Setting up WVO on my OBS

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i am in the process right now of building my electric fuel and can get my hands on alot of oil to use, whats my best route and any info would be awesome!! i figured it would be esiest now to plumb it in rather then later:shrug:

Zach

Snake

Reaction score
I highly recommend checking out the forums at Biofuels Technologies (BFT). Their system is designed specifically for the Powerstroke and there's quite a few people who have already done the same thing you're interested in doing with your OBS.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
alright thanks, would there be a difference between soybean oil or peanut oil for runnin it i am new to it and just curious if there is soemthing i should stay away from

Simone0414

Reaction score
Yes there is. There are other kit manufactures that sell cheaper kits but BFT does have the best one. Frybrid has a good kit but you take the chance of waiting a long time for your kit. And I mean a loooooooong time.

If your not willing to spend the bucks for a V3 then I would suggest making your own system. WVO Designs has alot of components for a DIY. It all depends on your mechanical ability. If you have a bit of mechanical experience then you should be able to do a DIY. But it will take you a while to get all the components, plan out your system, install it, go to the hardware store a thousand times for that part you forgot to get etc... You will be burning alot of diesel while you are taking weeks installing your DIY when you just could have bought a V3 & taken a weekend to install it. Your going to save a bucket load of money on fuel so the V3 will pay for itself real quick.

If you do decide to go the DIY route there are alot of guys that can give you lots of info & help.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i will prol go with V# just for the fact that if i am runnin an oil they have it right and its prol better built in the long run, now for oil, can you burn WMO and WVO through the same system cause i can get alot of both

Simone0414

Reaction score
Yes you can but you must keep them seperate. WMO & WVO do not play well together. So if you use WVO in your sysetm before running WMO you should change your filter & run a tank of diesel throught it to flush the system. If you don't you are asking for trouble.

Snake

Reaction score
Yes there is. There are other kit manufactures that sell cheaper kits but BFT does have the best one. Frybrid has a good kit but you take the chance of waiting a long time for your kit. And I mean a loooooooong time.

If your not willing to spend the bucks for a V3 then I would suggest making your own system. WVO Designs has alot of components for a DIY. It all depends on your mechanical ability. If you have a bit of mechanical experience then you should be able to do a DIY. But it will take you a while to get all the components, plan out your system, install it, go to the hardware store a thousand times for that part you forgot to get etc... You will be burning alot of diesel while you are taking weeks installing your DIY when you just could have bought a V3 & taken a weekend to install it. Your going to save a bucket load of money on fuel so the V3 will pay for itself real quick.

If you do decide to go the DIY route there are alot of guys that can give you lots of info & help.

Yes you can but you must keep them seperate. WMO & WVO do not play well together. So if you use WVO in your sysetm before running WMO you should change your filter & run a tank of diesel throught it to flush the system. If you don't you are asking for trouble.

I couldn't have provided better replies than these. Well said sir.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Don't mix WVO and WMO, it will not end well. Stick with the WVO, the system was designed to run that. I've been pretty happy with mine.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
but if say i wanted i would be able to run WMO through the vegistroke system if in fact everything is cleaned out. now on to the next what is the best way for filtering other then a centerfuge kit

Snake

Reaction score
Regardless of centrifuge or other methods, the first thing you want to do is allow time for your oil to settle.

IMO, the next best method is the Frybrid Still.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The best thing is doing a lot of research and a lot of practice. Centrifuge seems to be the easiest and probably the quickest way to get clean oil. Starting with clean oil helps to begin with. If you're collecting really crappy oil, it just makes it harder on yourself and your equipment.

I use a frybrid still, but at the time I did it, it was based on cost for me. I am looking at going to a centrifuge soon though.

Also, to answer your question, there really should be no reason you couldn't run WMO in the vegistroke, but again I will caution you against running two different fuels, even if you try a "flush", I can't see it ever getting fully flushed out. Pick one fuel and stick with it, my $.02.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
so if u run B100 where do u get a heater for lines and the tank? so when its cold u dont gel?
also what about making the fuel?
id really like to make a system i have a few places i can get oil for cheap and at least 3 55gal barrels every two weeks or so.
also can u run like b100 from fry oil and still fill with straight diesel if u need too? or have too different fuel systems to get the fuel to the head?

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
Regardless of centrifuge or other methods, the first thing you want to do is allow time for your oil to settle.

IMO, the next best method is the Frybrid Still.

alright well i got plenty of storage for the totes to sit for weeks, i was wanting to some how do a set up with gravity cause in our shop i can stock 4 totes high on pallet racking and was curious to set up a system with progressive filters

Simone0414

Reaction score
IMHO you should be fine switching from WVO to WMO as long as you do a good flush. Putting in a new filter would be the most important. After a new filter & flushing what is left shouldn't be an issue. Question is do you feel comforatble running WMO period? Boy oh boy is that a hot topic. Some feel that WMO will burn just fine while others feel it is engine death. If you are going to burn WMO heating it & starting & stopping on D2 is your best chance for a happy engine.

