Resurgence of a F100

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I cant argue with wanting that sound. I've never run exhaust like that, so I don't know the difference. Might try it some time for chits and giggles.
the shorter it is or the bigger around the louder they are!!
I like the black header paint Jake suggested. You could always try it first and then switch over to a small chrome tip.
good idea!! can always cover it with a tip.. and honestly, a cheap flat black from walmart would work just to see ir anything black that is laying around..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I have a half can of flat black header paint left over from doing, well, the headers I couldn't use. It's just paint right....

Got a vacuum gauge this afternoon. Figured I'd check my idle mixture screws and see how it all looked. Out of the box they had them set about one turn out. Well, gauge hooked up, that's where I got my highest vacuum at idle. Backing them out, or screwing them in showed a drop, so those look to be set close. I will admit though, after adjusting the accelerator pump the other day, and driving it some since, that made a definite difference in drivability. Took away the stumble off idle and it just feels stronger. So I'm making baby steps I think. I'm like you guys though....jets are where I'm going to see my biggest difference I think. Checked timing again just to double check myself, and I'm about 9 degrees at idle. Thought I had it set at 10....must have moved slightly when I snugged the hold down bolt.

It still smells rich at idle. Just working around it idling my shirt smells of exhaust pretty heavily. I'm going to pull a plug here once it cools down and see what it looks like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yep, still a bit rich. Granted all its done today is idled with the occasional Rev up.

518a349bad663ad71baa96e46f9cff36.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yep, still a bit rich. Granted all its done today is idled with the occasional Rev up.

518a349bad663ad71baa96e46f9cff36.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Just get one of those air/fuel gauges like I posted. I'm almost positive it will be money well spent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
I have a half can of flat black header paint left over from doing, well, the headers I couldn't use. It's just paint right....

Got a vacuum gauge this afternoon. Figured I'd check my idle mixture screws and see how it all looked. Out of the box they had them set about one turn out. Well, gauge hooked up, that's where I got my highest vacuum at idle. Backing them out, or screwing them in showed a drop, so those look to be set close. I will admit though, after adjusting the accelerator pump the other day, and driving it some since, that made a definite difference in drivability. Took away the stumble off idle and it just feels stronger. So I'm making baby steps I think. I'm like you guys though....jets are where I'm going to see my biggest difference I think. Checked timing again just to double check myself, and I'm about 9 degrees at idle. Thought I had it set at 10....must have moved slightly when I snugged the hold down bolt.

It still smells rich at idle. Just working around it idling my shirt smells of exhaust pretty heavily. I'm going to pull a plug here once it cools down and see what it looks like.

You can spend hours tuning a carb.....

But once it's dialed in, hold on, lol!
Glad to see you making progress. Baby steps.

6speedsd

Reaction score
how does it sound on the street? usually way louder when under load..

Dude, surprisingly, it's quieter than the Magnaflows were when cruising. I was shocked to be honest. Of course she gets vocal when you stand on it, but just cruising its mellow.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Dude, surprisingly, it's quieter than the Magnaflows were when cruising. I was shocked to be honest. Of course she gets vocal when you stand on it, but just cruising its mellow.

no ***in way? quieter?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yup. In cab is quieter (I was expecting the usual drone of a Flowmaster) but there really isn't much. Now, I only drove about 10 miles or so, and was running 55mph, so rpms weren't crazy high. I'll drive it to work maybe Wednesday and see how the drone is at 70 (2700rpms). I really was surprised, considering the mufflers are right under the floor, and I kept it side exit in front of the tires, which isn't that far behind the door. But I also know Flowmaster usually gets louder over time, so we shall see.

I'm in love with the sound at idle though. That's about 550-600 rpms at idle, and wasn't fully up to temp. Once I got back you could hear that choppy cam lope...slightly anyways. Cam isn't that aggressive, but it's enough.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Sounds bad azz! I sure do miss that Flowmaster sound. I forget, what size exhaust you running?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yup. In cab is quieter (I was expecting the usual drone of a Flowmaster) but there really isn't much. Now, I only drove about 10 miles or so, and was running 55mph, so rpms weren't crazy high. I'll drive it to work maybe Wednesday and see how the drone is at 70 (2700rpms). I really was surprised, considering the mufflers are right under the floor, and I kept it side exit in front of the tires, which isn't that far behind the door. But I also know Flowmaster usually gets louder over time, so we shall see.

I'm in love with the sound at idle though. That's about 550-600 rpms at idle, and wasn't fully up to temp. Once I got back you could hear that choppy cam lope...slightly anyways. Cam isn't that aggressive, but it's enough.

thats awesome !! I would have figured that it would be extremely loud in cab even..

Members online

No members online now.