Real Tuning

maxxedout

Reaction score
I’m not a tuner, and I don’t know the first thing about what it takes to write the firmware to support ECM/TCM flashes. That being said, I’m still a little disappointed EZ Lynk hasn’t been able to get the TCM flash figured out. Patriot had it on the Nguage months ago, so I thought it would be reasonable to assume EZ Lynk wouldn’t be far behind. Obviously, it’s possible, but it must not be very high on their priority list. I thought it was a little dumb that they got Nissan Titan ECM support out before 2017 6.7 transmission support. I would be willing to bet 6.7 guys outnumber the Nissan guys 5 to 1, so you’d think they’d want to get the TCM stuff done sooner as opposed to later. In the meantime, I just see no purpose to the EZ Lynk... I have no intention of using a tuner that we have no idea when (or even if) there will be TCM support. On top of that, there are constantly people on the EZ Lynk FB group posting how their profiles disappeared, trucks locked up in the middle of flashing, etc. I’m not trying to **** talk anyone’s product, but it seems like this is still very much a work in progress. Hopefully, they’ll get to us eventually, but until then, I’m just going to sit tight. Again, I’ll be the first to admit I couldn’t write the programming to do this, but it sure does seem like our trucks have been put on the back burner for now.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
ez has it figured out, they had some coding issues, and honestly they just had a ton of other things going on simultaneously . they expect to do some beta trans stuff this week and thats that. so hopefully anyday now.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in, Mike.

I guess I’m just skeptical of the product right now. I absolutely love the way the new truck runs, but I’d like to ditch all the garbage underneath. All I want is a reasonable bump in power and some firmer transmission shifting to match. I just want to do the mods and be done... I don’t want to have to go back a week or month later and reflash for TCM tuning, and most of all, I don’t want to do anything that’s going to take away from how everything on the truck “just works”.

I don’t have the time or patience to deal with the growing pains and “still figuring it out” experience. With as much as these trucks cost, I want a tuning solution that will compliment the truck, not cause a bunch of unnecessary grief. As a consumer, I don’t want to find out the hard way there are still aspects of the tuning that need to be worked out.

I can’t be the only one that feels this way, right?

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in, Mike.

I guess I’m just skeptical of the product right now. I absolutely love the way the new truck runs, but I’d like to ditch all the garbage underneath. All I want is a reasonable bump in power and some firmer transmission shifting to match. I just want to do the mods and be done... I don’t want to have to go back a week or month later and reflash for TCM tuning, and most of all, I don’t want to do anything that’s going to take away from how everything on the truck “just works”.

I don’t have the time or patience to deal with the growing pains and “still figuring it out” experience. With as much as these trucks cost, I want a tuning solution that will compliment the truck, not cause a bunch of unnecessary grief. As a consumer, I don’t want to find out the hard way there are still aspects of the tuning that need to be worked out.

I can’t be the only one that feels this way, right?

as for the device , there aren't any growing pains that i'm aware of, mine on my 13 and 17 have performed flawlessly. that being said in regards to the trans, for sure, i do feel that way, and i have been up their a$$ for the last month and its paid off. its got some insanely cool features and the cloud is the way of the future for sure. we certainly wont let our customers find out the hard way, that's why we test everything we sell, or dont sell. hang tight another week or 2, it'll be worth the wait, i promise.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

I’d definitely like to remove all the “unnecessary” stuff from my truck, but I want to make sure I’m happy with the end result. Don’t want to mod a 78k truck just to find out the tuning leaves a lot to be desired. I have zero intentions of doing any hard part mods to this one, just want a fun and reliable daily driver.

I’ll stay tuned and be patient. Again, thank you for your input.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
We have probably installed 50 EZLynk support packs to date with our Auto Agent and I can remember 2 times out of those 50 that we even encountered an error at all. All it took to fix that error was to start the flash over and it worked perfectly the second time.

EZLynk is bar none the easiest tuning platform on the market and the most capable. Great things come with time, it will be worth being patient.

Just like any product you are going to see all the negative online. The first 18 year old with daddy's pickup trying to tune it in his garage while listening to the stereo on full blast, draining the batteries, and then running into an issue is going to post that on the facebook page trying to find immediate help for the piece of **** product.

If I have learned anything being in this industry, its that most problems are in fact caused by an uneducated individual as the operator. This EZLynk stuff kicks ass.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose you have a point about only hearing the negative feedback on social media. Social media is a plague lol.

In all seriousness, my reservations towards the new product are a result of my so-so experience with my Mini Maxx on my last truck. I used to work as a Ford tech, so I'm very familiar with how careful you need to be while flashing a truck. Radio off, climate off, auto headlights off, etc. Even so, the Mini bricked the first time I tried to flash the truck. I would have been SOL if the guy I bought it from didn't have a few tricks up his sleeve, and a laptop to FORCE a Ford calibration back into the truck. Shortly before I sold the truck, I was having issues loading tunes onto the SD card, and I won't even get into all the grief I had trying tunes to get my mods dialed in. (To this day, I'm amazed by how patient Morgan @ Midwest was.) Eventually, we got it dialed in, and all was well. The guy I sold it to loves how it runs, but he's more willing to toy with things than I am.

Today, I really don't have the time or patience to deal with a bunch of back and forth. I have no intention of making any hard part modifications to the truck beyond an E*G*R and D*P*F* de-lete. Between work and my house, I have more than enough to keep me busy, and I have no desire to deal with the back and forth aspects of custom tuning or extensive modifications. My only goal with this truck is to enhance how it drives, not turn it into a race truck with a bunch of quirks/issues.

