care of my truck, but ran it very hard. I put 3 sled pulls on it, and roughly 5 to 10 thousand miles, mostly highway. I would say half of those miles i was fooling around and the other half was cruising at speed limit. Mine gave out going 35 downhill.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Leaving lousy bad tuning out which I doubt is any concern today its HP-Tq thats the issue...PMR's will blow somewhere over 400HP, where no one can say just as know one can say how long it will last over 400HP.

Problem I have is all the talk about making more HP with PMR using larger than stage 1's and never telling guys that are asking the questions what the real risk is or just flat making any talk of risk a non issue as "tunes" make it safe..This does a disservice to the people asking for help.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I hate getting into tuner wars, but i didnt like my tuning one bit. Im not a tuning guru either, but my truck hit 1800+ degrees on a 20 to 30 second wide open run. And smoked none stop pretty much. I dont want to say definitively that my tuning was junk, but everyone can conclude that anyway. But you are right, tuning is a big issue with keeping pmr's happy.

Latest posts

Members online