Powermax why does it have troubles unless tuned::

ODAWG714

Reaction score
And is there anyway to roll back the ECM to the 03-04 strategy? And if not can purchasing the 03-04 and slapping it in be possible? My 04 used to fly compared to the 07 and got way better mileage. Just wondering..

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
you can flashback to earlier 05 strategies, but you cant run 03-04 programming in an 05+. PCM's arent interchangeable either.

Mdub707

Reaction score
They can roll back the FICM to the earlier strategies though... and for that matter you can run an older FICM in a newer truck too. I really love the old 7 pins I find with the really old strategy on them, they idle smoother, run quieter and seem way snappier.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
yeah they can do that too, and its a world of a difference, however thats an entirely different topic :pimp:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
You can command whatever you want on the inferred EBP strategies and the turbo does it. The only problem is eventually you start working backwards and hitting the surge line of the compressor map.

Yep, I saw an example of going too far at the TS diesel nationals earlier this year, when Bill was messing with the tunes and vgt duty on the stage 2 turbo, and ramped to 25% vgt duty, turbo hit 45 psi off the line then surged all the way down the track. The reson we justed vgt was that the stage 2 was putting so much more volume of air per backpressure PMC thought it still had stock turbo and was going into overspeed, so it would open vanes and boost would drop to 24psi. We still haven't got it dailed in 100% yet, and still looking at it.
I got something for all the tuners that is completely nuts, this has happen twice on two different trucks. One truck had the stage 2 on it and the PMC started to learn it and did the opening the vanes for volume thing. We took the turbo off and put a stock turbo on, he left the shop and bam the truck blew a hose off, stock turbo nailed 45psi. Second truck was Bill's, he took the stage 2 off after running tests and PMC was used to seeing stage 2 numbers, he had truck on dyno, took stage 2 off put stock turbo on and ran a pull. The truck dyno'ed 510rwhp with stock turbo and 175/stock size injectors. Boost numbers hit the 45psi on stock turbo.
I think the PMC didn't have enough time to relearn and the numbers that the stage 2 was hitting wasn't close for stock turbo and let it full spool. Anyone have any other idea of what happen.

Mdub707

Reaction score
A stock turbo at 45psi has to be so far out of it's efficiency range, any idea what backpressure was at those numbers?

U235a4

Reaction score
I use a PM on my 05 and FICM and ECM tunes from Eric@ID and a VXCF9NZ strat and the PM by far is snappier and more power through out the rpm range by STOP when compared to the the stock turbo. I have ID tunes for stock and PM

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
A stock turbo at 45psi has to be so far out of it's efficiency range, any idea what backpressure was at those numbers?

No he didn't have backpressure numbers, point is the pmc let the stock turbo overboost, due to what was happening with the limit on the stage 2.

Gearhead

Reaction score
There is some learning with the inferred EBP flashes, but it isn't immediate and there is limits.

Mdub707

Reaction score
No he didn't have backpressure numbers, point is the pmc let the stock turbo overboost, due to what was happening with the limit on the stage 2.

I don't really buy it. I mean if there was any power to be gained up in that territory, I'd think the tuners would have figured out how to do so. It was my understanding once it got up to the high 30's in boost numbers it was out of it's efficiency range and just pushing hot air at that point, not actually making any more power.

Maybe it was a fluke, maybe you're on to something, but either way a stock turbo at that range wont last long at all, I'm sure we can all agree on that.

I realize your point is more about tuning and the changes made though, and that part I'm interested in. 500hp on a stock turbo though? Insane.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I don't really buy it. I mean if there was any power to be gained up in that territory, I'd think the tuners would have figured out how to do so. It was my understanding once it got up to the high 30's in boost numbers it was out of it's efficiency range and just pushing hot air at that point, not actually making any more power.

Maybe it was a fluke, maybe you're on to something, but either way a stock turbo at that range wont last long at all, I'm sure we can all agree on that.

I realize your point is more about tuning and the changes made though, and that part I'm interested in. 500hp on a stock turbo though? Insane.

I agree the turbo won't last long, and the reason I brought it up was that it was a fluke type thing. The truck goes back to normal after a very short time when the PMC figures it out. As far as tuners getting this strange thing to happen from tuning, I can't answer that, don't know enough about the tuning to know if a tuner could make it happen on demand. I would think that you would have to know what the PMC is doing at that exact time to find all the settings needed. I also brought it up to show how the PMC is the brains of these trucks and if gets a kink in it or losses one little thing who knows what the engine is going to do.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Thanks for posting regardless, this is very interesting stuff, and it's nice to see people share the learning!

So if you've hit 500hp on stock sticks, and 500hp on a stock turbo.... what can you hit with both installed???? haha

6.0 Sicko

Reaction score
Hi Mad
I have an 04 6.0 with a Pmax, 155 sticks,o-ring heads and studs,cfm intake,s&b air filter, turbo back exhaust no cat, blue spring upgrade,IPR remote oil cooler kit,amsoil bypass oil filtration,billet torque converter,35 Toyos, 373s and tunes from Tad at Elite and Jody at DP. Its a daily driver here in the mountains of NY. I was wondering what you recommend for lag with this set up, and also keeping the EGTs down when towing or climbing the long grades.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Hi Mad
I have an 04 6.0 with a Pmax, 155 sticks,o-ring heads and studs,cfm intake,s&b air filter, turbo back exhaust no cat, blue spring upgrade,IPR remote oil cooler kit,amsoil bypass oil filtration,billet torque converter,35 Toyos, 373s and tunes from Tad at Elite and Jody at DP. Its a daily driver here in the mountains of NY. I was wondering what you recommend for lag with this set up, and also keeping the EGTs down when towing or climbing the long grades.

Might want to try a different tuner, I know Eric, Chris, Matt, or Vivian might make the powermax work better for you, turners all tune just alittle different, and maybe one of them can get the lag out of it. You also might what to make sure you don't have any leaks, exhaust or cool side.
Wrap a piece of auminum foil around your joints and tape them, I use safety wire, take truck out and make sure you hit max boost, a couple of times. Then go back and check the aluminum foil, if it blown apart, you know you have a leak there.
Sounds like you have a nice set up, shouldn't be having troulbles with it at all. Hope that helps a little.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
no, you need the vgt duty cycle in the tune adjusted accordingly. Chris at tsd has this down to a science. I have 2-3 trucks here with powermaxes and tsd tunes and theyre all awesome to drive.

BogginF350

Reaction score
All the strategies I have tested all use the actual ebp tables to control the VGT. That's why I must tune the 68PMX we sell. It's a great turbo when calibrated correctly. But you run standard tunes with it and the life of the charger will be short lived. It took me days of data logging while testing on inclines, towing etc to get it just right. I shared a rough screen shot of the tables with Eric at IDP some time ago. How many calibrators do that? ;)

amarillo250

Reaction score
I look into this for a while now and can just say that only the Best work hand in hand together. The Pmax can be a pain for towing, but I hope that the tuners can figure it out and get the propper tune for each of us. I'll have to get back to Eric at IDP and get my towing tune pulled some fuel out because it is to hot and smokes like a freight train.
Just got my truck back from the shop and got some little things worked out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.