Reman Alternator

goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
I got tired of replacing cheap parts store alternators every two years. So I put a 210 amp alternator off of a OBS ambulance package on my 2003. Dual rectifiers, heavy duty construction, made by Mitsubishi. The thing is huge.

The bolt pattern is the same. But I had to significantly clearance the bracket. I used an angle grinder and about 5 minutes of my time. The plug on the back must be changed to the OBS plug. The factory belt was not long enough, so I had to get a longer belt. The main power wire was replaced with 2/0 welding cable with an inline 300 amp fuse. It is necessary to add a dedicated ground wire from the alternator to the battery in which I used 4 gauge welding cable.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbf9703

Reaction score
I got tired of replacing cheap parts store alternators every two years. So I put a 210 amp alternator off of a OBS ambulance package on my 2003. Dual rectifiers, heavy duty construction, made by Mitsubishi. The thing is huge.

The bolt pattern is the same. But I had to significantly clearance the bracket. I used an angle grinder and about 5 minutes of my time. The plug on the back must be changed to the OBS plug. The factory belt was not long enough, so I had to get a longer belt. The main power wire was replaced with 2/0 welding cable with an inline 300 amp fuse. It is necessary to add a dedicated ground wire from the alternator to the battery in which I used 4 gauge welding cable.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

I'm curious how the set up turned out and looks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Why does it "have" to have a ground to the battery and not just the frame rail?

Mine are both hd and both grounded to the frame.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Oh, you said it was necessary to add one to the battery at -. I just wondered what you meant.

I have single ott cable for alt grounds. My pos battery cabkes are 2/0 cable, cadmium tinned cast copper hydraulic crimp on terminals. Shrink wrap. Soldered the end grains...had them made at the john deere dealer. Very nice.

Jomax

Reaction score
Oriellys has a sweet battery cable upgrade for the positive for like 87bucks. Worth every penny

bruce

Reaction score
I ran the autozone one for like 5 years until I sold it. They're all junk, might as well get one with a decent warranty. pretty much the easiest thing under the hood to replace.

Arisley

Reaction score
Oriellys has a sweet battery cable upgrade for the positive for like 87bucks. Worth every penny

You have to find somebody that knows what those books are for that are behind them though. Special order. I have the same cable, it was a perfect fit.

goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
3051cbbffb76f93bb9d60e3dd3c8f2fe.jpg

d326310aacaae57166cf86e20c5d3b95.jpg

e8148eb2b6d945adb0044787638de719.jpg

1bd4d333bae55ebaa445277905d72407.jpg

It is tight between the rear positive stud to the CAC pipe. The stud cover is imperative. Got mine from delcity.com. My CAC blew off the first time out with it and the fuse blew. I was my fault because I was a wuss and didn't tighten the clamps. I have since added a clamp so no more pipes blowing off. It's also close to the upper radiator hose, but doesn't touch. If you were to use the factory through the belt hose, there would be no worries.

The welding cable was free.
The lugs were ~$10
Fuse and holder were $10
The longer mounting bolts were free.
Napa belt was ~$40. Part# 081223
Alternator was $210. Motorcraft part# GL360

Jomax

Reaction score
You have to find somebody that knows what those books are for that are behind them though. Special order. I have the same cable, it was a perfect fit.

Luckily quite a few local stores keep them on hands in AZ.

But you're right, no one there knows they exist. The told me to go look in the isle next to the batteries with those small cables LOL. Told them it wouldn't fit there

Jomax

Reaction score
3051cbbffb76f93bb9d60e3dd3c8f2fe.jpg

d326310aacaae57166cf86e20c5d3b95.jpg

e8148eb2b6d945adb0044787638de719.jpg

1bd4d333bae55ebaa445277905d72407.jpg

It is tight between the rear positive stud to the CAC pipe. The stud cover is imperative. Got mine from delcity.com. My CAC blew off the first time out with it and the fuse blew. I was my fault because I was a wuss and didn't tighten the clamps. I have since added a clamp so no more pipes blowing off. It's also close to the upper radiator hose, but doesn't touch. If you were to use the factory through the belt hose, there would be no worries.

The welding cable was free.
The lugs were ~$10
Fuse and holder were $10
The longer mounting bolts were free.
Napa belt was ~$40. Part# 081223
Alternator was $210. Motorcraft part# GL360

Buddy is running one. Says it hits 15volts sometimes. Doesn't that kill things?

goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
I've seen it get that high. 14.4 is the highest. It's the amps is what makes it powerful. The voltage is controlled by the internal regulator.

But that is not why I put this alternator on. It's the reliability the alternator promises. I just need the truck to work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.