The EZ Lynk does look like a great product, and it's incredible how far the industry has come, especially when you look back at the first generation of flash tuners. I just need a little more reassurance that both the device and tuning are really up to par before I start making changes on the truck I shelled out a bunch of money for. The last thing in the world I want for this is to regret tuning the truck because of issues that are inherent to the tuning or tuner. I just want it to work and work well.

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose you have a point about only hearing the negative feedback on social media. Social media is a plague lol.

In all seriousness, my reservations towards the new product are a result of my so-so experience with my Mini Maxx on my last truck. I used to work as a Ford tech, so I'm very familiar with how careful you need to be while flashing a truck. Radio off, climate off, auto headlights off, etc. Even so, the Mini bricked the first time I tried to flash the truck. I would have been SOL if the guy I bought it from didn't have a few tricks up his sleeve, and a laptop to FORCE a Ford calibration back into the truck. Shortly before I sold the truck, I was having issues loading tunes onto the SD card, and I won't even get into all the grief I had trying tunes to get my mods dialed in. (To this day, I'm amazed by how patient Morgan @ Midwest was.) Eventually, we got it dialed in, and all was well. The guy I sold it to loves how it runs, but he's more willing to toy with things than I am.

Today, I really don't have the time or patience to deal with a bunch of back and forth. I have no intention of making any hard part modifications to the truck beyond an E*G*R and D*P*F* de-lete. Between work and my house, I have more than enough to keep me busy, and I have no desire to deal with the back and forth aspects of custom tuning or extensive modifications. My only goal with this truck is to enhance how it drives, not turn it into a race truck with a bunch of quirks/issues.

The EZ Lynk does look like a great product, and it's incredible how far the industry has come, especially when you look back at the first generation of flash tuners. I just need a little more reassurance that both the device and tuning are really up to par before I start making changes on the truck I shelled out a bunch of money for. The last thing in the world I want for this is to regret tuning the truck because of issues that are inherent to the tuning or tuner. I just want it to work and work well.

Sounds to me like you should leave it alone. That is a lot of posting explaining your concern and disappointment. I EZ'd mine with 1000 miles on my truck with no issues.

BK39

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you should leave it alone. That is a lot of posting explaining your concern and disappointment. I EZ'd mine with 1000 miles on my truck with no issues.

Lol, that's it? :poke: You feeling okay today?

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Lol, that's it? :poke: You feeling okay today?

Ya feel great, well I fell ok i guess little disappointed in Nyquil. It doesn't smell very good really, been starring at the bottle and googling it on webmd for a few months thinking about trying it. The side effects really have me concerned.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Ya feel great, well I fell ok i guess little disappointed in Nyquil. It doesn't smell very good really, been starring at the bottle and googling it on webmd for a few months thinking about trying it. The side effects really have me concerned.

You need some of dat hard sh*t to get you back to yo normal self cuz

maxxedout

Reaction score
I suppose I had a little ball busting coming for that. I tend to overthink/over explain things.

Bottom line: I do want to modify the truck, but I want to make sure the tuning itself and the tuning device are up to par before I do it.

I would like to hear more from the people running tuned 2017's before I buy. I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I suppose I had a little ball busting coming for that. I tend to overthink/over explain things.

Bottom line: I do want to modify the truck, but I want to make sure the tuning itself and the tuning device are up to par before I do it.

I would like to hear more from the people running tuned 2017's before I buy. I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

There is always some amount of risk involved. I have had mine tuned for 6K miles on 150 or 200 all the time, I usually get after it everytime I drive. I have towed 15K for half of those miles on the same tunes. I just keep my foot out of it.

F

Floorboard79

im happy with ez lynk thus far, about 20k miles into it. ready for trans tunes, slushy shifting sucks and frustrates me every time i drive it. outside of that im 100% satisfied thus far

Jassman

Reaction score
What about shift on the fly SCT program...????? Anyone have them here.

maxxedout

Reaction score
im happy with ez lynk thus far, about 20k miles into it. ready for trans tunes, slushy shifting sucks and frustrates me every time i drive it. outside of that im 100% satisfied thus far

I messaged GDP yesterday, and they told me about two more weeks. I know it's just an estimate, and the release ultimately depends on EZ Lynk, but I think it's getting very close. (We can hope lol.)

Mine shifts exactly like my 2012 did...

Stock vs. stock, I think the 2017 shifts a little more crisp than my 2012 did, but trans. #1 on my 2012 died at 8,200 miles. I wonder if anyone has torn into one of these 2017 transmissions to see if they upped the clutch count?

Jgon08

Reaction score
I messaged GDP yesterday, and they told me about two more weeks. I know it's just an estimate, and the release ultimately depends on EZ Lynk, but I think it's getting very close. (We can hope lol.)

Stock vs. stock, I think the 2017 shifts a little more crisp than my 2012 did, but trans. #1 on my 2012 died at 8,200 miles. I wonder if anyone has torn into one of these 2017 transmissions to see if they upped the clutch count?

I heard they added more clutch’s like the 11-14’s but I’m not sure on that. If you fried a trans that fast something wasn’t right, or you treated like it owed you money. But sometimes it dose happen early, just one of those things when adding power to trucks.

Latest posts

Members online