Alot depends on how much & how fast you will need your oil to be filtered to determine what filtering system you need. If you have time & are not burning massive amounts of oil per week the Frybrid still works fine & is pretty cheap to build. But a centrifuge can process alot of oil quickly & will filter & dewater really good. You seem to not be interested in a centrifuge at this point but I would still encourage you to consider it. It is by far the easiest & best way to process oil. If you do decide to go centrifuge get a gravity feed one. The pressure driven ones don't work as well. Many guys have started out filtering with all sorts of different setups & when they switch to a centrifuge they never go back.

Simone0414

Reaction score
so if u run B100 where do u get a heater for lines and the tank? so when its cold u dont gel?
id really like to make a system i have a few places i can get oil for cheap and at least 3 55gal barrels every two weeks or so.
also can u run like b100 from fry oil and still fill with straight diesel if u need too? or have too different fuel systems to get the fuel to the head?

Are you wanting to run bio in your stock fuel system or in a second fuel system?

Yes you can run bio & then run D2 or you can mix the two at any strenght you want.

Mdub707

Reaction score

I think you're confused. If you go through the trouble to make bio you can run it in the stock tank in warm weather. On our two-tank systems, we run just straight vegetable oil (SVO) or waste vegetable oil (WVO) with nothing blended at all, just the oil. You can also use the two-tank system to run bio in the colder months if you live in a climate that would require it. It gels easy otherwise.

I've had a few times this past winter that my stock diesel side gelled or froze up and I actually only made it to work because of my vegistroke system utilizing a heated two-tank setup. You can also put diesel in this system without issue yes. I sometimes blend WVO and diesel when I am on short supply of oil. When it was -30 here this past winter and my diesel side gelled, I put about 25 gallons of kerosene in the veggie tank and it was mixed with maybe 10 gallons of WVO. I drove to work on that.

Snake

Reaction score

The Vegistroke uses a hose on hose strategy to heat the fuel lines (veggie oil /bio in one hose and engine coolant in the others). The coolant hoses feed a heat exchanger in the aux fuel tank which heats your source of fuel. One of the many nice things about this system is that it does not share any parts with the factory diesel side, meaning that it has its own pump, filter, hoses, tank, etc. so yes, you'll have 2 different fuel systems to get fuel to the head.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
The V3 system is worth every penny and will pay for itself in short order if ya drive much. The automation is extremely nice since ya don't have to give anyone else who may drive it instructions... The kit is COMPLETE and has excellent instructions. This is important because in the event you should have trouble, its easy to help ya troubleshoot.

Filtering, I agree with those guys - heat and settle (in something like Frybrid still) is KING. The truth is TIME is the best filter, so collecting oil a few weeks before 'processing' it will go a long way toward making your life easier and ultimately producing better quality fuel. A (free) discarded water heater and a couple of FUEL filters is all I've used to make 1000's of gallons of fuel. A gravity-fed CF works very well and allows you to process more oil in less time, but ultimately settling before CF yields the best results.

WMO? Maybe its like when we were first tinkering with WVO several years ago, but I see and hear of alot more failed 'experiments' with this 'alternative' fuel than I do people with lots of miles on it. There are issues still and until I see some significant mileage on some engines running WMO, I'm not gonna risk it. (and I have access to waaaaaaaaaay more WMO and easier to get than WVO too!) There are a bunch of PSD's now with over 100k on WVO, most are either V3 systems or variants of the same design! My X has 99k miles on the high cholesterol diet now and other than burning up a FASS pump I have literally never even tightened a clamp since I installed it. The FASS has been replaced with the Scorpion pump, which is a 100% better design and will prove to be more reliable than the FASS in this application.

Ok, one more thing. Unless you've already done an electric fuel pump conversion, you might consider a (cheap) DIY conversion using 3-way switching valves. You'll need to use a heated fuel pick-up (Hot Fox), TIH heated fuel lines and a FPHE or similar final HE on the veggie lines. One advantage of this is you will retain your regulated-return system instead of switching to 'deadheaded'. The disadvantages include ALOT more plumbing and stuff under the hood, no 'instruction manual' to follow to make trouble shooting easier and no automation means its easy to 'screw up' and leave VO in the injectors when you shut down or pump VO into diesel tank, etc.

Let us know what ya end up with when you pull the trigger!

Mdub707

Reaction score
Jason, the new kits don't come with any sort of hose insulation, so they're not really as complete as they used to be. I know the insulation is like $8 a roll at Home depot or Lowes, but come on... that should be in there.

Latest posts

Members online