RR fuel system

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
Well started my fuel system build, going to follow basics off of everyone else, just wanted to share, haven't really seen one on this forum.

Picked up Fuel Lab Regulator $133 shipped off of Ebay

Walbro Fuel Pump 100 shipped off of Ebay

Filters and bases from Fleetfilter.com 73 shipped

5/8 pickup tube from Irate $45

Picture of mount for filter bases, on inside of the frame rail. I then made some modifications from my original, came out just about perfect. You can slide the bracket on snug!

2012-04-25_18-49-27_733.png

2012-04-25_19-26-18_977.png

2012-04-25_20-23-27_836.png

2012-04-25_20-31-15_963.png

Going to drop tank tomorrow and go pick up all my fittings and hoses.

I do have question about the pick 5/8 pick up tube and return. I plan on using the factory pickup as the return. What do you do with the sending unit? You don't need to install it on the 5/8 pick up tube do you? I was looking at guzzles photos and got some info off of there, but don't think it will fit on the 5/8's pick up tube. That's basically only question is what to do inside the tank.

TARM

Reaction score
Just do not use sharp street 90s fittings. Make sure to use long sweep 90s. Any of the street angled fittings IMO create turbulence in the fuel and causes free air for forum which is not good for the injectors.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
If I had to do another fuel system, which I hope I'll never do again...

I'd almost certainly go with a sump, and if I did a sump, I'd most likely do Beans sump, so I didn't have to drop the tank.

OSCS

Reaction score
I'd just use the factory return line.. I plugged the factory feed line and left the float and sending unit where it sat. You don't need to attach anything to the 5/8 pick up tube.

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
I'd just use the factory return line.. I plugged the factory feed line and left the float and sending unit where it sat. You don't need to attach anything to the 5/8 pick up tube.

Alright, thanks. That's all I needed to know. Hopefully all goes well and the store has all the parts I need.

TARM

Reaction score
you should not use the factory return line but instead use the factory feed line as the new return and plug the factory return line. Both lines go to the same unit no reason to use the smaller return line when the feed line is right there as well and will keep the pressure that much lower especially running a high vol pump. It will also create that much less foam in the tank as it will be coming in with less pressure. General rule of thumb is match return line size to feed line size. Then you can never exceed inlet pressure on the return. You can get away with less but you do not want to go to much less and in this case there is no need as its no more work. Its already there for you.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
If I had to do another fuel system, which I hope I'll never do again...

I'd almost certainly go with a sump, and if I did a sump, I'd most likely do Beans sump, so I didn't have to drop the tank.

I didn't know beans made a sump like that i would have gotten that one, instead I bought one from alligator so I could put it in without dropping it.. But from looking at them could you not just cut the ring that comes with any of the normal sumps in half and install it without dropping the tank

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yes. All it is is a split ring.

Anyone can cut their ring in half, but for me, it just seems nice to have one solid piece. More uniform clamping and less prone to leak. Not that the split ring design is a bad one, it's a great idea and I'm sure it works fine. But I'm the kind of guy that would rather drop the tank and clean it out, since there's no doubt that the foot is probably rotten and dropping debris everywhere as is...

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Yes. All it is is a split ring.

Anyone can cut their ring in half, but for me, it just seems nice to have one solid piece. More uniform clamping and less prone to leak. Not that the split ring design is a bad one, it's a great idea and I'm sure it works fine. But I'm the kind of guy that would rather drop the tank and clean it out, since there's no doubt that the foot is probably rotten and dropping debris everywhere as is...

Yeah we dropped my tank twice after putting in my fuel system because I had a tiny piece of trash that was hardly even noticeable but it would suck up to the pick up tube and the truck would stumble loose fuel pressure then cut off... We pulled the tank looked around didn't see anything so we put it back and it was still doing it... Bill was still convinced there was something in the tank by what I was telling him it was doing so I dropped it again and lo and behold there was a tiny piece of plastic that was just big enough to suck up to the tube and cause all my problems... After the cleaning I gave my tank that time I think it should be ok with not dropping it now..... As for the split ring my buddy put one of the same style sumps on his dodge and He uses the truck off road and beats on it pretty hard with no leaking so hopefully my truck will have the same results....

Hey by the way jap will you pm me a price on a regulated return for a 7.3? The guy who got my old injectors was wanting to make em last and said he was looking for a RR.... Ok sorry for the derail!

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
Well I got kit all put together, and ready to install, will be putting it on this weekend. Last final today, so finally have time to do so wrenching this weekend. Going to install new 17* HPOP also.

Thanks to Marty for parts list, it really helped out for fittings to heads.

WIESEL

Reaction score
Looks like rain all weekend. So, if you need a hand let me know.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I have Alligators split ring sump, works great no leaks. But I definitely see where a person would prefer a one piece ring. IMO, u can't go wrong with either one, personal preference.

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

dietoremain

Reaction score
I have a DIY fuel system my bud and I put together, of course we had purchased a RR from a company whos name I wont say and changed a few things and made it simpler and that way we can put it on a few of our friends trucks.. worked out nice.

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
Well I got the fuel system installed this past weekend, along with a 38r and a T500. The truck runs amazing!!!! I still need to do some fine tuning with the wastegate or fully close it, I think its opening a little early. Ill try to get some pictures this weekend with it all mounted up. I still need to make a bracket for the fuel regulator.

Latest posts

Members online