Secondary cooling system puking from overflow hose

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If you're going to add capacity it may as well be in the form of an additional heat exchanger

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah I agree, even block style or something would be ok. I was thinking that the factory EGR location would be easy spot to place it. I was looking at the original coolant system drawing trying to understand. looks to me like there should be more than one gallon in that radiator alone but maybe I'm wrong.

I bet 1.25 gallons is all I put back in last night after draining. and when I pulled the thermostat I only got a splash of coolant out not another gallon or anything so I know the system was empty.

I attached the original picture of the thermostat I pulled and the gap is huge so I am sure it was stuck open. the new one I had didn't seal against the base tight but there was not much of a gap so maybe I will see a difference with this new thermostat.

The thing that has me thinking that the system doesn't have enough capacity is when I pull long his 6% for 5 miles the egts slowly creep up. I bet if there was more fluid in the system to absorb the heat that wouldn't happen. Ill let you guys know how it does this weekend.

Attachments

• 828.JPG
    828.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
The capacity is 1.4gallons IIRC.

I'll be swapping to Evans waterless coolant, it's supposed to take the heat better and might just be enough for those times it overheats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The capacity is 1.4gallons IIRC.

I'll be swapping to Evans waterless coolant, it's supposed to take the heat better and might just be enough for those times it overheats.

So I would say the capacity of the coolers (fuel, intercooler, transmission, egr) add up to the 1.4. I got just over a gallon in it. like 1.1 gallons if I had to guess.

Jomax

Reaction score
Evans is a good idea anyway at least it wont boil off a quart if it does get hot.

That's the plan when I can get some time... Something I currently don't seem to have. Since it puked again after the new CAC, I've driven it 3,000miles and it hasn't puked, so I don't think my CAC is leaking again . I also haven't topped off the coolant, but the trans temp is still perfect. Maybe that's helping?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The thermostat didn't seem to change the performance of the after cooler on my truck. on big 6% long pulls I can get the EGTs over 1250 and have to back out to about 62 mph towing my 5th wheel that weighs about 11k and is like pulling a parachute. I average 8.5 mpg with this new camper.

I need to get some coolant probes in the system and see if the coolant temp starts to rise and that's what causes the EGTs to go up or if I need to adjust the tuning and make more boost to help cool the egts. Either way I think my truck should be performing better than it is.

Killer chiller has a A/C ran water cooler that looks similar to an oil cooler that might be a good option to put in front of the CAC to help with intake temps.

Jomax

Reaction score
The thermostat didn't seem to change the performance of the after cooler on my truck. on big 6% long pulls I can get the EGTs over 1250 and have to back out to about 62 mph towing my 5th wheel that weighs about 11k and is like pulling a parachute. I average 8.5 mpg with this new camper.

I need to get some coolant probes in the system and see if the coolant temp starts to rise and that's what causes the EGTs to go up or if I need to adjust the tuning and make more boost to help cool the egts. Either way I think my truck should be performing better than it is.

Killer chiller has a A/C ran water cooler that looks similar to an oil cooler that might be a good option to put in front of the CAC to help with intake temps.

So you tap into your A/C for the killer chiller? I need to re installed my coolant temp probe and see what it's doing.

Thanks for the update.

Bullet 21

Reaction score
Do you guys that are puking happen to be ******d with the E G R still in place?

My truck started puking out of the secondary overflow but once I removed the cooler completely it stopped puking.

Jomax

Reaction score
Do you guys that are puking happen to be ******d with the E G R still in place?

My truck started puking out of the secondary overflow but once I removed the cooler completely it stopped puking.

I'm completely removed.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
I got my intercooler from No Limit installed today. Hopefully that takes care of my coolant issue. Definitely a well made product.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Well after driving around today and towing my uncles F250 around some back roads and hills I can say Mikes intercooler fixed my issue. No more coolant puking out. I'll know more after next week if I see any increase in fuel mileage. I did notice a slight drop in EGTs.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Well after driving around today and towing my uncles F250 around some back roads and hills I can say Mikes intercooler fixed my issue. No more coolant puking out. I'll know more after next week if I see any increase in fuel mileage. I did notice a slight drop in EGTs.
Do you monitor your CAC temps?It would be interesting too see if there is a drop.I never monitored my temps before I put the NO-Limit cac on,would like to know the difference.I love the craftmanship

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

typically what we see is slight drop 35-50* in max egt , and a bit of throttle response / torque gain, i think when driven like a grandma you could see up to 1 mpg . it really shows it's value when towing .

stacked6.7

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if my intake is limiting the effects of the intercooler. I think soon I'll fab up a 5" tube with a bigger filter and see if I gain anything.

Jomax

Reaction score
So, towing 14k from CA in the heat, no puking.

Unloaded and ran it WOT sustained. It puked...

Mishimoto

Reaction score
I've built and raced a number of Nissan Z cars over the past 15 years. We use a coolant breather system to remedy these problems with a lot of success.

greedy_zps0m1atrjz.jpg

https://conceptzperformance.com/gre...type-n-fits-most-japanese-vehicles_p_8682.php

As far as aftermarket radiators, I always preferred CSF and ran them in two of my cars with great results. Plus they're made in the USA and not some cheap crap like Mishimoto made in Chinese slave camps. I've heard nightmare stories about their cheap thermostat's failing and causing thousands in engine damage on subarus, nissans, etc... I had one fail on my 350Z many years ago. I'm actually sad to see they made their way into this market.

CSF press release on superduty radiators:
http://csfimports.com/the-only-oe-style-ford-super-duty-radiator/

Hey O&G,

Thank you for the post. While I understand your concerns with our products and have had first hand experiences, we also have customers who have never had an issue with our products.

Just to clarify, our products are all designed, and tested right here in the USA at our headquarters. While some of our manufacturing may happen in China, our quality control is done by a Mishimoto employee to ensure the final product is upheld to highest quality standard.

I hope that you had a chance to contact us when the issue happened as we have a very simple and easy Lifetime Warranty process. I apologize for any bad experiences that you may have had and hope we had a chance to make the situation correct and restore your faith in Mihsimoto.

If you ever have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us directly at [email protected]

Best regards,
Mishimoto

Latest posts

Members online