s475/84 400/400's boost/drive

Marty

Reaction score
Specs:

Bullseye comp 475 with 83 exhaust wheel and 1.0 t4 divided.
Swamps 400/400s
Standard supporting kids
Boost measured at intake y.
Drive pressure measured at end of ebp sensor tube.
Stock engine and heads.
Irate 44mm wastegate turbo mount.
Swamps tuning.

Drag4e pmt1

52 psi boost logged, 64 psi drive pressure, egts at or below 1450, boost regulator limits feed to gate at 34 psi, 26 psi spring in it. Usually see 50-51 psi boost. All boost/drive/egt numbers were highest recorded but repeatable within 1-2% Everytime.

Thoughts?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Sounds good Marty. Im considering throwing the 475 wheel on my 471. Hows spool up ?

With my 250/200s and the s471 I was seeing 41-42lbs boost to 54-55lbs BP WOT on matts drag tune.

Marty

Reaction score
If you want it to pull hard.... you need at least 2200 rpms, a start from 2400 is much better. If you want to putt putt around you can do so at 1600-1800 smoke free and with a slight haze bring it along as fast as a stock chipped 7.3 in the daily or street tune.

Last edited:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
You think 250/200s would be enough fuel to benefit using the s475 ? My two gripes would be leaving some fuel left over for nitrous, And towing

Marty

Reaction score
IMAG2431.jpg

IMAG2456.jpg

IMAG2457.jpg

Beans71086

Reaction score
Had a chance to ride in the platinum last night and it pulls HARD! It'll definitly give my race tuned 6.4 a run for its money and I'm pretty sure he was still in his hot street tune! It's alot less smokey than I expected also, don't get me wrong it'll make some smoke when your on the skinny. But if you use some sense it's daily drivable no problem.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Honestly - I would like to see a back to back comparison with just a swap to the 87mm turbine wheel - personally I think its a better wheel and don't believe you would have any area suffering by making the swap and pick up some top end as well as reducing back pressure - BUT I have never done a back to back test with that being the only difference. I'm getting ready to put together a set of compounds for a guy and plan on using the 87mm turbine wheel in the high pressure charger.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Honestly - I would like to see a back to back comparison with just a swap to the 87mm turbine wheel - personally I think its a better wheel and don't believe you would have any area suffering by making the swap and pick up some top end as well as reducing back pressure - BUT I have never done a back to back test with that being the only difference. I'm getting ready to put together a set of compounds for a guy and plan on using the 87mm turbine wheel in the high pressure charger.

What size Turbine housing are you going to go with??

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Nice to see youre cleaning up some of that mess you had under your hood for the longest time...

I think you should do some back to back runs some with the air filter off. That standard paper media is a big restriction under higher boost levels i guarantee you'll pick up some more PSI just from that. Look into putting twin filters for cheap or put a big expensive single one in its place.

For the wastegate i think using air instead of the mechanical spring is the best way to go about it. I know its a bitch to get to it to take it off, but i would recommend putting the 10psi spring in it, putting unregulated manifold pressure to the bottom, and regulated boost to the top. Put the regulator to shop air and set it at 50psi (thats all that you'll have pushing on the top of the diaphragm) and begin tweaking it a 1/8 or so turn either way until you are happiest with it. Who is tuning it?

Marty

Reaction score

I used to run the 87 wheel in the T4i housing. This turbine is more driveable then that turbo was, but the power difference is also noticeable top end.

With that being said, the 87mm wheel according to Forced inductions isn't put in the T4 anymore. Has to do with it causing the casting to be too thin and cracking.

I do know there are guys out there that have a turbo setup like that ie: Craig Briggs.

Personally I'd like the try the wheel forced inductions says will flow more then that wheel anyway... it's supposed to be a 92/82 wheel that mimics the GT-47 wheel. IDK, but with how driveable this is, a larger turbine is definitely ok with me.

What size Turbine housing are you going to go with??

I'm assuming you're asking that based on HRT's comment. IDK if you're thinking along the same lines as in the T4 housing has a cracking issue with the 87 turbine or not. But I assume you are. If you are asking me... I'm staying with what I have for now. Kind of up in the air (lol) about what to do next.

Had a chance to ride in the platinum last night and it pulls HARD! It'll definitly give my race tuned 6.4 a run for its money and I'm pretty sure he was still in his hot street tune! It's alot less smokey than I expected also, don't get me wrong it'll make some smoke when your on the skinny. But if you use some sense it's daily drivable no problem.

The wastegate is opening in both tunes so the difference between the two tunes is pretty much negligable.

Nice to see youre cleaning up some of that mess you had under your hood for the longest time...

I think you should do some back to back runs some with the air filter off. That standard paper media is a big restriction under higher boost levels i guarantee you'll pick up some more PSI just from that. Look into putting twin filters for cheap or put a big expensive single one in its place.

For the wastegate i think using air instead of the mechanical spring is the best way to go about it. I know its a bitch to get to it to take it off, but i would recommend putting the 10psi spring in it, putting unregulated manifold pressure to the bottom, and regulated boost to the top. Put the regulator to shop air and set it at 50psi (thats all that you'll have pushing on the top of the diaphragm) and begin tweaking it a 1/8 or so turn either way until you are happiest with it. Who is tuning it?

