Popping out the intake

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Had a truck brought to me that was popping out of the intake while running. Pulled the valve covers and a couple sets of rockers to inspect them and they were worn pretty well, so I replaced the rocker sets on both sides with new. Fired it up and ran fine for 10-12 miles then it developed a squeak that turned back into the original popping; possibly worse now. I'm thinking a bad lifter, I had read about rocker problems but I'm not sure about lifters? is that common on these trucks? Any other insight. The truck is tuned and deleted, has 167k miles on it.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Originally got a Contribution/Balance fault for #2 cylinder, after the rocker replacement and started popping again it's saying #8 cylinder. So that has me scratching my head now, but I compression tested the driver's side and all have compression, so i know it isn't a valve stuck open. Guess the head needs to come off now to check the lifters, is pulling the engine with the cab on doable? That is how I do 6.0's, Or will I have to find a way to pull the cab and just leave the engine in the chassis like everyone does

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
If you pull the cab you have to drop the transmission as well.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Just to replace the cam if it's wiped, right? After thinking about it I doubt that's the case because it ran fine again for a while then messed up again. Or is it common for these cams wipe out a lobe?

webb06

Reaction score
I should have clarified, I ment to inspect the lifters.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Not on a 6.4 bro. Pull the cab or to get it out without having the cab off you'll need to pull the turbos and oil pan.

On edit: to pull the cam (if needed) trans will need to come out

2wd-fire

Reaction score
Just to replace the cam if it's wiped, right? After thinking about it I doubt that's the case because it ran fine again for a while then messed up again. Or is it common for these cams wipe out a lobe?

Depends how long it was driven but I would bet you need a cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RescueF250

Reaction score
Same issue I have with a truck. Lifter is actually mushroomed couldnt pull it out. He ended up wanting a short block.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Not on a 6.4 bro. Pull the cab or to get it out without having the cab off you'll need to pull the turbos and oil pan.

On edit: to pull the cam (if needed) trans will need to come out

You don't need to remove the pan. Just the turbos and uppipes. It's very doable to pull them without pulling the cab.

-4198-48A4-B911-1D8FC549591B-6836-000004C66C527291.jpg

Latest posts

Members online