RSK planned?

Tom S

Reaction score
I am sure there will be limits on where he can go as the rear hanger is a fixed point that has to have a shackle on it. I think it you area that will define the minimum amount of lift. It looks to me like BigBooper went for quite a bit of lift with his build. Time will tell will tell on the design, I mostly just linked the photos into the thread that way so it was easier to get the jist without going to another site and having another window open.

Oh, I also like how this worked around removing the bumper brackets and then re-welding them onto the RSK. If it came powder coated for instance you can preserve that finish.

Tom

Reaction score
Cary,

If a RSK kit using SD springs and maintaining stock F350 ride height were possible, it would hinge on a design for a through the frame rear shackle. It would require modification to the cab mount, a hole through the frame and a frame mounted tube for the upper shackle bushings. In order to NOT cut the lower frame flange, the shackle would need to be offset with a longer tube on the top and one offset side plate. Easy to dream up, but I'm concerned about uneven wear. With the right design, it might be possible to get a way with only a 1" hole through the frame bolt in or just weld a tube through the hole.

Tom,

My templates are all full size cardboard with several hours of thought and measurement into them. I will have to take pictures of them with dimensions added. I will do that the first day off I get! Oh, and I mistated what Hummer tow loops look like they may work, it is the H2 that has the ones I was thingking about, I believe they are available as a rigging part too.

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
No pressure, I am just into this project as I have a Dana 60 sitting in the garage all ready to go. It is fun to have a mod like this in the works that keeps me thinking.

Dirt_99

Reaction score
With the SKY kit, I like the added lift that it gives. So a kit that provides the same would be nice IMO. I know that the rear shackle dropped down is an issue that really can't be resolved. I am content with that, I just don't want to cut anything to make it work with SD springs. A clean ready to go product ready to bolt/weld in is what I am going for. No cutting head scratching about placement would be nice also

co04cobra

Reaction score
Tom, I posted over on the other site, but I want to jump in here as well.

Here is info on the SD setup and what I have planned. I hope this kit will work for guys planning setups like this.

Cross bar would be a plus. One that would allow for a IC. The SD trucks 99-00 do not have a cross bar. All 01 up trucks have a cross bar that is bolted through the front using the tow hooks and front spring shackle with the bar bolted to the bottom of the brackets.

Im installing 02 SD axles and springs. The truck also has a IC. I know SKY used a SD adjustable track bar. Also, I WOULD like to have around a 3in lift. SD springs im using are V fronts and B rears with stock 350 SD blocks.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Tom this will work to address the people not wanting to cut the bumper but nothing as far as lowering the truck..thats the problem that IMO isn't going to be resolved and have adequate up travel..which is required for ride quality. Maybe Trevor can come up with a way..I just don't see how..

I've been thinking (dangerous.... I know....) - with setting it up with a bit longer of a hanger and a shackle - could you then change the spring setup to a spring under axle setup - giving you low height, SD springs, an easy to build and install rear shackle, etc.... How bad does that concept screw with the steering, sway bar, track bar, etc? It seems to me that is really the only option to get an RSK setup at stock ride height or so.

NotStock

Reaction score
I've been thinking (dangerous.... I know....) - with setting it up with a bit longer of a hanger and a shackle - could you then change the spring setup to a spring under axle setup - giving you low height, SD springs, an easy to build and install rear shackle, etc.... How bad does that concept screw with the steering, sway bar, track bar, etc? It seems to me that is really the only option to get an RSK setup at stock ride height or so.

Mind you I dont have a truck in front of me to determine if this would work but I would venture to bet you would have clearance issue with your steering draglinks. It is also not as simple as a rear axle, the driverside would require some additional parts to allow you to mount the spring pad since the pumkin in this location.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Mind you I dont have a truck in front of me to determine if this would work but I would venture to bet you would have clearance issue with your steering draglinks. It is also not as simple as a rear axle, the driverside would require some additional parts to allow you to mount the spring pad since the pumkin in this location.

