Race truck Vgt

78f100

Reaction score
I am collecting parts to finally start on my race truck. I plan on building my own turbo setup. I am wondering why no one, or at least no one I know of has used a like a 68 6.0 Vgt as a hp in a compound setup? They seem fairly cheap compared to the 6.4vgt's.
Am I just sleep deprived or is this a bad idea?

78f100

Reaction score
I think the vgt control would work as long as the signal is the same, and I think it is. Anyone else have any thoughts?

B585Ford

Reaction score
I think the vgt control would work as long as the signal is the same, and I think it is. Anyone else have any thoughts?

You know more about this stuff than I, but the one concern I would have (which could be fixed) is if the current to the actuator is the same for the 6.4 and 6.0. For example, if you want the vanes at 50%, your truck will send 0.3 amps to open the vanes to that level on a 6.4, but I am not sure if 50% would also be 0.3 amps on the 6.0. If we had EFI Live, you can see those tables and could adjust them to make it equal, but I am not sure if you can get them on MCC. I assume if you contact H&S they could probably do that for you. Hopefully, they are the same which would make life simple.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Sub'd also. Dmax guys run a s475 using their stock VGT charger all the time and put down some good power. I don't see why this wouldn't work either. Getting the VGT to cooperate with the 6.4 PCM again is going to be the trick.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
If we had EFI Live, you can see those tables and could adjust them to make it equal, but I am not sure if you can get them on MCC. I assume if you contact H&S they could probably do that for you. Hopefully, they are the same which would make life simple.
You mean.....like this :thumbsup:
1bec96a3-aeb7-414f-8078-5aec9c7f042a_zps5994710b.png

You would just have to figure out what the voltage is on a 6.0 i assume and tune from there.

Last edited:

3brorce

Reaction score
He's is not talking about a stock vgt charger. Beech did that with a 6.4 with stock high pressure and a 480. He is talking about taking a milled modded 6.0 vgt and putting it on a 6.4 and compounding it.

3brorce

Reaction score
I thought the biggest was a 66mm vgt or is that the insanity thats a 71?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Insanity is the 71vgt

Jared is right, the signals are different and seems like you'd be going backwards with that turbo anyway.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Turbine is also the other issue.

I ran a 71billet vgt in my compounds for a bit and it wasn't too bad. Wish I didn't hurt that turbo I'd like to see how it does esp as a single

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Are you worried about the Elite part of it?

The next option would be to run a duramax turbo, the uppipes are similar and could probably be modified to use one. i wouldnt run a 6.0 version if it were me.

78f100

Reaction score
Are you worried about the Elite part of it?

The next option would be to run a duramax turbo, the uppipes are similar and could probably be modified to use one. i wouldnt run a 6.0 version if it were me.

well I don't like talking bad about anyone, and they did me a favor getting my replacement vgt out so soon. I have not been able to get any info on my core refund as of yet, and that was in October. I am a little sore about that.

pog

Reaction score
what about a vgt off an isx motor? just talkin out of my ass here.

Latest posts

Members online