rear end

TARM

Reaction score
I wish there was a a full video of a complete 10.5 master rebuild.

JDub

Reaction score
I loved the True Trac I put in my 2wd truck, wouldn't hesitate buying another one of those.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I wish there was a a full video of a complete 10.5 master rebuild.

They are more simple than people make them sound. There really is a lack of quality rebuild information on the 10.5/10.25 available on the internet. I was on my own the first time I did one and just took my time and triple checked everything. Now I can breeze through a rebuild.

TARM

Reaction score
I figure that as just about everything with mechanical stuff is that way. The only reason I would like to see this first is when you are getting the contact pattern to actually see it and the effects of changes would be really helpful visually as its being done. That is much more helpful that a single angle picture which can be way off depending on shot angle.

As for me if there was someone in driving distance of Winchester that could come over something like that would be night and day better for the first time.

OSCS

Reaction score
Setting proper Backlash/load is easy so long as you have a good set of feeler gauges.. Although I do it everyday when timing hydraulic fracturing pumps.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Setting proper Backlash/load is easy so long as you have a good set of feeler gauges.. Although I do it everyday when timing hydraulic fracturing pumps.

Backlash you check with a dial indicator. I've never had to use a set of feeler gauges on a 10.5.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
This is from my last full rebuild/TruTrac install.
d9e3bfaf.jpg

MilehighEX

Reaction score
definitly a dial indicator not feelers...I guess I stand corrected, on the shiming of a 10.5". It has been a while since I have been in a sterling rear, Dana's use the shims under the carrier bearings...thankyou 91turbogsx

OSCS

Reaction score
We use feeler guages to check the final load and backlash. Our dial indicator is used to adjust the pinon to get desired l/bl I guess essentially it the same thing. Interesting to see how you do it.

MossBack

Reaction score
We use feeler guages to check the final load and backlash. Our dial indicator is used to adjust the pinon to get desired l/bl I guess essentially it the same thing. Interesting to see how you do it.

When I used to rebuild frac pumps we used feeler gauges as go no go on the slide guides. However pinion was never touched in a rebuild. I do believe hburton pumps are different then other frac companies.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

OSCS

Reaction score
When I used to rebuild frac pumps we used feeler gauges as go no go on the slide guides. However pinion was never touched in a rebuild. I do believe hburton pumps are different then other frac companies.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

yeah hburton pumps and fluidends are one off designs, not interchangable like SPM,gardner denver etc. On a typical rebuild the pinon doesnt need to be jacked with but sometimes you get a a really messed up one.

johndeerezach

Reaction score

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I always get my TruTrac's from Summit. They can ship it to you for less than what Randy's R&P is asking. But for my rebuild kits/bearings I go through them.

Big Bore

Reaction score
launching waverunners in 100* weather? OMG

Well apparently.:shrug:

I never back up to launch or pull out a boat without locking hubs. I've seen too many trucks go swimming or unable to pull out. Saw a guy slide backwards into the water while trying to pull forward. I''m sure tires play a part, but a slimy wet ramp doesn't care what kind of tires you have.

As to lockers, as someone who spends almost half his yearly driving time in 4x4 on icy mtn roads, I would never do a rear locker unless it was selectable. And for that matter, using my trucks for heavy work towing and getting into jobsites in mud, snow and rough terrain for almost 20 years, the factory LS has never let me down, so I'm wondering why that isn't an option here? I don't know what the OP's driving conditions are, but if they include ice for a significant amount of time in winter, lockers are a definite no no. I know everytime I do a burnout I leave two long black marks, and anytime the wheels start slipping the LS kicks in quickly.

Just throwing some thoughts and another option to the OP.

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Exactly. When I replaced my spiders, I also replace my LS clutches and plates. Factory was stacked for a lot of slip. I stacked them alternating friction and steel. They are still pulling very strong.

Latest posts

Members online