Agreed completely on the extra parts needed for the driverside axle mount - I believe that to be relatively easy for a mass production part assuming they didn't change the housing casting too much.... My concern with the idea is definately the steering - and I haven't crawled under a truck to really eye it up - it was just a passing thought I had.

Tom S

Reaction score

I am OK with a little lift on the front although none would be cool. My guess is that this project will end up with some lift on the front and be just a little less then level with the F350 rear blocks.

Jason, you are so creative. I wish I had the ability to do all the things that you do. I do not have those kind of fab skills.

Reaction score
I have seen shackles like Garbage Mechanic descibed. I think on OLD CJ jeeps. But they are ALOT lighter than these trucks

Edit: here is a link to those shackles http://store.midwestjeepwillys.com/802061.html

Not what I was thinking about, I was thinking about regular shackles with side plates, but the side plates have an offset so that the top bushing is wider than the spring, thus clearing the frame flange. If you try to set something up like the factory 99 up rear hanger which requires cutting off the frame flange (BAD IDEA) you have to come up with something different.

NotStock

Reaction score
Got the measurements today. Now time for some Cad work and beers over the weekend to see what I can come up with. Only a couple spring compression numbers I need to know where to place eyelet holes.

Tom S

Reaction score
Got the measurements today. Now time for some Cad work and beers over the weekend to see what I can come up with. Only a couple spring compression numbers I need to know where to place eyelet holes.

If there is anything I can do to assist on that let me know. The monsoon has finally stopped here so can mess around to do stuff outside.

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score

The whole front end of my truck is stripped and awaiting your new RSK. Iy you need any measurements of the old ORU or the SKY RSK on my other truck, just let me know.

And Trevor, you are going to supply shackles, right?

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

I eyeballed the front of the truck for about 5 minutes on Saturday morning.... I bet if I reamed out the spindles to drop in a tie rod end from the top (bigger tie rod end would be necessary) - there could possibly be plenty of room to pull this concept off....

I am OK with a little lift on the front although none would be cool. My guess is that this project will end up with some lift on the front and be just a little less then level with the F350 rear blocks.

Jason, you are so creative. I wish I had the ability to do all the things that you do. I do not have those kind of fab skills.

Thanks Tom. I wish I had the time to see all of my ideas through to fruition - as it stands right now I have to pick an choose - and although I think a spring under swap for an RSK on an OBS would be perfect to keep a stock or lower than stock ride height - I really doubt I do anything more than some hand waving. There is just not enough hours in the day.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think Trevor is getting alot closer on the design. We were back and forth last night getting him some measurements he needed. I just traced out a SD spring eye with the odd shaped military wrap end. I am looking forward to this.

Tom

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Yes. I am Getting IMPATIENT:doh:. I got laid off yesterday and I need to get my truck back together so I can get it out of the garage ad start 9 other projects

Tom S

Reaction score
Yes. I am Getting IMPATIENT:doh:. I got laid off yesterday and I need to get my truck back together so I can get it out of the garage ad start 9 other projects

Have a few peices to finish, and I had been trying to source some bushings for the rear hangers. I talked with my supplier yesterday on those and I think I have some sorted out there. Drop trackbar bracket needs to be designed still. I will have a proto type finished and ready to test fitting next week. If it fits, I can have complete, powdercoated kits ready to ship by the following week.

In regard to an estimated cost:

Not entirely certain, Im doing everything I can to keep the price point as low as possible. I know current kits are in the $300 area raw. I would like to keep it under $350 including the full replacement drop track bar bracket. Options will include powdercoat, tow hook mounts (all hangers will have provisions to mount them), and lift hangers.

Also, since it had previously been a big point of interest, its looking like I will be able to keep this to about a 2" lift without having to notch the bumper. We will offer other kits that have a 3", 4", and 5" version for the guys that want a lift.

Nice to hear this is moving along nicely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online