Possible cracked block?

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
The main thing that sucks is I dont have a cherry picker, I had to bribe a friend to bring over his Dodge utility truck with a crane on it so I could pull/reinstall the motor. Made life a little easier, but I hate to bother people like that.

I also installed the motor with the entire exhaust/turbo on it. Rather than trying to install the turbo after. This way i was able to ensure the uppipes, collector, and turbo were all bolted down properly and got a good seal. Im even able to build 34psi of boost! But in order for me to do all that, i had to pull the entire front end off the truck, core support and all.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Those engine lifts are super cheap at harbor freight and they work just fine for the price. Flip it on craigslist when you're done for $25 off purchase price.

And you have to take the entire front end off of these trucks to pull it without lifting the cab. It's just the way it is. Especially wanting to do it turbo on.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Makes me think about if i'm pulling it to do some more work, i might as well pull cab off and detail/paint or powdercoat everything while i can.

Hmmm. i wonder how hard it would be to make a removable engine cross member so the pan could be dropped while still in the truck...

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Lol you're over thinking it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

For a job that takes 2-2:30 hours its not worth it.

Lol, over thinking it is my job! haha.

And i dont wanna jinx this, but today I pulled it into the shop to reinstall the front bumper. Once i finished and pulled the truck out, there was no coolant spots on the ground. Not one drop. Maybe that sealant is finally starting to work? My fingers are crossed!

Constructionworker

Reaction score
I've been following this from day one and know you're definitely mechanically inclined and probably thripple checked everything but I just had a situation where a hose was spraying slightly and intermittently making the source hard to immediately identify. Just going back to the simple stuff like hoses and clamps.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I've been following this from day one and know you're definitely mechanically inclined and probably thripple checked everything but I just had a situation where a hose was spraying slightly and intermittently making the source hard to immediately identify. Just going back to the simple stuff like hoses and clamps.

Thanks bud, I definitely will, Saturday i'm going to pull the radiator so i can get my head into the front end and triple check that its not the front cover, if its not, then I'll start to work my way backwards from there, checking hoses/clamps, and even the radiator, for all i know its got a small pin hole in the radiator, and the fan is spraying it back on the block.

Thanks again.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Have you gotten the engine up to operating temp and then pressure tested the coolant system?

Actually i havent done that, I think i only pressure tested it when cold. Or atleast after its been sitting for 45 mins.

That would make sense, if the leak was after the thermostat, then i wouldn't see where its coming from, and would explain why it would leak only when running.

Tomorrow morning after i get to work, ill check it asap. Thanks for the tip!

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Well i found the leak today, and its exactly where the shop said it was. After i got to the shop and opened up, i went and drove it hard for about 15 minutes, pulled it into the shop, and put the coolant pressure tester on it. You can see the coolant was coming out of the front cover, right where the shop marked with a paint pen.

Pics: (They are progressively zoomed out so you can see where its at)
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

So i went out and bought a 5 oz tube of JB Weld. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• 20170211_114531.jpg
    20170211_114531.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20170211_114533.jpg
    20170211_114533.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170211_114536.jpg
    20170211_114536.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 123

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Layed it as thick as could be on there, waiting for it to dry overnight, and ill know in the morning if it worked or not. If not, ill be ordered a front cover from RiffRaff and pulling the motor...

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Nope, still leaking, I guess I'm pulling the motor myself. What all am I going to need for the job? I'm going to order a 96 cover, the ford gray rtv, and go pick me up a 2000lbs engine stand. Anything else I'll need?

rusty1161

Reaction score
Before pulling the engine, can I ask did you drain the coolant and pull the vacuum pump and A/C compressor and mount and clean really good before applying the JB Weld? If not, if that was my truck I would drain the coolant, disassemble the front accessories for better access. And clean and prep really good before applying the JB Weld. That area looks pretty tough to get to and pretty dirty and oily too.

Rusty

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Yes I pulled everything, including the radiator to get in there, lots of brake clean and rags to ensure cleanliness and then painted on about 3 Oz of jb weld, then let cure for 48 hours.

I obviously missed the hole somehow, which tells me I won't be able to fix it this way, and I might as well replace it

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
So my list consists of a 96 front cover, 1 tube of motorcraft rtv, 96 hpop gasket, and the lower hpop reservoir gasket. Anyone know if I'm going to need anything else?

Members online

No members online now.