Running with or without the air filter shouldn't matter as the wastegate is limiting boost/drive, correct?

On my previous setup, I ran with and without a paper filter at the track. The difference was only a couple of PSI and that was on an unwastegated setup - 60-63 psi if I recall correctly. I don't recall any drive numbers so that's why I'm starting threads like this with actual data logged.

At any rate it wouldn't take but two seconds to take that filter off and try what you're speaking of.

Swamps tuning. The wastegate is staying as is.

What's everybody think about the boost/drive ratio? 50:60 basically so 1.2:1.

At 40 psi it's still 1:1.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I used to run the 87 wheel in the T4i housing. This turbine is more driveable then that turbo was, but the power difference is also noticeable top end.

With that being said, the 87mm wheel according to Forced inductions isn't put in the T4 anymore. Has to do with it causing the casting to be too thin and cracking.

I do know there are guys out there that have a turbo setup like that ie: Craig Briggs.

Personally I'd like the try the wheel forced inductions says will flow more then that wheel anyway... it's supposed to be a 92/82 wheel that mimics the GT-47 wheel. IDK, but with how driveable this is, a larger turbine is definitely ok with me.

What's everybody think about the boost/drive ratio? 50:60 basically so 1.2:1.

At 40 psi it's still 1:1.

I can believe that the T4 housing is more drivable than the T4i - I don't really care for the T4i setups as I do think they hurt spool-up quite. It always seems that anyone that goes from the T4i setup to a T4 likes the T4 a lot better.

I had not heard that the 87mm turbine wheels with T4 housings were cracking.... interesting.

You must be talking about the TM1 turbine wheel? Or a different one? I thought that one was only available in T6? I need to call and do some talking anyway as I need to order some turbos - this setup I'm building for a guy is a bit complicated, but I don't want to get into that here - there will be a thread when the time comes.

I actually prefer a bit more drive than boost - 1.2:1 is what I shoot for in sled pulling apps - if you get to 1:1 or lower than typically you snuff out the charger at the big end of the track instead of spinning out - mostly because you don't have enough shat power being transmitted through the turbo to keep the compressor compressing air and it stalls out.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I actually prefer a bit more drive than boost - 1.2:1 is what I shoot for in sled pulling apps - if you get to 1:1 or lower than typically you snuff out the charger at the big end of the track instead of spinning out - mostly because you don't have enough shat power being transmitted through the turbo to keep the compressor compressing air and it stalls out.

I think I've accidentally discovered that same thing. When I bumped up in injectors on the old engine I lost the nice 1:1 I'd had previously. But, I rarely snuffed on the big end of the track after that either.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I'm glad to see someone posting a couple threads like this and the other with the 250/100s w/ a s465. Its a good reference for people like me that are trying to decide which combinations will be more promising then the next. Especially considering these are logged numbers and not just a ball park guess at what setup is doing what.
The numbers this setup is revealing seem to be very nice, just like the numbers from your other thread I mentioned above. They seem rather promising as far as, holding together the bottom half of the engine as well.
Also thats a good point Jason made about boost:backpressure ratio, and running 1.2:1 vs. 1:1 that I hadn't thought of.

Sounds good Marty. Im considering throwing the 475 wheel on my 471. Hows spool up ?

With my 250/200s and the s471 I was seeing 41-42lbs boost to 54-55lbs BP WOT on matts drag tune.

On a side note what kind of temperatures are you seeing with you current injector/ turbo combo?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Does Marty's Diesel & Repair not own a grinder? I can donate if need be LOL

looks good, other then that air filter. You should really consider stepping up to something else. AFE, anything... It doesn't flow near enough to keep that turbo happy. Shoot, sometimes the AFE 5r filters don't flow enough even. I know you probably lose the filter at the track but for any DD use with a heavy foot, it really should have something better, IMO

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Trailer, in my tow tune with 7-8k trailer WOT from 40-65 mph didn't crack 1200*

Cruising in my DD or drag tune tc locked at 55-75 mph is about 8-900* tc unlocked they are lower.

Right now I have a large boost leak, I pulled the whole piping system apart and found the o ring for the v band adapter on the compressor housing was MIA. Does anyone know if the make a steel version so I can weld it to my cold side pipe, the only v band adapters for the gt42 style turbos are 6061 aluminum. And have the o ring.

Cota

Reaction score
I used a steel one for my GT4294r and welded it to the IC tube to eliminate the boot.

Marty

Reaction score
Spoke to Craig, he can get me a 75/88 t4. So looks like I might be going that route. Idk, will be on down the road a little bit.

I am going to do boost/drive/egt comparisons with and without a filter on both of these setups to see what the differences are. I don't recall there being a big difference between filter on/off so I'd like to actually data log it and put it to bed.

What filters are you guys (Kris/Steve) suggesting? Jake mentioned using AFE big boost filters.

Last edited:

bigjake0524

Reaction score
I was gonna order one, but why does the aluminum one have an o ring ? All the steel v band pieces don't ?

The steel flanges for the 42's and 400's still have the o-ring. they are made to have a 3" tube slide inside of them.

Looks good Marty!

Are you using the van valve cover on those for extra clearance into the compressor cover?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.