Rough idle shakes when accelerating loss of power

Hickboii

Reaction score
So I haven't posted on here much but I need some help. My wife took the excursion to fill up today and after she filled up the truck immediately started running like crap. 2001 7.3l. It's started ruff and idled pretty ruff when I first got to where she was. I drained the fuel separator but it doesn't seem to have helped much. It still idles a little ruff but when you hit the pedal she really vibrates. I tried driving it down the street and have a real lack of power and lots of vibration. It's got an ate intake and 4" exhaust and that's all for mods. I was thinking it could be an injector but I really don't know. I pulled the connector off the ICP sensor and it's got oil in it so could that be the problem? Why wouldn't the check engine light come on? Any help would be much appreciated.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Check the UVC harness plugs on both sides.

Bad ICP sensor will not cause the symptoms your describing.

Hickboii

Reaction score
Well I'm going to start with the fuel filter and the ICP sensor. The fuel filter looks like crap and thinking about it now I can't remember how many oil changes I've done since I replaced it last. Not good. The ICP is leaking oil into the plug so it needs to be replaced anyway and I'm hoping this will fix the problem. I'll let you know after I get the parts.

Hickboii

Reaction score
You gotta dumb it down a little for me what's a uvc and what does it looks like. Sorry this is all a little new to me it's my first 7.3

David N

Reaction score
You gotta dumb it down a little for me what's a uvc and what does it looks like. Sorry this is all a little new to me it's my first 7.3

UVC Stands for "under valve cover". Its the valve cover gasket, but also has wires that run to the injectors, and glow plugs. Sometimes the connectors and connections become bad, rub into, or just break. They can cause the problems you're describing. Just do a visual inspection of the connections and also wiggle the connections to see if it makes a difference at idle. The connections are midway of the head, on the valley side of the motor. You can't miss them. One per side.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Well I'm going to start with the fuel filter and the ICP sensor. The fuel filter looks like crap and thinking about it now I can't remember how many oil changes I've done since I replaced it last. Not good. The ICP is leaking oil into the plug so it needs to be replaced anyway and I'm hoping this will fix the problem. I'll let you know after I get the parts.

They will not fix your issue... Good to do, but will not fix it.

One on each side...

injgpharness.jpg

CSIPSD

Reaction score
UVC harness, gaskets. Check to make sure none of the plugs are melted or anything else...

After that find someone close to you with Auto Enginuity and have them check it out.

IDM's are pretty tough items...

Hickboii

Reaction score
ok i wiggled the uvc connectors and no change. had a buddy come over he unplugged i icp with the motor running and the idle went down and then leveled out so he said that was good. i changed the fuel filter no change. i'm still thinking bad injector as much as i hate that thought. My buddy is gonna bring a diagnostic machine over tomorrow morning to test the injectors so i will let you guys know. if it does end up being an injector should i change them all? The EX has about 175k on it and i plan to do some more mods, Ive already upgraded the trans billet triple disc torque converter, valve body, shift kit, clutches and friction discs ect. opinions? or maybe i should stick with just trying to figure out whats wrong first huh?

kampy

Reaction score
here's a stupid question for ya, she didn't put gas in it did she? I've seen it happen several times on several different trucks, just verify the simple stuff first.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
ok i wiggled the uvc connectors and no change. had a buddy come over he unplugged i icp with the motor running and the idle went down and then leveled out so he said that was good. i changed the fuel filter no change. i'm still thinking bad injector as much as i hate that thought. My buddy is gonna bring a diagnostic machine over tomorrow morning to test the injectors so i will let you guys know. if it does end up being an injector should i change them all? The EX has about 175k on it and i plan to do some more mods, Ive already upgraded the trans billet triple disc torque converter, valve body, shift kit, clutches and friction discs ect. opinions? or maybe i should stick with just trying to figure out whats wrong first huh?

Sounds like your buddy should stick to something else...

All that means is that the truck went to default ICP maps...

Wiggling the UVC connection means squat.

Pull the valve covers and check them.

Hickboii

Reaction score
here's a stupid question for ya, she didn't put gas in it did she? I've seen it happen several times on several different trucks, just verify the simple stuff first.

No. And I got SCREAMED at for even asking. Haha I checked the cap as well.

Hickboii

Reaction score
Right but at the default ICP maps it still was running like crap sorry i left that out. That would mean the sensor is still good right? How else would you test the ICP, short of replacing it for $170? I wiggled the uvc's cause someone else said to do that. I gues I will probably get into pulling covers and such tomorrow.

Hickboii

Reaction score
Well hooked it up to the scanner today. Ran the buzz test all sounded good. Tried to run a contribution test but the machine kept saying it couldn't communicate. However ran a self test that's increases the oil pressure in the injectors that cleared it up. Now it runs fine. Maybe there was some **** stuck in the oil side of the injector IDK. Gonna run some diesel clean through it. Anybody heard of hot shots secret? It's and additive for the oil. It's supposed to clean all the deposits out of the injector and restore performance. From what I understand it was designed for the 6.0 but is recomended for all ford diesels. Any thoughts.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
What test did you run electonicly that increased the oil pressure?

I run oil in my oil... Works good.

Only additive I would run is Rev-X...

Latest posts