Project Truck

Homesteader

Reaction score
I pulled my injectors yesterday to get ready to do my head studs. What do I look for when checking injector cups. Do they need to be replaced even if motor has only 57k miles. Is there anything to look at,when looking at the stock injectors?

Thanks

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
From what I understand, unless its an early '99 (sealant may not be compatible with ELC) - if they're not broke, don't fix them. I'm anxious to hear what the experts say though!! :popcorn:

Homesteader

Reaction score
From what I understand, unless its an early '99 (sealant may not be compatible with ELC) - if they're not broke, don't fix them. I'm anxious to hear what the experts say though!! :popcorn:

Its a 97. Will the Rottela ELC work or not? What would a bad injector cup be or look like? I didnt really get to look at the cups closely but motor was pefectly fine before build. Just want to know what to look for when inspecting cups.

Thanks

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Its a 97. Will the Rottela ELC work or not? What would a bad injector cup be or look like? I didnt really get to look at the cups closely but motor was pefectly fine before build. Just want to know what to look for when inspecting cups.

Thanks

I'm not sure about the ELC in a '97... The few cups I've seen changed out did not have an issue and the sealant in the e99 motor 'looked' identical to the sealant in all the other motors. It always seemed like a waste of time to me, but I ain't real smart either! These aren't really a 'wearing' part. I'd think if there are no visble cracks or defects and there were no leaks before disassembly - they should be fine???????????

I guess for $100 or so its plenty easy to do while engine is out, it doesn't hurt anything and should provide peace of mind. ;)

Homesteader

Reaction score
I was hoping to used the ELC since my other truck has it. What do you use to clean the cups just blue shop disposable rags? It looks pretty good but didn't put a light to it yet,so just look for cracks and scratches. How hard is it to change them out ?

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I was hoping to used the ELC since my other truck has it. What do you use to clean the cups just blue shop disposable rags? It looks pretty good but didn't put a light to it yet,so just look for cracks and scratches. How hard is it to change them out ?

Yeah, I can never go back to checking SCA's and those annoying coolant changes...

I've always slurped out the cups when I was clearing the tops of the pistons with a mighty-vac, the used a rag-on-a-screwdriver to dry them the rest of the way up. I dunno what else we would look for? :shrug:

With the engine out of the truck and a good tool, its not very hard at all. Some of the vendors will 'loan' you a tool if ya buy cups from them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.