Rigid Lights

Snake

Reaction score
I believe they are the same quality, same light output. I OWN BOTH!!! They look the exact same, but I paid 1/3 the price for the exact same thing. Made in Arkansas, USA. Both lifetime warranty, same light output. There is NO difference. Anyone that says different is an idiot that doesn't own both.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LOL

The exact same thing, huh? I wonder how Rigid's patent attorneys would react if they knew that.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
I wonder why the totron Cree bars came out at the exact same time as rigid.. I have mine on my rzr and truck next to rigid setups. so far our totron bars have been as bright and reliable as rigids.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
First off I'm and brand whore. I hit a deer last week at 60mph, broke the tabs that came with the bar and it fell down infront of the truck. Dragged it for almost half a mile before I could find a safe place to pull off and assess the damage. The bar was completely undamaged other than some scraps and scratches. Worth ever dime as far as I'm concerned.

I absolutely love my rigid lights. I have a 20" dual pattern bar, a set of D2 floods, and just installed a set of dually spots. For driving lights I would go with dually spots. They defuse enough at the lens face to light up the ditches and have enough beam focus to light up the road 3-400' in front of the truck.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Moonshinexxx lights.

Where are you getting Moonshinexxx lights being made in the USA? They are Cree lights, which are assembled in USA of foreign made components.
Basically everything is shipped over here from China and a dozen screws are installed holding the case halves together, constituting a 'American Assembled' product.
Also I don't see anything, anywhere, about a lifetime warranty.

Just because both use aluminum housings and poly-carbonate lenses doesn't mean they are the same. You have to take into account the alloys of the aluminum used in the housings, the molecular mass of polycarbonate used in the lenses, as well as what coating is applied to the polycarbonate lenses to ensure scratch resistance.

The 2/3rds cost reduction has to come from somewhere. Only a portion of that comes from sweat-shop labor during manufacturing. The rest comes from inferior materials.

Snake

Reaction score
Where are you getting Moonshinexxx lights being made in the USA? They are Cree lights, which are assembled in USA of foreign made components.
Basically everything is shipped over here from China and a dozen screws are installed holding the case halves together, constituting a 'American Assembled' product.

Just because both use aluminum housings and poly-carbonate lenses doesn't mean they are the same. You have to take into account the alloys of the aluminum used in the housings, the molecular mass of polycarbonate used in the lenses, as well as what coating is applied to the polycarbonate lenses to ensure scratch resistance.

The 2/3rds cost reduction has to come from somewhere. Only a portion of that comes from sweat-shop labor during manufacturing. The rest comes from inferior materials.

Well said

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
To see how the light up the ditch.

head lights
052.JPG
Head lights and Dually driving lights
053.JPG
Head lights, driving lights and light bar. This one is deceiving. Due to the brightness infront of the truck my phone doesn't show how far down the road the pavement is lit. You can identify objects a good 1/4-3/8 of a mile.
054.JPG

ClayStewart

Reaction score
I have had the 40" behind the grille for a while now. Just needed more lights! Added the 40" to the bumper as well as D2's in place of the fogs.

Attachments

• IMG_2745.jpg
    IMG_2745.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 124

ClayStewart

Reaction score
3 bolts holding the tow hook/ bumper mount. Took it off and used a cutoff wheel to cut the tow hooks off flush at the mount. The bar is mounted to the bumper so it comes off with it.

QtrHorse

Reaction score
There are no LED diodes that are made in the USA. There is also no such thing as scratch resistance polycarbonate. Not sure why Rigid is saying that. Cree is one of the best LED's you can buy.

I can't seem to find what LED Rigid uses. That is a red flag for me. Why not list the LED if it is a quality LED?

Rigid also does not state that they have LM79 and LM80 testing which is the standard for LED testing.

Rigid is a good product but lets not kid ourselves about how they are so much better than everyone else. The only thing rigid may have a patent on is the reflector and I highly doubt they designed that themselves. I'm sure they had a reflector/ lens company do that for them like most everyone else does.

08Monster

Reaction score
There are no LED diodes that are made in the USA. There is also no such thing as scratch resistance polycarbonate. Not sure why Rigid is saying that. Cree is one of the best LED's you can buy.

I can't seem to find what LED Rigid uses. That is a red flag for me. Why not list the LED if it is a quality LED?

Rigid also does not state that they have LM79 and LM80 testing which is the standard for LED testing.

Rigid is a good product but lets not kid ourselves about how they are so much better than everyone else. The only thing rigid may have a patent on is the reflector and I highly doubt they designed that themselves. I'm sure they had a reflector/ lens company do that for them like most everyone else does.

Thank you. They aren't that awesome.

Spatel23

Reaction score
I have had the 40" behind the grille for a while now. Just needed more lights! Added the 40" to the bumper as well as D2's in place of the fogs.

Can you elaborate on how you mounted the 40inch in the bumper please.

What did you do with the tow hooks?

Thanks, looks great

eng53ine

Reaction score
3 bolts holding the tow hook/ bumper mount. Took it off and used a cutoff wheel to cut the tow hooks off flush at the mount. The bar is mounted to the bumper so it comes off with it.

I'm guessing their gone

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637,zoodad

backwoodsboy

Reaction score

I don't see anything, anywhere, where Rigid or myself is claiming polycarbonate to be scratch resistant. Polycarbonate by nature has high impact resistance, high light transparency through the visible spectrum, but low scratch resistance, which is why a protective coating is used...like I said in my original post.
Properties of polycarbonate are also impacted directly by the molecular weight. The lower the molecular weight, the easier it is to form (awesome for a company trying to cut manufacturing costs) but at the same time impact resistance and other material properties are diminished.
I don't have any quantitative data on the molecular weights of various polycarbonates used in LED light bars, but I can tell you I've run into enough chit with them that not all lenses are created equal.
Not saying Rigid is the be all end all in nocturnal illumination, as a matter of fact I've got a set of 'Bulldog' 4" light bars on order and am looking into another brand to mount on my trailer, but don't expect a product sold at 1/3 the price to compare in terms of quality...it just aint happening.