Ported Heads

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Ported heads are pretty rare on 7.3s.

The only shop I know that does it is swamps. They are expensive and there isn't a huge hp gain for the price. Iirc $3500 was the price tag for a pnp, valve job and oversized valves.

My opinion is we don't have the camshaft profiles available to take advantage of higher cfm. We also don't have the rpm to reach and utilize high lift cams.

If someone started producing blank cams then maybe we could start finding power but regrinds IMO are not the best way to go.

Hopefully someone with some deep port work can help.

I do know of a few guys that cleaned up the ports by smoothing. Not reshaping and they saw better streetability and slightly lower boost numbers (less restriction)

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Im going to do a few in awhile. The cam info is correct in as much as the most are running stock cams. That however has little to do with why and how I will be porting.

patrickke

Reaction score
Colt has a cam for the 7.3 and Geoff has told me he has never had an issue on regrinds... He makes sure not to go into the hardness

Gearhead

Reaction score
Ported heads are pretty rare on 7.3s.

The only shop I know that does it is swamps. They are expensive and there isn't a huge hp gain for the price. Iirc $3500 was the price tag for a pnp, valve job and oversized valves.

My opinion is we don't have the camshaft profiles available to take advantage of higher cfm. We also don't have the rpm to reach and utilize high lift cams.

If someone started producing blank cams then maybe we could start finding power but regrinds IMO are not the best way to go.

Hopefully someone with some deep port work can help.

I do know of a few guys that cleaned up the ports by smoothing. Not reshaping and they saw better streetability and slightly lower boost numbers (less restriction)

Reground cams are not an issue since 1 the base circle receives most of the grinding and 2 the surface hardness runs pretty deep and 3 these are roller cams that don't have the same issues as the flat lifters like the dodges.

Ported heads help fatten the powerband under the curve and can usually get another 10 percent power with the same turbo especially when paired with a cam to take advantage of the higher flow that comes at the higher lifts. Since you can move more air without being in boost, it will actually spool the charger faster as well.

My stage 1 cam is a great stock replacement and gives more area under the curve without sacrificing anything and really shines with ported heads. My stage 2 has shown powerband increases fuel only. Blowby was one of the first stage 2 cam testers and showed the increased RPM capability that it afforded. Shops that previously were anti-cam have purchased my cams for thier builds as well as direct sales to their customers.

Last edited:

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Shops that previously were anti-cam have purchased my cams for thier builds as well as direct sales to their customers.

And for this I thank you. I was looking at doing a pnp on my 7.3 a year before your cams hit market and asked on Psn about cams. I was told by everyone that a cam will never work.

Thanks for pushing the 7.3 market further.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Empire Diesel does 3 levels

Street for 1000$

Competition for 2000$

And full out Race for 4000$

Does this include a valve job?

Just as a comparison. I am getting a full head job by Joker Fab on a CR cummins head.
Costs are as follows:
Port and polish $600
Intake Manifold $800
Fire Rings $400
5 angle valve job $200

I've found most shops are charging $1200-1500 just for port work.

It will obviously be more for a 7.3 since there are fewer guys porting and more area to port..

I have not heard of anyone getting porting for less than $3k on a 7.3.

I kno empire does good work.. might be a good place for the OP to start

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
There are quite a few places and people that have ported heads on 7.3s - as well as camshafts to match - Depending on the level of work done it is pretty easy to get several thousand dollars wrapped up into a set of heads. I reccommend talking to MANY shops about their port work and head flows - but before you do I also recommend you take a look around the net and read up on some of the ideas and thoughts behind that port work. Personally I don't look for the heads with the most flow - I look for the head with the most consistent port velocity and smoothest flow transitions through the entire runner - this can only be done so many ways - either on a wet flow bench - or the DIY "flying string" method. Basically you go in and remove and ADD material where needed to smooth out the flow and to remove all the little spots that might get little flow eddys in the runner - that to me is more important.

spongebob915

Reaction score
My heads are @ CARSON'S being ported polished and a valve job. I have Matt's stage one cam.
If I ever receive all my parts which has taken way to long I'll let you know how it runs.

Bartlett99

Reaction score
Reground cams are not an issue since 1 the base circle receives most of the grinding and 2 the surface hardness runs pretty deep and 3 these are roller cams that don't have the same issues as the flat lifters like the dodges.

Ported heads help fatten the powerband under the curve and can usually get another 10 percent power with the same turbo especially when paired with a cam to take advantage of the higher flow that comes at the higher lifts. Since you can move more air without being in boost, it will actually spool the charger faster as well.

My stage 1 cam is a great stock replacement and gives more area under the curve without sacrificing anything and really shines with ported heads. My stage 2 has shown powerband increases fuel only. Blowby was one of the first stage 2 cam testers and showed the increased RPM capability that it afforded. Shops that previously were anti-cam have purchased my cams for thier builds as well as direct sales to their customers.

How many RPM's are gained with a good port job and the stage 2 ?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Im no professional but i have a basic understanding of what needs to be done, a large air compressor and a die grinder with assorted bits. While i mainly just cleaned up factory casting flaws/offset valve seat ridges, i spent days porting on my heads and in combination with the stage one Gearhead cam, it really shows when towing. My EGT's stick like a rock at 1000 even with my badass water system turned off, i can tow very very well at 20,000+lbs behind me and be between 800 and 1000* most of the time in a ~400hp tow tune. I make high 30's peak boost keeps my 66 right in the efficiency range too

jkidd_39

Reaction score
There are quite a few places and people that have ported heads on 7.3s - as well as camshafts to match - Depending on the level of work done it is pretty easy to get several thousand dollars wrapped up into a set of heads. I reccommend talking to MANY shops about their port work and head flows - but before you do I also recommend you take a look around the net and read up on some of the ideas and thoughts behind that port work. Personally I don't look for the heads with the most flow - I look for the head with the most consistent port velocity and smoothest flow transitions through the entire runner - this can only be done so many ways - either on a wet flow bench - or the DIY "flying string" method. Basically you go in and remove and ADD material where needed to smooth out the flow and to remove all the little spots that might get little flow eddys in the runner - that to me is more important.

Port velocity is just as important as CFM. I agree with you totally. Finding the fine line between how much air and how fast you can move it is the secret to a good port job.

I hope any person doing port work and standing behind it is using a reputable flow bench and provide a sheet and sit down with the customer and explain what they did and why.

Im no professional but i have a basic understanding of what needs to be done, a large air compressor and a die grinder with assorted bits. While i mainly just cleaned up factory casting flaws/offset valve seat ridges, i spent days porting on my heads and in combination with the stage one Gearhead cam, it really shows when towing. My EGT's stick like a rock at 1000 even with my badass water system turned off, i can tow very very well at 20,000+lbs behind me and be between 800 and 1000* most of the time in a ~400hp tow tune. I make high 30's peak boost keeps my 66 right in the efficiency range too

When I pull my 7.3 I plan on doing the same thing. How many hours did you pour into the heads? More than you care to remember haha

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I'm trying to smooth out my exhaust runners. I'm trying to make them as smooth as possible. Don't think I can do much with the intakes.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Yes, more than i care to remember. When the compressor motor started to stink up the shop i would stop and pick it up a few days later LOL

Latest posts

Members online