RSK planned?

Tom S

Reaction score
Not a real fun job to remove all those frame rivets. I also do not want to mess with the rear hanger as that is the mounting point for my tube steps.

AZStang

Reaction score
Not a real fun job to remove all those frame rivets. I also do not want to mess with the rear hanger as that is the mounting point for my tube steps.

Yeah, I didn't think it would be real fun. Not sure if the difference in ride would be worth it either.

Shawn

NotStock

Reaction score
Tried to outsource to a different company today for cutting. Guy swore the cut would be "near as good as laser", got back the parts and the cut sucks. Has a huge taper to it. A new operating system is on its way for the laser table, tracking shows it will be here on Tues. Installers are scheduled for Wed morn and its suppose to be a 2 hr install. Should have parts getting cut Wed afternoon/evening. Just wanted to update you all that have been patiently waiting. Thanks guys

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Tried to outsource to a different company today for cutting. Guy swore the cut would be "near as good as laser", got back the parts and the cut sucks. Has a huge taper to it. A new operating system is on its way for the laser table, tracking shows it will be here on Tues. Installers are scheduled for Wed morn and its suppose to be a 2 hr install. Should have parts getting cut Wed afternoon/evening. Just wanted to update you all that have been patiently waiting. Thanks guys

"Near as good as laser" - yeah I have heard that one before..... LOL

Tom S

Reaction score
Laser is back online and will be cutting all night. I should have pics for you all tomorrow.

Awesome, I bet you are happy to finally have that up and running. Sounds like someone gets to burn the midnight oil.

NotStock

Reaction score
Awesome, I bet you are happy to finally have that up and running. Sounds like someone gets to burn the midnight oil.

You have no idea. I fuggin hate being at someone elses mercy. Alas, we will finally have what we should of 3 weeks ago...

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying how this thread is progressing. I really like the calm informational tone on here. Hope it stays.
I never did get around to sending what I was working on to Peroni, since it turned out to be virtually exactly what I was working on. I would like to be able to have a front reciever hitch as an option. This kit is going to adress all of the issues I have had with using the SD springs and SKY kit. nice to see SKY is listening too, options are always good.

Tom S

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying how this thread is progressing. I really like the calm informational tone on here. Hope it stays.
I never did get around to sending what I was working on to Peroni, since it turned out to be virtually exactly what I was working on. I would like to be able to have a front reciever hitch as an option. This kit is going to adress all of the issues I have had with using the SD springs and SKY kit. nice to see SKY is listening too, options are always good.

I agree on how more threads should be where it is a team effort.

Reaction score
Speaking of options, I saw a thread titled 2wd drive conversion lately that has me thinking. It was a pretty neat conversion putting a SD leaf spring axle and using all SD brackets, rear hangars and shackles THROUGH THE FRAME. How did this work out? Do SD leaf springs have a different spacing? Or how did he get around the problem with the frame rails not being centered above the rear end of the front springs? The kit we are developing here will be the cleanest SD RSK kit so far but he only remaining issue for me is the rear hangars hanging so low.

NotStock

Reaction score
Speaking of options, I saw a thread titled 2wd drive conversion lately that has me thinking. It was a pretty neat conversion putting a SD leaf spring axle and using all SD brackets, rear hangars and shackles THROUGH THE FRAME. How did this work out? Do SD leaf springs have a different spacing? Or how did he get around the problem with the frame rails not being centered above the rear end of the front springs? The kit we are developing here will be the cleanest SD RSK kit so far but he only remaining issue for me is the rear hangars hanging so low.

A setup could easily be built for a through the frame mount. It would require the factory mount to be removed. By doing so however, you could swap out to SD springs and leave the ride height unaffected. The feedback from this thread and the nation thread sounded like most want a simple bolt on setup with no permanent frame mods.

A reciever center section is definitely going to be an option. I need to see where it falls concerning the factory bumper and desing around that. Again, looking for a bolt on no mods needed setup.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, this is going exactly the way I wanted to go, I was working on it and got some parts made before time became an issue. Now you are doing the work for me and it apears the standards for fit and finish would be what I was shooting for.

I'm just a guy with more time to think than do. What I was curious about with the 2wd conversion thread is how the spring spacing worked out L to R since one of the problems with doing a no lift SD conversion is that the spring to spring width and frame width don't line up so a new solution such as altered spring spacing, offset shackles, or trimming the lower frame flange (which I wouldn't even consider)

I have a lot of pratical experience with frame stress and suspension work. Garbage trucks stress these components more than most other truck aplications due to weight (55 to 57,000 lbs) rough roads, start stop cyles and dumping forces. On a high stress frame I can just about tell you where and why things will break. Weld things the wrong way or drill in the wrong place and yu will stop the flow of stress, conentrating it in one place and causing a fatigue failure. Of course you can get away with a lot on lower stress pickups but not on mine, it has to demontrate what I have learned.

GM

Last edited:

NotStock

Reaction score
I shipped the first kit to Larry since the timing for Tom isnt great and Brad is out of town. Here are some pics for you all that have been so patiently waiting. Let me know what you think!
IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.