seafoam....

aruss0311

Reaction score
I've read a bunch and no I'm not planning on putting seafoam into the engine. I was wondering if there was anything I could put into the intake side to see if I have a boost leak. I do not have access to an air compressor so I can not pressure test and listen for a leak. Any help or suggestions.

78f100

Reaction score
I heard of a guy with a dmax pouring seafoam in the intake tube. It ran away and ruined the engine. A mechanic I know replaced the engine for him, guy said he poured a whole can in the intake tube. When he started it she revved to the limiter and stayed there till it came apart. I would not use it in the intake side.

78f100

Reaction score
Dmax owner made his engine receive the Darwin award that should have went to him...

Yes you are right.. Just didn't want to talk too bad about him. The mechanic friend of mine told him it wouldn't hurt to try some seafoam, he meant in the tank...LOL

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Yes you are right.. Just didn't want to talk too bad about him. The mechanic friend of mine told him it wouldn't hurt to try some seafoam, he meant in the tank...LOL

I watched a "UTI graduate" destroy a LMM with carb cleaner a few years ago.
Truck came in for an oil change and 'free 80 point inspection'.
Tech noticed the customers air filter was dirty, and proceeded to clean said filter with an entire can of carb cleaner, while the truck was off. :wtf:
Truck redlined on startup and stayed that way until rod #7 had enough.

aruss0311

Reaction score
I heard of a guy with a dmax pouring seafoam in the intake tube. It ran away and ruined the engine. A mechanic I know replaced the engine for him, guy said he poured a whole can in the intake tube. When he started it she revved to the limiter and stayed there till it came apart. I would not use it in the intake side.

Did you not read what I posted? . I said I was not going to use sea foam

mustube

Reaction score
In his defense, you could have titled the thread something more appropriate than the name of a product you don't want to use and which has nothing to do with what you are looking for help with.

78f100

Reaction score

Did you not read what I posted? . I said I was not going to use sea foam

I took it as you wouldn't use it in the actual engine, like in the oil as a treatment. But you were considering using it to somehow test for leaks or something. I can't see how sea foam would be useful at all for testing for a boost leak. I couldn't really make out what you were planning on doing with it, just letting you know it was a bad idea to use it in the intake side. Wasn't implying you don't know what your doing or anything. The best and only real way I know is with air but you said you can't get a compressor. Maybe you can build a pressure tester with a pipe plug, air fitting, and a fernco like I did and borrow someone's compressor. It's pretty easy to make one.

aruss0311

Reaction score
I took it as you wouldn't use it in the actual engine, like in the oil as a treatment. But you were considering using it to somehow test for leaks or something. I can't see how sea foam would be useful at all for testing for a boost leak. I couldn't really make out what you were planning on doing with it, just letting you know it was a bad idea to use it in the intake side. Wasn't implying you don't know what your doing or anything. The best and only real way I know is with air but you said you can't get a compressor. Maybe you can build a pressure tester with a pipe plug, air fitting, and a fernco like I did and borrow someone's compressor. It's pretty easy to make one.

ive used sea foam on a gas car i smokes and shows u were the leak is. just like a smoker. i dont have any access to any compressor unless i went to a gas station and took over the air for tires lol. im just trying to figure out if theres any other way i could test for a boost leak. or vacum leak for that matter

Radioflyer

Reaction score
With what's stated before, I wouldn't pour any liquid that's petroleum based into the intake or engine of a diesel..seafoam or not...or else your going to have a major issues like the guy who did it with the seafom in his dmax. Other then a smoke machine or building a leak tester (since you don't have a compressor at access), good-ole soapy water and spray bottle and spray around the couplers, turbo, charge pipes, etc. and have someone rev it and see. And for exhaust leaks, check for black smoke marks on the fire wall or in the surrounding area.

I know you stated before your not going to use seafoam, but again I wouldnt put any type of liquid in to the engine...more than likely something is going to cause problems. There's yet of anything i've seen on the market that would be or is considered to be a viable source for a diesel engine.

Last edited:

mustube

Reaction score
ive used sea foam on a gas car i smokes and shows u were the leak is. just like a smoker. i dont have any access to any compressor unless i went to a gas station and took over the air for tires lol. im just trying to figure out if theres any other way i could test for a boost leak. or vacum leak for that matter

Seafoam does not smoke in the intake, and will not come out of any vacuum leaks you have in the intake side of a gas motor. Period. The white smoke comes from burning carbon deposits and Seafoam, and the intake side is a vacuum system, it will suck in from a leak, not push anything out while it is running.

Buy or build a leak detector and take it to the gas station and use their air.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Seafoam does not smoke in the intake, and will not come out of any vacuum leaks you have in the intake side of a gas motor. Period. The white smoke comes from burning carbon deposits and Seafoam, and the intake side is a vacuum system, it will suck in from a leak, not push anything out while it is running.

Buy or build a leak detector and take it to the gas station and use their air.

whs^

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.