Seriously looking into compounds... Need help tho

Noonman350

Reaction score
I've been really thinking about a small set of compounds... Of like to incorporate my 38r in the set up. What would be my best bet for an atmosphere turbo? An s400? S488? Also... I need advice on plumbing them in, waste gates, mounting ( without deleting the AC ). I know there are a couple threads on this already, I didn't want to take away from the members who started them for themselves. So I thought I'd make one of my own. Id really like some help from someone who has done this on their SD and could really give me some solid help and could help me with a good, reliable set up. Not looking for anything extreme, just something that'd be good all around for towing, street, and racing... Thanks!

907DAVE

Reaction score
There is quite a few pictures of compounded 7.3's floating around here, they might give you an idea of whats involved. I am currently in the process of re-designing my setup, you can see it here--->http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11482

There is a TON of options for your atmo charger, but try and keep it in the 88mm range - and plan on gating both stages.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
88 mil range is a good starting point then you can grow from there if you would like.. BIG gates! Don't be shy with them 60 mil is best in my opinion for the gates

Noonman350

Reaction score
There is quite a few pictures of compounded 7.3's floating around here, they might give you an idea of whats involved. I am currently in the process of re-designing my setup, you can see it here--->http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11482

There is a TON of options for your atmo charger, but try and keep it in the 88mm range - and plan on gating both stages.

So what would be a good atmo? Garrett's are so spendy... That's why I was thinkin like a s400 or s488... And where would I get the wastegates and do I need to pull the engine to set it up?

907DAVE

Reaction score
I am sure there are many others that are more educated than I on other brands/ sizes of turbos's - so I will let them answer.

Google Tial, Precision, Turbonetics, etc for your gates. I am sure there are some vendors around here that could set you up too.

No need to pull the motor to fab a set of compounds, but pulling the cab would simplify the process a bit - but absolutely no reason you need to. The only hard part on my setup was fabricating the down pipe as it drops down the factory location.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
S400 is the frame size.... You can get the S400 frame turbo with a 67mm comp wheel to to a 91mm comp wheel.. S400 is just the frame size..

Like stated at least 88mm for the atmo turbo..

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Garretts are really good units but their big chargers are outrageous.. I'd just get a s488 and work from there you're probably going to want a loose housing on it. I think they only came in 1.39, 1.15, .91. I'd shoot for the 1.39

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Basically you would have to machine the Wastegate into your existing housing on the 38r then from the exhaust flange on the 38r would be a 3 or 4 inch pipe (called the intermediate pipe) that leads to your atmosphere.. The wastegate you have coming off the housing the 38r will dump into the intermediate. You then put another wastegate in front of the atmosphere to control its pressure and it can either dump to open air or the downpipe. Its really rather simple once you get it visualized in your head

907DAVE

Reaction score
Not the best pictures, but should give you an idea.

20130222_165131_zps0d155ca2.jpg

20130222_165028_zps4b604bf4.jpg

NathannialD

Reaction score
we built a set a while back, using the 38r with a precision 4788. made good power and cleaned up a ton of fuel. we only used one gate, kept the ac, both batteries etc.

Noonman350

Reaction score
we built a set a while back, using the 38r with a precision 4788. made good power and cleaned up a ton of fuel. we only used one gate, kept the ac, both batteries etc.

Do you have any pics if that set up you'd be willing to share?? I'd like to keep the AC and both batteries as well... And Dave, did you just go but piping and weld it all together? Your set up looks sweet!

Noonman350

Reaction score
S400 is the frame size.... You can get the S400 frame turbo with a 67mm comp wheel to to a 91mm comp wheel.. S400 is just the frame size..

Like stated at least 88mm for the atmo turbo..

Just for clarification. When you say 88m comp wheel, are you referring to the inducer or exducer? Or what ever its called lol. Cause I'm lookin at turbos and am seeing like a 75.5mm inducer and 108mm exducer...

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Just for clarification. When you say 88m comp wheel, are you referring to the inducer or exducer? Or what ever its called lol. Cause I'm lookin at turbos and am seeing like a 75.5mm inducer and 108mm exducer...

What I would be referring to would be the inducer.. My HX55 has a 66mm comp wheel. It is a 66mm inducer and a 99mm exducer..

Latest posts

Members online