Secondary cooling system puking from overflow hose

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Basically something happened within the last 2 months. I'm just trying to figure out if a factory cac will last towing with my setup, or if it will blow as well. Or if in 2 years another factory one will leak.

Jomax

Reaction score
Basically something happened within the last 2 months. I'm just trying to figure out if a factory cac will last towing with my setup, or if it will blow as well. Or if in 2 years another factory one will leak.

Ford won't find the leak without heating up the CAC(I used my electric oven and got it to 150degrees )that's when mine started to make bubbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Ford won't find the leak without heating up the CAC(I used my electric oven and got it to 150degrees )that's when mine started to make bubbles.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
So, ran the truck hard this weekend and got the secondary to puke AGAIN. I think I got the CAC to leak again. I guess the factory CAC can't take sustained high psi (high 30s)

OR my thermostats aren't working? I'm thinking the CAC is leaking again though, it stopped puking towing after I installed the new CAC. Will keep you guys posted.

Pull the left side thermostat from the secondary cooling system radiator and let me know what you find.

I pulled mine after the first time it did it and it was stuck open, I removed it after some advice telling me that removing it would help. Now I am wondering if its OVER cooling in the radiator meaning it doesn't stay in the radiator long enough to actually cool the coolant down. Mine still pukes after a cooler swap, its now found its happy place like a 6.0 LOl but its way lower in the degas bottle.

O&G

Reaction score
I've built and raced a number of Nissan Z cars over the past 15 years. We use a coolant breather system to remedy these problems with a lot of success.

greedy_zps0m1atrjz.jpg

https://conceptzperformance.com/gre...type-n-fits-most-japanese-vehicles_p_8682.php

As far as aftermarket radiators, I always preferred CSF and ran them in two of my cars with great results. Plus they're made in the USA and not some cheap crap like Mishimoto made in Chinese slave camps. I've heard nightmare stories about their cheap thermostat's failing and causing thousands in engine damage on subarus, nissans, etc... I had one fail on my 350Z many years ago. I'm actually sad to see they made their way into this market.

CSF press release on superduty radiators:
http://csfimports.com/the-only-oe-style-ford-super-duty-radiator/

stacked6.7

Reaction score
I've built and raced a number of Nissan Z cars over the past 15 years. We use a coolant breather system to remedy these problems with a lot of success.

greedy_zps0m1atrjz.jpg

https://conceptzperformance.com/gre...type-n-fits-most-japanese-vehicles_p_8682.php

As far as aftermarket radiators, I always preferred CSF and ran them in two of my cars with great results. Plus they're made in the USA and not some cheap crap like Mishimoto made in Chinese slave camps. I've heard nightmare stories about their cheap thermostat's failing and causing thousands in engine damage on subarus, nissans, etc... I had one fail on my 350Z many years ago. I'm actually sad to see they made their way into this market.

CSF press release on superduty radiators:
http://csfimports.com/the-only-oe-style-ford-super-duty-radiator/

I thought the issue we are having is with the intercooler? If they are leaking from factory defects or from high boost pressure I'm not sure a breather is the best answer.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought the issue we are having is with the intercooler? If they are leaking from factory defects or from high boost pressure I'm not sure a breather is the best answer.

i'll hook you up if its a direction you want to go. i know you'll test it proper .

O&G

Reaction score

I read number of comments about air bubbles in the system, radiators and the fact that you are running more boost and straining the stock system, which lead me to my reply. The breather tank moves the hot and cool liquid through the system way more efficiently.

Jomax

Reaction score
I read number of comments about air bubbles in the system, radiators and the fact that you are running more boost and straining the stock system, which lead me to my reply. The breather tank moves the hot and cool liquid through the system way more efficiently.

If we have the case of it overheating, this will work perfectly, I've thought of a catch can type deal. Thanks!

I think mine is overheating. I'll have to check the CAC and check back. Been too busy to test it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone else checked the thermostat yet? I have a new one on the way and a long tow for the holiday weekend so I'll know if it helped or not.

Jomax

Reaction score
Anyone else checked the thermostat yet? I have a new one on the way and a long tow for the holiday weekend so I'll know if it helped or not.

I have not, been swamped with work.
Let us know how to goes though!

Jomax

Reaction score
So just found out we do have a temp sensor in our secondary, it's the sensor connected to the hose that you usually replace with that 3/4in heater hose towards the nipple on the radiator. I disconnected mine but will be putting it back.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
just an update. I put in a new thermostat, it looks the same as what I originally pulled out, there is a gap at the bottom so I assume they do that for a reason? Ill try and post some pictures of what I'm talking about.

The other thing is the secondary cooling system only holds about a gallon of coolant, I am wondering if when you remove the egr cooler if that doesn't effect the capacity of the cooling system some? Im thinking about adding a tank or something where the EGR cooler was to add a few quarts to the system and maybe act as a heat sink as well.

Jomax

Reaction score
just an update. I put in a new thermostat, it looks the same as what I originally pulled out, there is a gap at the bottom so I assume they do that for a reason? Ill try and post some pictures of what I'm talking about.

The other thing is the secondary cooling system only holds about a gallon of coolant, I am wondering if when you remove the egr cooler if that doesn't effect the capacity of the cooling system some? Im thinking about adding a tank or something where the EGR cooler was to add a few quarts to the system and maybe act as a heat sink as well.

I've thought about that as well. And also going to Evans waterless coolant. Maybe that would help?

dcswetman

Reaction score

Mike should make a nice one to match his coolant tank for the primary that is connected to the passenger side battery. :poke:

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
If you're going to add capacity it may as well be in the form of an additional heat exchanger

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk