romping problem

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
shell rochitta, mobil delvac 1300 and motorcraft 15w40 are the 3 worst oils for a 7.3..

run delo 15w40 or valvoline 15w40.. all oils are switching to the ck4 bs. some just changed the rating to ck4 but left the oil basically the same..

the LE 8700 15w40 oil is just as cheap and jimdawg185 can have it shipped directly to your door with a quick text asking him to send you whatever you need.. LE oils are bad***inass!! I'd go with LE products over anything now!!

how many miles since you swapped injectors?

no school like the old school!!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
I have the delo in it now and that's what ill stick with as im seeing all the oils are doing the change over so theres nothing we can do for the change.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
What I don't get is if I hold it at 1200 rpms it idles great warm or cold but if I use the high idle position warm or cold it will romp like crazy. Not baby romps it shakes the truck like something is drastically changing in the timing or something. I have the adapter for the fuel bowl for a fuel pressure gauge but have no idea what type of gauge to use or what to use to plumb it? Can I use just a mechanical oil pressure gauge and nylon tubing or what should I get?. Id like to make sure the pressure is right and eliminate that item. maybie I used the wrong spring but used the one it called for on the paper when I installed the crossover. It has the hutch and harpoon mods and brand new motorcraft fuel pump but id still like to check it at idle and wot.

psduser1

Reaction score
Any 0-100 psi gage would do, with the appropriate tubing, probably not nylon.
Only looking for 55-65 psi.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
What I don't get is if I hold it at 1200 rpms it idles great warm or cold but if I use the high idle position warm or cold it will romp like crazy. Not baby romps it shakes the truck like something is drastically changing in the timing or something. I have the adapter for the fuel bowl for a fuel pressure gauge but have no idea what type of gauge to use or what to use to plumb it? Can I use just a mechanical oil pressure gauge and nylon tubing or what should I get?. Id like to make sure the pressure is right and eliminate that item. maybie I used the wrong spring but used the one it called for on the paper when I installed the crossover. It has the hutch and harpoon mods and brand new motorcraft fuel pump but id still like to check it at idle and wot.

Mine does the same thing. High idle and the baby romps when warm/hot restarts. When the motor is cold, it's smooth as silk.

I contributing it to tuning. I've been saying it for a while....deviate from stock OEM injectors, you need to be live tuned.

Billy T.
[email protected]

superpsd

Reaction score
Granted every truck is different it's not always just tuning. Several including myself are running 200% nozzles and they smoothly idle like a factory truck without a chip. In fact my daily driven tune has the calibration maps of the areas concerning idle the same as a stock factory calibration. Now unplug the ICP sensor so the PCM sets the default and its a different story it lopes hard.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. High idle and the baby romps when warm/hot restarts. When the motor is cold, it's smooth as silk.

I contributing it to tuning. I've been saying it for a while....deviate from stock OEM injectors, you need to be live tuned.

Billy T.
[email protected]
I been thinking the same thing but one chip with canned tunes did it and this chip with the custom tunes does it also just more. Maybie the canned tunes just didn't give it as much fuel as the customs to make it romp more but also maybie the idle map on the canned tunes are closer to where it should be then the customs?

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Granted every truck is different it's not always just tuning. Several including myself are running 200% nozzles and they smoothly idle like a factory truck without a chip. In fact my daily driven tune has the calibration maps of the areas concerning idle the same as a stock factory calibration. Now unplug the ICP sensor so the PCM sets the default and its a different story it lopes hard.
Mine will change idle a bit when I unplug the icp but not make it romp more. When I unplugged the icp and the oil temp sensor on the top of the hpop res it would idle the same baby romps for about 5 seconds and then shut itself off? Is it supposed to shut the engine off as a safeguard or something?

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
I wish I could find someone around northeast pa that could do a cct and buzz test to rule out injector or injectors. I cant find anyone around here.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I been thinking the same thing but one chip with canned tunes did it and this chip with the custom tunes does it also just more. Maybie the canned tunes just didn't give it as much fuel as the customs to make it romp more but also maybie the idle map on the canned tunes are closer to where it should be then the customs?

IMHO....the custom tunes are still canned. What's so custom about them? To me....custom tunes are live tunes

Have you tried data logging what's going on with your truck? And then sending the data logs to your tuner.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
If I could rule out injectors and O-rings bad Id take it and have live tuned on a dyno knowing it was just tunes. There has to be somewhere here in the northeast that could live tune it. Where I don't know.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Where do you get the AE from? Does it go in your laptop? Id get the ****tin thing already if I knew I would know how to use it.

superpsd

Reaction score
If you have an android device Torque app can datalog and Car Gauge Pro will run CCT and Buzz tests.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Thanks I have the torque app pro I use just have to figure out how to datalog and print it off somehow. I have car gauge pro but my adapter I have wont work for the car gauge for some reason. I think at payday tomorrow ill order the AE with ford enhanced package off a sponsor on here then Ill have the power at my fingertips since I just bought a 1200 dollar laptop last month so instead of just using it for surfing the web and tuning Harleys it will come to great use on the truck and cars I also work on. $389.00 with next day air seems a good price to.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
ok I got a new Bluetooth adapter and car gauge hooks up but for most test it tells me needs OBDLink MX. Even trying to ****** or read all the fault codes. This is the BASF one that everyone says will do buzz and cct but hell I cant even get it to read all fault codes vs those test but anyhow I did do a bit of testing while it was romping more then usual and why I picked these tests I don't know maybie because they had misfire in them lol but this is what it showed,
misfire #4,5,6,and 8, high byte
misfire delta cylinder #3, .05% to 1.6%
misfire delta cylinder #4, 0% to .06%
misfire delta cylinder #5, .03% to 1.0%
misfire delta cylinder #8, 4.0% to 4.8%
injector pressure duty, 25.7 to 26.1
injector pressure, steady 608.11 psi
these were all taken at hot idle. This damn Bluetooth wont do a cct or buzz test and I have no idea what delta and byte means they just had misfire in them so I said what the heck. Do these reading say or mean anything? Could these misfires be from bad uvch as I disturbed them after 5 to 6 years of not being moved? I did do the 50 cent mod to both sides when I put it back together. I don't think this many injectors are going to be bad if these readings are really pointing to misfires and or the baby romps. I could be wrong though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
duty cycle is at 25 to 26 percent?

what cps do you have in it? could be the UVCH has a bad connection for some reason now..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

mandkole

Reaction score
duty cycle is at 25 to 26 percent?

This was my bell ringer.. it appears to have a leak or leaky injs. Most see 12-13% here. The IPR 'gate' needs to be open a bit more to keep up with command. But, it would be good to confirm the power supply with a buzz also.

For me, the VCs would be coming off.