PTM

Logant_14

Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of prep and finish work needs to be done for the best results when painting the chrome plastics and bumpers on the 6.7s?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of prep and finish work needs to be done for the best results when painting the chrome plastics and bumpers on the 6.7s?

high quality adhesion promoter and epoxy primer, and a lot of sanding/scuffing.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I would start with PTM pieces whenever possible... IE, start with a king ranch grill... start with XL bumpers, etc.

also allows for less downtime while getting the paint work done

jm.02

Logant_14

Reaction score
I've found a few xl front bumpers but I can't seem to find rear w/ holes for the park sensors. I figured the plastic pieces would be easy to get the "chrome" off of. Or am I wrong?

12stroker

Reaction score
I know when I did my bumpers I got them off of a platinum front and a king ranch rear. Then for the grille surrounding I bought it from ford and had them all painted by the body shop.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
King ranch rears are fairly easy to find around these parts... good call on the reverse prox sensors. King Ranch, Platinum, or FX4 will do

Logant_14

Reaction score
I can't find any local to me and the ones on eBay have killer shipping rates

straggleweed

Reaction score
I paid $300 total for front and rear bumpers off of a king ranch from a place that sells ranch hands this morning. Then bought a primed grill surround, mirror caps, rear door handle to replace the one with the keyhole and a 2wd valence today for $400 at the dealership. I dropped everything off at the body shop (except for the valence) and I am waiting on the quote for the paint work. If the price for the paint isn't too bad I think I made out fair. Either way its going to look nice when its done.

I also traded a new in the box H&S race tuner that wouldn't work on my '13 for some really nice looking wheels with my boss. His is a '12 so it all worked out.

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score
I paid $300 total for front and rear bumpers off of a king ranch from a place that sells ranch hands this morning. Then bought a primed grill surround, mirror caps, rear door handle to replace the one with the keyhole and a 2wd valence today for $400 at the dealership. I dropped everything off at the body shop (except for the valence) and I am waiting on the quote for the paint work. If the price for the paint isn't too bad I think I made out fair. Either way its going to look nice when its done.

I also traded a new in the box H&S race tuner that wouldn't work on my '13 for some really nice looking wheels with my boss. His is a '12 so it all worked out.

I got a quote for 150 for just mirror caps, which sounds fair to me, so I would think the grill is gonna cost me 3-400 to get painted, then bumpers will be 400 each for prep and paint probably maybe even 500 each but well worth it. imo.

Logant_14

Reaction score

Does that company have anymore bumpers?

straggleweed

Reaction score
I got a quote for 150 for just mirror caps, which sounds fair to me, so I would think the grill is gonna cost me 3-400 to get painted, then bumpers will be 400 each for prep and paint probably maybe even 500 each but well worth it. imo.

$150 for the caps seems high... these are just the smooth plastic that is ready for paint. This is at the dealership and they painted a door handle for my 2010 for $20 a few years ago so I am hoping they dont get too carried away. I could see the bumpers costing more since they are currently tan but hopefully not too bad.

RSK

Reaction score
$150 for the caps seems high... these are just the smooth plastic that is ready for paint. This is at the dealership and they painted a door handle for my 2010 for $20 a few years ago so I am hoping they dont get too carried away. I could see the bumpers costing more since they are currently tan but hopefully not too bad.

150 to paint them. found them for 62 dollars for the actual caps in primer ready to be painted, maybe I can sell my chrome ones to someone.

Latest posts

Members online