randomly shuts down

mattl140

Reaction score
i have a 99 f250 couple days ago pulling up to a light and the truck shuts off i stop and it fires back up this also happened to me last week and it fires right back up. it almost feels like you turn the key it doesn't stutter or anything. i have changed my cps about 8000km ago so don't think its that thanks.

mattl140

Reaction score
ill take a look maybe the nut is coming off thanks. any other way on checking it

Last edited:

6ohstroker

Reaction score
I would check the CPS again. I had an early 2000 that would die randomly when you stepped on the brake pedal. It eventually started doing it ever time you hit the brakes. Slapped a new CPS on it and never did it again.

old man dave

Reaction score
If you are reasonable sure that the sensors are good, then check the CPS and IVS sensor connections and harness for bare spots on the insulation. Also check the IPR harness for the loose nut and harness condition.

03 7.3

Reaction score
Had this exact same thing happen to me about a year ago.

With the use of a GOOD scanner, local tech diagnosed and corrected the issue (bad ICP) in about 10min in the parking lot.

Hope this helps.

Jomax

Reaction score
What cps brand did you use 8k km ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
See if you can swap ipr coils with someone else with a 7.3. I just fixed mine today and I probably had a bad coil, being that's what I changed. Chances are whatever your issue is will get worse in a fairly short timeframe. If you can pull codes after it dies do that as well. That'll give us a better idea as well. Without that its shooting in the dark.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Buy another CPS. You never know. If it doesn't fix it, at least you now have a good spare.

Find someone who has an IPR that you can borrow to test if that is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattl140

Reaction score
got it scanned got these codes (p1280) injector control pressure ICP circuit out of range i changed this sensor along with the pigtail about 10k ago. (p0221) throttle position sensor/switch B perform. i knew about this one. (P0340) cam position sensor circuit fault also changed this sensor about 10k ago. i did a buzz test and they all sounded fine. also did a contribution test and got cylinder 5 and cylinder 8. I'm guessing cylinder 8 is a ghost code thrown by the cps sensor.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Cam position fault can be from extended crank times with no start, but a bad cps can also cause the truck to randomly die. And they've been known to be bad when new and soon after new.

Pull the plug out of the icp sensor and see if it's got oil on it. Have you gotten a chance to check with a different ipr yet?

Bad contribution test won't cause it to die and restart.

Arisley

Reaction score
got it scanned got these codes (p1280) injector control pressure ICP circuit out of range i changed this sensor along with the pigtail about 10k ago. (p0221) throttle position sensor/switch B perform. i knew about this one. (P0340) cam position sensor circuit fault also changed this sensor about 10k ago. i did a buzz test and they all sounded fine. also did a contribution test and got cylinder 5 and cylinder 8. I'm guessing cylinder 8 is a ghost code thrown by the cps sensor.

When you changed the ICP sensor, how did you make your connections?

Latest posts

Members online