procharger?

EDP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
We are starting out with the F1D as of lately on most kits. You will have some performance lose if you are going straight up turbo numbers to procharger compound numbers. But with added fuel and correct tuning you will be right back with a lot more usable RPM range.

DocBar

Reaction score
I thought long and hard about buying a procharger, but was talked out of it by a guy who had one on his 7.3(I was actually going to buy his). According to him, it was maintenance heavy and not reliable. He had a lot of issues with oil and the belt for it. He didn't recommend it for a daily driver or being used on a truck that travels long distances, pulling a 5er, like I do.

Taking all of that into consideration, I chose to go with compounds. Now if I could just get Pius to send me the price for my primary, I'd be in business.

imelmo

Reaction score
I thought long and hard about buying a procharger, but was talked out of it by a guy who had one on his 7.3(I was actually going to buy his). According to him, it was maintenance heavy and not reliable. He had a lot of issues with oil and the belt for it. He didn't recommend it for a daily driver or being used on a truck that travels long distances, pulling a 5er, like I do.

Taking all of that into consideration, I chose to go with compounds. Now if I could just get Pius to send me the price for my primary, I'd be in business.

Who was it? Nothing could be further from the truth. Very low maintenance. And I never had any belt issues until I took my bracket off to get to something else and screwed something up and put something out of alignment. Never had a single issue with it other than that. As far as maintenance all you do is change the oil and check the belt tension every once in a while so I don't get what the deal is there.

DocBar

Reaction score
Who was it? Nothing could be further from the truth. Very low maintenance. And I never had any belt issues until I took my bracket off to get to something else and screwed something up and put something out of alignment. Never had a single issue with it other than that. As far as maintenance all you do is change the oil and check the belt tension every once in a while so I don't get what the deal is there.

I'm trying to remember his name. His procharger was at David's shop.

EDIT: I cleaned out my mailbox last summer and deleted the PM's back and forth. David should know the guy's name, though. He lives in the Houston area, IIRC.

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

Curious who you hear this from as well. Tyler and buddy had them on their trucks. They both had great success with them. I'm tellin ya, Tyler's truck could do anything. Just like the video posted above. Long grades with a heavy load and EGT's were never an issue.

DocBar

Reaction score
Curious who you hear this from as well. Tyler and buddy had them on their trucks. They both had great success with them. I'm tellin ya, Tyler's truck could do anything. Just like the video posted above. Long grades with a heavy load and EGT's were never an issue.
I was going to get a dang good deal on it, being used and all. This guy was talking about oil leaks from the charger and the belt breaking on him out in the middle of nowhere. I believe I talked to Tyler about his and he loved it. I decided to go with compounds because I live out of my 5er when I'm working and don't have the facilities to do much maintenance.

dbunyip

Reaction score
This has always intrigued me, where do they mount them on the engine? I have an engine driven compressor and I'm guessing that they are using the same space for the procharger, next to the alternator?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

imelmo

Reaction score
It hangs on a bracket off the front of the engine. On the 6.0 it sets where the passenger side battery was. I believe it's on the driver's side on a 7.3.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
You have to be careful that your running enough rpm from the procharger for a bigger turbo.

My 74mm gt42 and my 68mm Gt4294 would actually pull a vacuum between stages on a hard run. The 74mm more so than the smaller turbo...just some food for thought.

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
You have to be careful that your running enough rpm from the procharger for a bigger turbo.

My 74mm gt42 and my 68mm Gt4294 would actually pull a vacuum between stages on a hard run. The 74mm more so than the smaller turbo...just some food for thought.

So what your saying is more like a 468 or so?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I'm saying be selective with your blower and pulley size.

I think I was one off the only people to check boost between stages with a supercharger.

I would say the smaller the turbo the better...it's still you're high pressure turbo so it's going to determine spool

DocBar

Reaction score
I'm saying be selective with your blower and pulley size.

I think I was one off the only people to check boost between stages with a supercharger.

I would say the smaller the turbo the better...it's still you're high pressure turbo so it's going to determine spool
Wouldn't getting the waste gates dialed in be a big help here, too?

Latest posts

Members online